What's new

Asus RT-AC66U only lets me log in once

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mike Mckay

New Around Here
After a disappointing "support" session from Asus a friend suggested I tried to post my problem on here to see if anyone might have an answer

The problem with my router is that I can log in once after a complete reset, all menus work perfectly but the moment I log out, even without changing any settings other than Wifi and login passwords when I try to log back in the browser from any PC just sits there endlessly, times out or says it cant reach the host

I can however ping the router and the wireless and lan access and internet access all work fine

But if I ever need to change a setting I have to try and do it in one shot after a complete hard reset and hope I get it right first time

This has been the same since the original firmware version and has remained all the way up to the 4005 variant which is the latest one on the site which hadn't been an issue until now but I wanted to have a play with the Utorrent download and plugging in a hard drive which is almost impossible with it working like this

Has anyone had the same problem? And if so did you solve it?

Also, I have only used the standard Asus roms, would changing to a third party rom be likely to solve the issue or is it more likely to be a hardware problem?

All I got from asus was over an hours worth of upgrading to the exact same rom version three times and countless hard resets and reboots all of which had the exact same outcome of not being able to log back in after logging out after changing the passwords. The login screen "sometimes" comes up, but once the correct password and username is entered and the button to log in is clicked it just freezes then instead of before the login screen even appears

I am pretty close to just binning this as it just feels like a pile of junk and buying a totally different make and avoiding asus entirely from now on if nobody has a solution I can try

Cheers in advance for any help/advice offered

Did you try clearing your browser cache? Or using a different browser?

Yeah, tried logging in from three different machines too as well as chrome, IE11, Edge, firefox, dolphin on my phone as well as the Asus Aicloud app on my phone

All time out after I log out after a factory reset

Two things to check....
- Are you using any 3rd party ant-virus suites? Some are know to cause problems with their network security settings. ESET and Avast for example have to have the router address whitelisted to prevent problems.
- If you are blocking cookies add an exception for the router.

Tbh (don't laugh lol) but nowadays I am just using the inbuilt windows 10 protection and one of the PCs was a fully upgraded but clean build with no apps installed at all

But after a factory reset of the router any PC can log in for the initial set up with no problem, it doesn't cause a problem until the router reboots for the first time after a factory reset and that's when I cant log back in even if I keep the window open and just refresh the window. Closing it, rebooting the PC and then trying again makes no difference either which I did to rule out it being an issue with using the same session

Make sure you use a "simple" password, i.e. avoid any fancy or accented characters in it.

Same for username, SSID and WPA keys.