What's new

Asus DDNS Unauthorized Registration Request

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pabla

Regular Contributor
Hey all, have been using the Asus DDNS server with no issues for many years. I used to use it for AiCloud but turned that off and use it now for my OpenVPN server. As of the last month I keep getting an error that my DDNS Status is Inactive and there is an Unauthorized Registration Request. Diving into the logs I only see these lines logged which don't help much with figuring out what's wrong. Here are the logs and my DDNS set up. I have searched around and the result I have come to is to use a different DDNS server since the Asus one is unstable, I have really never had any issues with it until now.

Running Merlin 386.3_2 on a RT-AC3100

Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Authentication failure
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: [401 |Authorization failed]
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Error response from DDNS server,

Update:

After rebooting a few times my "DDNS Status" just says Inactive without the exclamation point instead I get "DDNS Registration Result: Request error! Please try again". I was also able to capture so more logs.

May 4 22:07:28 inadyn[2228]: In-a-dyn version 2.8.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
May 4 22:07:28 inadyn[2228]: Update forced for alias xxxx.asuscomm.com, new IP# xxxx
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=1:/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: alias address=<xxxx>

1631559432604.png

Last edited:
I had this happen to me as well after reverting to a previous firmware.... but after clicking on OK it went ahead with the re-registration and then said: Successfully updated....

Hey all, have been using the Asus DDNS server with no issues for many years. I used to use it for AiCloud but turned that off and use it now for my OpenVPN server. As of the last month I keep getting an error that my DDNS Status is Inactive and there is an Unauthorized Registration Request. Diving into the logs I only see these lines logged which don't help much with figuring out what's wrong. Here are the logs and my DDNS set up. I have searched around and the result I have come to is to use a different DDNS server since the Asus one is unstable, I have really never had any issues with it until now.

Running Merlin 386.3_2 on a RT-AC3100

Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Authentication failure
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Fatal error in DDNS server response:
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: [401 |Authorization failed]
Sep 13 11:45:47 inadyn[3953]: Error response from DDNS server,

Update:

After rebooting a few times my "DDNS Status" just says Inactive without the exclamation point instead I get "DDNS Registration Result: Request error! Please try again". I was also able to capture so more logs.

May 4 22:07:28 inadyn[2228]: In-a-dyn version 2.8.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
May 4 22:07:28 inadyn[2228]: Update forced for alias xxxx.asuscomm.com, new IP# xxxx
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=1:/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=R3
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: Certificate verification error:num=9:certificate is not yet valid:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
May 4 22:07:29 inadyn[2228]: alias address=<xxxx>

View attachment 36284
Today the asus ddns service is not working properly, there are outages all day.

Weird, what I just did was register with AFRAID DDNS server updated my OpenVPN and called it a day, guess Asus DDNS service is that unstable

Sorry to bother but if any of you still use Asus DDNS, is it still having registration issues?

I am not local with my router and won't be for some weeks and can't access it thru OpenVPN since the DDNS servers had issues a couple of days ago... I seldom remote but I am sure I'll need it soon and seems that I've found out the hard way that I need a backup method for dynamic IP gathering...

Thanks.

Sorry to bother but if any of you still use Asus DDNS, is it still having registration issues?

I am not local with my router and won't be for some weeks and can't access it thru OpenVPN since the DDNS servers had issues a couple of days ago... I seldom remote but I am sure I'll need it soon and seems that I've found out the hard way that I need a backup method for dynamic IP gathering...

Thanks.
It worked well for me again yesterday. Unfortunately, the problem comes up more and more often, I will replace it.

Thanks.
I unfortunately switched my DDNS to AFRAID so I am no longer able to check. However the service should come back up where you can use your VPN, but I would highly recommend changing the DDNS when you are local to your router again to avoid and future issues.

You could temporarily enable WAN access for your router to make these changes remotely since the VPN will be temporarily broken while you change your DDNS server.

Thank you both.

It started working yesterday, I left that as is and running another different DDNS as a backup on the NAS.

This error right after boot is because the router attempted to do a DDNS update before the router was able to synchronize its internal clock with the NTP server you specified, therefore may be irrelevant to the error you were encountering before.

This error right after boot is because the router attempted to do a DDNS update before the router was able to synchronize its internal clock with the NTP server you specified, therefore may not be irrelevant to the error you were encountering before.
Yes I did notice after the fact that clock was wrong on my router, fixing it got rid of those errors. Still had the authorization errors after though, so I just changed DNS servers to AFRAID