What's new

ASUS iOS app not finding router in bridge mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mobidutch

Occasional Visitor
My apartment complex recently contracted with IBT to provide fiber internet to each apartment unit via a managed wireless access point in each apartment. So, I reconfigured my RT-AX86U (running Merlin firmware 388.2_2) as a media bridge for my home office desk, because the AX86U establishes a MUCH stronger connection with the IBT access point compared to the built-in WiFi adapters in my MacBook and my home PC. I gave the AX86U a fixed IP address on the LAN, so I can always find the web UI.

The IBT access point has IP address 192.168.0.1.
The RT-AX86U has IP address 192.168.1.1 with subnet mask 255.255.254.0 and default gateway 192.168.0.1.
My iPhone has IP address 192.168.1.123 with mask 255.255.254.0.

The issue is this: the ASUS Router app on iOS no longer finds the RT-AX86U on my LAN.
Why? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Can you clarify what you mean when you say you have configured the RT-AX86U as a bridge? If you have put it in Media Bridge mode then it and everything connected to it becomes part of the IBT 192.168.0.x network. You cannot have a separate subnet for the RT-AX86U's LAN because it's not in "Router Mode" and no routing is taking place.

I see you have updated your post, thank you.

What is the subnet mask of the IBT access point? You must use the same size subnet on the RT-AX86U when using it as a Media Bridge.

Is your iPhone currently connected directly to the IBT AP? It's possible (likely?) that the Asus app doesn't understand subnets larger than /24.

I appreciate your reply, thank you.

I have no login access to the IBT access point, but when I power off the AX86U and connect my iPhone to the IBT access point directly, I am getting IP address 192.168.1.123/255.255.254.0.

My iPhone also shows a "Router" IP address of 192.168.0.1, which is the IP address of the IBT access point.

I suspect you may be right that the Asus app doesn't like subnets larger than /24. I wish they added a config option in the app to set a fixed IP address for the router. I guess I'll just have to stick with the web GUI only.