What's new

ASUS RT-AC5300 Bricked

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

XeXShadow707

New Around Here
AC5300 Bricked
renderTimingPixel.png

I recently bricked my AC5300 with a AC68U firmware with Merlin since I have a AiMesh setup and didn’t realize I flashed the wrong one after. I did the SSH WinSCP the firmware into the router then used putty to flash it. Then didn’t realize the file name. Windows had the alphabetical order of the firmwares. So my AC5300 will not boot anymore. Tried doing the WPS to reset the NVRAM no dice. Did hold down the reset button for 10 secs to go to recovery, no dice nor CFE Web Server. Power led goes on then maybe 20 sec goes off then comes back up. So ending bot loop. I was thinking of a TTL UART Serial to usb can revive it. Since maybe that can get the Ethernet port turned on and let TFPT the firmware stick to it and flash it. It’s it possible? Thanks. Tool comes in today just ordered it 2 days ago.
EQcfYcQWoAA21Qe

Last edited:
AC5300 Bricked
renderTimingPixel.png

I recently bricked my AC5300 with a AC68U firmware with Merlin since I have a AiMesh setup and didn’t realize I flashed the wrong one after. I did the SSH WinSCP the firmware into the router then used putty to flash it. Then didn’t realize the file name. Windows had the alphabetical order of the firmwares. So my AC5300 will not boot anymore. Tried doing the WPS to reset the NVRAM no dice. Did hold down the reset button for 10 secs to go to recovery, no dice nor CFE Web Server. Power led goes on then maybe 20 sec goes off then comes back up. So ending bot loop. I was thinking of a TTL UART Serial to usb can revive it. Since maybe that can get the Ethernet port turned on and let TFPT the firmware stick to it and flash it. It’s it possible? Thanks. Tool comes in today just ordered it 2 days ago.

What command did you use to upload firmware from putty once you put it inside router folder with help of winscp?

What command did you use to upload firmware from putty once you put it inside router folder with help of winscp?
Well I uploaded the firmware via WinSCP client to the directory then used telnet to flash the firmware with this command. mtd-write2 firmware.trx linux && reboot

you have a discord? chat on there? :(

Well I uploaded the firmware via WinSCP client to the directory then used telnet to flash the firmware with this command. mtd-write2 firmware.trx linux && reboot
Well that was rather stupid wasn't it. You should just have done it through the normal GUI process which would have blocked you from flashing an incorrect image.

It's very difficult to brick the router so I would persist in trying to get it to boot into recovery mode. From there it should be straight forward to flash the correct image.

Well that was rather stupid wasn't it. You should just have done it through the normal GUI process which would have blocked you from flashing an incorrect image.

It's very difficult to brick the router so I would persist in trying to get it to boot into recovery mode. From there it should be straight forward to flash the correct image.

I can't get the reset or the wps button to respond either to get to the recovery mode either. I got this far so is there a command to push the firmware back to revive it. I've got the TTL UART to USB. Just don't know what to do at this point. You have a discord?

Can you clarify you router model please, AC5300 is not a model. RT-AC5300, GT-AC5300?

Ohhhh brings back memories of recovering old Linksys WRT54G's with a JTAG.....

Those things could be finiky to recover, you had a mere second to boot the router and send the command

I think lesson learned here though..... always always flash through the GUI, like Colin mentioned it has all the checks in place.... we're all human after all and make mistakes.

Ohhhh brings back memories of recovering old Linksys WRT54G's with a JTAG.....

Those things could be finiky to recover, you had a mere second to boot the router and send the command

I think lesson learned here though..... always always flash through the GUI, like Colin mentioned it has all the checks in place.... we're all human after all and make mistakes.
You have a discord? I'm still fiddling around with the TTL. Now I"m in CFE command now.

You have a discord? I'm still fiddling around with the TTL. Now I"m in CFE command now.
Haha no. Sorry, just wanted to share my moment of reminiscing ;)

Your issue is beyond me.... Ive learned my lesson over the years and try do everything by the book.... skirting around the norm ends you up in the situation you're in now :rolleyes:

Haha no. Sorry, just wanted to share my moment of reminiscing ;)

Your issue is beyond me.... Ive learned my lesson over the years and try do everything by the book.... skirting around the norm ends you up in the situation you're in now :rolleyes:
I guess I’ll wait for some one for help. Thanks tho.

I mean whats the point of using flash command (other than flashing some alternative firmware) when web gui does the same but safer like for example ive tried uploading wrong image for my router and it denied it.

I mean whats the point of using flash command (other than flashing some alternative firmware) when web gui does the same but safer like for example ive tried uploading wrong image for my router and it denied it.
Well does anybody know help me to push the firmware to the TTL on CFE command to re flash? I’m using virtual machine windows 7. Windows 10 does work for my usb TTL.

Have you tried the wan port ?

It does light up but still TFTP still doesn’t want to turn on or connect to the server I put on my windows 7 machine. I even thing that the feature was turn off. It was but turned it on and still didn’t budge. Starting the TFPT on the router is not starting. Times out or failed on the router. My result is sending it in to asus for repair.

It does light up but still TFTP still doesn’t want to turn on or connect to the server I put on my windows 7 machine. I even thing that the feature was turn off. It was but turned it on and still didn’t budge. Starting the TFPT on the router is not starting. Times out or failed on the router. My result is sending it in to asus for repair.

Im curious if Asus will accept it since using official methods wont allow you to brick router this way ( wrong firmware prevention ). From what i know in my country they would deny it probably.

Sorry if this too late but I also went through this same problem this week with my RT-AC5300. Has anyone found a way around this aside from buying a new router? If there was a way to dump the firmware via serial, I could perform the flash or if there is a way to get the WAN port to act as say en0 then I could flash the router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!