What's new

ASUS DSL-AC68U download speed problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

c0achaki

New Around Here
Hello to everyone.

I have a really weird thing going on here and I'd like to ask for some help.

The problem is as follows:

I have a home ADSL Internet Connection of up to 24 Mbps for Download and up to 1 Mbps for Upload. I know that these are really lame internet speeds but in my country that is the best possible speed for simple ADSL connections. Considering all the noise and connectivity loss, I would be happy if I had 14 Mbps of download and 0.7 Mbps of Upload Speed.

The problem is that though my average upload speed is as it should be (0.73 Mbps), my download speed is VERY LOW (6.99 Mbps)!

upload_2019-4-21_5-37-36.png

A network technician was sent from my ISP at home to measure my Internet Connection and found out that my Ethernet cable has an Internet Speed of 14 Mbps BEFORE it connects to my ASUS ADSL AC68U Router. After it connects to my Router, the Internet Speed drops at 6. 99 Mbps.

So he told me that the problem is my router. I give you screenshots of the firmware Version of my Router. I think it's upgraded down to the last uploaded version existing in the official asus website.

upload_2019-4-21_4-59-41.png

upload_2019-4-21_5-0-48.png

I tried to enable Adaptive QoS and tested EVERY possible setting there hoping to solve the problem, but to no avail.. Both Adaptive QoS and Traditional QoS did nothing for me. I tested with many values both upload and download speed.
Upload seems to work pretty fine. If I insert low values, the results displayed in https://www.speedtest.net corresponds. The same thing happens with high values (value 1 being the highest since my ISP gives me Upload Speed UP TO 1 Mbps and no more.). So Upload works just fine.

When it comes to Download speed, when I enter values UP TO 7Mbps to QoS, all values also correspond to the result displayed in https://www.speedtest.net. HOWEVER, if I enter values HIGHER than 7 Mbps (e.g. 8 Mbps or 12 Mbps or 24 Mbps), then https://www.speedtest.net acts as if no change has been made and still gives me results not higher than 7 Mbps of Download..

I tried to locate if there is a problem INSIDE the configuration of my Router, and found out that the Data Rate of the Downstream Line Stat is set at 8288 kbps and NEVER changes. I tried to find a menu inside the Router to edit it, but none exists. Is this the source of the problem?
upload_2019-4-21_5-2-15.png

What should I do to fix it??

Thank you all in advance even for reading this :p

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-21_4-59-3.png
    upload_2019-4-21_4-59-3.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 591
Hello to everyone.

I have a really weird thing going on here and I'd like to ask for some help.

The problem is as follows:

I have a home ADSL Internet Connection of up to 24 Mbps for Download and up to 1 Mbps for Upload. I know that these are really lame internet speeds but in my country that is the best possible speed for simple ADSL connections. Considering all the noise and connectivity loss, I would be happy if I had 14 Mbps of download and 0.7 Mbps of Upload Speed.

The problem is that though my average upload speed is as it should be (0.73 Mbps), my download speed is VERY LOW (6.99 Mbps)!

View attachment 17159
A network technician was sent from my ISP at home to measure my Internet Connection and found out that my Ethernet cable has an Internet Speed of 14 Mbps BEFORE it connects to my ASUS ADSL AC68U Router. After it connects to my Router, the Internet Speed drops at 6. 99 Mbps.

So he told me that the problem is my router. I give you screenshots of the firmware Version of my Router. I think it's upgraded down to the last uploaded version existing in the official asus website.

View attachment 17155

View attachment 17156

I tried to enable Adaptive QoS and tested EVERY possible setting there hoping to solve the problem, but to no avail.. Both Adaptive QoS and Traditional QoS did nothing for me. I tested with many values both upload and download speed.
Upload seems to work pretty fine. If I insert low values, the results displayed in https://www.speedtest.net corresponds. The same thing happens with high values (value 1 being the highest since my ISP gives me Upload Speed UP TO 1 Mbps and no more.). So Upload works just fine.

When it comes to Download speed, when I enter values UP TO 7Mbps to QoS, all values also correspond to the result displayed in https://www.speedtest.net. HOWEVER, if I enter values HIGHER than 7 Mbps (e.g. 8 Mbps or 12 Mbps or 24 Mbps), then https://www.speedtest.net acts as if no change has been made and still gives me results not higher than 7 Mbps of Download..

I tried to locate if there is a problem INSIDE the configuration of my Router, and found out that the Data Rate of the Downstream Line Stat is set at 8288 kbps and NEVER changes. I tried to find a menu inside the Router to edit it, but none exists. Is this the source of the problem?
View attachment 17157

What should I do to fix it??

Thank you all in advance even for reading this :p

Welcome to the forums! :)

The link below will make you very happy. Your router model is supported by the RMerlin fork by @GNUton.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/dsl-ac68u-asuswrt-merlin-builds-for-dsl-routers.55985/

I recommend you flash your router with this firmware, do a full reset to factory defaults, follow that by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP and most of all, do not use a saved backup config file to restore any of your settings.

Please see my link in my signature below for the M&M Config to get your router properly installed with the RMerlin GNUton fork and have it in a good/known state.

After you have performed the above, do not enter your customizations all in a batch. Rather, introduce them as needed (and if needed) and test them fully before moving on to the next addition.

Start with a base, default installation that has been fully sanitized with the steps above (see the link below why this is needed) and take your time to explore the new options available to you.

Including, amtm by thelonelycoder, Diversion, Entware, Skynet, YazFi, ntpMerlin and many more, including the best QoS available for Asus routers, the FreshJR QOS script, and many more too. Sorry, don't want overwhelm you! But you came to the right place to ask for help.

Stay awhile and enjoy. :)

Awesome!

I'll give it a try and will get back to you!

PS: Only reading your and your team's comments assured me of your expertise! I'll get back to you ASAP.

;)

Awesome!

I'll give it a try and will get back to you!

PS: Only reading your and your team's comments assured me of your expertise! I'll get back to you ASAP.

;)

Thank you, but I have no team! Except for the many friends in these forums around here. :)

Many people suggest various solutions and I fear of getting my Router scrambled.

I will try to follow these guidelines, but I don't know how to perform the following red-circled actions.

upload_2019-4-21_13-12-42.png

I would be grateful if you could list me all the steps I need to follow for the change of wirmware from the current one to the DSL-AC68U_384.10_gnuton4_DSL_1.0.4.7.trx that is available.

If I ask for too much, I 'd like to ask for help when it comes to my above-circled items.

Thanks in advance.

PS: This place is abundant in knowledge! :D

its all done in the router GUI administration where you make updates, save config, load new firmware (trx from PC folder), reset to factory defaults and to clear NVRAM use initialize.

its all done in the router GUI administration where you make updates, save config, load new firmware (trx from PC folder), reset to factory defaults and to clear NVRAM use initialize.

Thanks I found out the menu you mean. I'll give it a try and come back to you.

Thank you all!

Thank you, but I have no team! Except for the many friends in these forums around here. :)

Managed/Purposed communities with teams are the worse... not enough diversity of free thought, experience, and opinion; and too much fudd/spin.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!