What's new

ASUS Routers and Loss of 2.4 GHz Band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DGB1483

New Around Here
Hi All:

I just purchased as RT-AX88U router. Within a day of installation I lost the 2.4 GHz band. I was not able to find it's SSID and all of my 2.4 GHz band devices stopped functioning. By re-booting the router I was able to restore 2.4 GHz service. The 5 GHz band continued to function normally.

The odd thing is that I have had two other routers do the same thing to me in recent weeks: my old RT-AC3100 and a new Netgear RAX80.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Don Barar

Last edited:
Hi All:

I just purchased as RT-AX88U router. Within a day of installation I lost the 2.4 GHz band. I was not able to find it's SSID and all of my 2.4 GHz band devices stopped functioning. By re-booting the router I was able to restore 2.4 GHz service. The 5 GHz band continued to function normally.

The odd thing is that I have had two other routers do the same thing to me in recent weeks: my old RT-AC3100 and a new Netgear RAX80.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on?

Don Barar

Welcome
There are some electrical devices affect the frequency of 2.4, such as the microwave and screens for the farthest from the router and placed in a place above the level of land as well as possible to change the channel to 1 or 6 or 11, and then proved on the best.

Channel 6 was selected and 2.4 GHz radio band was still lost. 5 GHx worked normally. I had to re-boot to restore 2.4 GHz service.

RT-AX88U is in the same location as RT-AC3100 and both lose the 2.4 GHz band. This is a new phenomena. The RT-AC3100 never lost the 2.4 GHz band until several months ago. I replaced the AC3100 because I though that I was having a hardware problem. But this does not seem to be the case.

Besides, I can see having difficulty connecting to devices because of something interposed between the router and the device. But to lose the radio all together and not even be able to access devices that are adjacent to router seems to be highly improbable of radio interference. The radio just stops working.

Anyone else have an idea as to what might be happening.

Don

Look like 2.4 GHz interference from other devices. Try to test your routers at other places. See 2.4 GHz band is still dropping or not.

Hi Jayce:

This is not an interference issue. It is complete loss of the 2.4 GHz radio. The only way to restore service is to re-boot the router. If it was an interference issue, re-booting the router would not immediately solve the problem.

Don

Hi Jayce:

This is not an interference issue. It is complete loss of the 2.4 GHz radio. The only way to restore service is to re-boot the router. If it was an interference issue, re-booting the router would not immediately solve the problem.

Don
I was having this issue with my RT-AC87U on 5G band many time. But that loss of 5G band never stayed lost more than few minutes. Never had to reboot for that cause to bring it back.

Hi Jayce:

Don
I have no idea then since all 3 of the routers have the same issue.