What's new

Asus RT-AC56U and External HDD issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crashed

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right area but I have a simple yet annoying issue with my new Asus RT-AC56U.

I have a 2.5" HDD, USB 3.0 connected to the router, and it does not detect the hard drive.

I have formatted the hard drive with NTFS partition, and even removed the partition and still cannot be detected.

Do I have a defective router? Or do I have to actually use a full 3.5" hard drive with its own power source?

FYI. I do have both USB connections plugged in to make sure there is no power issue with the external drive.

I would try powering the enclosure/drive from an external power source, as opposed to power-over-bus like you're attempting to do now, then retesting. That should pinpoint whether it's a power issue or not. If it's not a power issue, it may be firmware-related. Make sure you're firmware is the latest version from Asus. If that's all done, then confirm there are no documented bugs concerning you're issue. If there are, then third-party firmware is always an option as a workaround.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually found out the enclosure must have been fried or something, I swapped it out, now it works fine.

Now I just have a totally new issue... I'm getting an ftp and ddns exception message.