What's new

ASUS RT-AC66U 1750 Mbps.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smile

New Around Here
I have ASUS RT-AC66U with speed 1.3 Gbps+ 450 Mbps.
My question is if my broadband provider provide me download speed 50Mbps and upload speed 10Mbps. Is it worth to buy high speed router ?
I need 5 GHz out side of my home with good signal, but ASUSRT-AC66U is unable to give me signal out side of home.
I read about ASUS GT5300, but i think that's very expensive.

6e2b60138fb879ac658e6f11e9a8150b.jpg

The 5ghz signal doesn't travel as far as the 2.4ghz. You are going to have problems getting the signal outside, regardless of the router you buy.

5ghz signals won't go far. Buy a good Access Point & place it where you want to get signal.
something like UniFi UAP AC Lite

A couple of RT-AC66U B1 routers in a mesh network may be a cost effective solution. Cost for the B1 is just over 100 bucks. Good solid dual core router!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Lacking detail I'll make some guesses;
  • Your current router should be more than adequate for a 50 x 10 Mbps service.
  • Do you really need 5GHz outside? Perhaps 2.4 GHz is good enough?
  • Where is your current router located? Perhaps you can move it up and out just a little so it can "see" through a window to the outside?
  • Perhaps a dual band range extender (I've a Netgear 6150)? If you can run an Ethernet line you can use it as a wired access point. If not then you can dedicate 2.4 GHz as the "back haul" and use 5 GHz for clients.

if my broadband provider provide me download speed 50Mbps and upload speed 10Mbps. Is it worth to buy high speed router ?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

if my broadband provider provide me download speed 50Mbps and upload speed 10Mbps. Is it worth to buy high speed router ?

Your current router already has higher speed than your ISP. Your first post noted that you were looking for more range. Try moving the router, even if only a foot or two--location is everything. Try changing the antenna positions so they are at right angles to the direction of the remote client.

Many of us have also improved range with aftermarket antennas, although an equal number says that is pure blarney. I'm going to design another experiment today to see if I can document my results better than I did the last time by changing only ONE variable--the antennas themselves. That won't prove that they will help in every situation, but it should document whether they CAN help in SOME situations.

Your current router already has higher speed than your ISP. Your first post noted that you were looking for more range. Try moving the router, even if only a foot or two--location is everything. Try changing the antenna positions so they are at right angles to the direction of the remote client.

Many of us have also improved range with aftermarket antennas, although an equal number says that is pure blarney. I'm going to design another experiment today to see if I can document my results better than I did the last time by changing only ONE variable--the antennas themselves. That won't prove that they will help in every situation, but it should document whether they CAN help in SOME situations.
Thanks for your answer. Do you know why new GT-5300 is very expensive. Is that better then other like RT-AC88U.

Thanks for your answer. Do you know why new GT-5300 is very expensive. Is that better then other like RT-AC88U.

"Better" is like "is a Ferrari better than a Honda"? There is no single answer. First you have know what the car is being used for (grocery-getting or track day?), who is operating it (Aunt Sally or Fernando Alonso?), and whether reliability is a consideration (the Honda wins there!). In the case of WiFi routers some of the features designed into the newer ones cannot even be used by older clients.

For the case you have described your router is sufficient. One person has described very slightly better range for the AC86 model but don't expect miracles. The GT-5300 has more features and bandwidth than makes any sense for your installation. It costs more because there are buyers who simply must have the newest and fanciest of everything even if it is no better in everyday use, and ASUS can therefore ask a higher price for "bragging rights."

Before jumping ahead please study this article.

Fantastic [emoji5] very good answer with examples. Thanks for help.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!