What's new

Firmware update timelines for asus routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

silentknyght

New Around Here
I currently run an Asus RT-AC68P router, and it's been especially flaky, lately. I am occasionally unable to access the user interface through the web browser, and usually--but not always--that will coincide with it dropping my internet connection. A couple reboots later, and I'm back online and can access the UI.

I don't remember when I purchased this, but it was a while ago, and now I see that Asus has effectively stopped active support for this unit. Firmware / software support is important to me, and given that mine has been acting flaky, I'm looking for a replacement. Does anyone know which new Asus models have the longest firmware update timelines? If there's a published resource or list (like there occasionally is for certain cellphone manufacturers), I'd love to see it, too. I wouldn't want to purchase a new-to-me router only to find out unexpectedly that its firmware support ends next year.

Let me look into my crystal ball....

Nope. nothing about Asus and support time.

Best bet right now is an Asus Pro version Router. AX86U Pro is very good!

Let me look into my crystal ball....

Nope. nothing about Asus and support time.

Best bet right now is an Asus Pro version Router. AX86U Pro is very good!

Thanks for the update; disappointing that this is unpredictable, but I understand it is what it is.

Is the AX88U Pro as good as or better than the 86U Pro from a firmware perspective? If the 88U Pro is more niche and the 86U is more mainstream, I will get the mainstream one as it seems likelier to have better, longer-term support.

The RT-AX86U 'pro' is crippled with a single 2.5GbE port. As is the original non-'pro' variant. Not worth considering today.

The RT-AX88U Pro may be the better choice, as is the proven GT-AX6000.

The reason they are better is the balanced hardware they offer, and the promise of 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware when it becomes available in a few months.

and now I see that Asus has effectively stopped active support for this unit

What is active support in your understanding? A new firmware every week?

1686784699876.png

Your issues are perhaps due to filled up NVRAM or recent bad automatic ASD update.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!