What's new

ASUS DSL-N16U wan and lan access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nalare33

New Around Here
I bought this Asus DSL-N16U modem/router a few months ago because I needed a DSL modem+gigabit router, but I recently changed my ISP to optic fiber and now I'm using the asus router as a second router for a subnet in my LAN. I also got a pfsense VM and a raspberry pi 2 running openwrt chaos calmer, but I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Asus dsl n16u. Even it's not a very advanced device, it does its job pretty well.

I'm currently using asuswrt 1.1.0.4 stock firmware (I don't know if ever will be an openwrt or merlin firmware for these DSL modems devices, but it doesn't seem very probable in a near future) and as I say the device is working fine. WAN is connected to my ISP's router LAN (192.168.1.0/24), and Asus LAN (172.16.0.0/24) is connected to a netgear switch.

My question is related to Asus wrt, I can access the DSL N16U web interface in the WAN subnet (192.168.1.0/24) I marked that option in the administration page, but why can't I access that same web interface from the LAN side (172.16.0.0/24)?
I mean, I can access, but the DSL-N16U web interface doesn't allow me to log in if I'm in the LAN net. (I've also tested without the netgear swith, connecting several computers to the LAN ports of the DSL-N16U but with the same results).

That means that if I've marked in the Administration page the option "Enable Web Access from WAN", then I can access only from WAN and not from LAN, or what?

Another thing is, when I access the device through telnet there's a very limited shell, does anybody know how to bypass this shell? if I type "sh" it asks me for credentials

Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!