What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Dual Band AC2900 Wireless Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i only get 12 mb/s :/

i tested a usb ssd, usb hdd and a flash drive, all are able to get above 100mb/s. i also disabled the USB 3.0 interference option. no change for me. smb2 ... smb ... ftp all the same 12 mb/s.

(gigabit lan connection)

some ideas? thanks :)

AiProtection enabled?

There is a SMB/FTP throughput bug if turned on in latest firmware.

thanks, that really seems to be the reason. is there no fix?

Not yet, we'll have to wait for next release.

Not sure if your using stock or Merlin's but he'll be releasing an update soon with newer code from Asus, still not sure if it'll be fixed though.

Not yet, we'll have to wait for next release.

Not sure if your using stock or Merlin's but he'll be releasing an update soon with newer code from Asus

I won't, GPL 18991 is not compatible with the older precompiled components for the RT-AC86U. That model will have to wait for the next release after that, provided Asus has a new GPL for it by then.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've tried searching for the discussion about this as I do recall it being talked about, but I have to say, the search function on this forum leaves a lot to be desired; great and valuable forum, but the searching ability...

Anyway, other than losing about 50 addresses, is there any reason to change the default router address of 192.168.50.1?

Thanks

the search function on this forum leaves a lot to be desired

I recommend using Google when searching forums, their index tend to be more complete than what's provided by most forum software.

Code:
site:snbforums.com string-to-search

So, between one AC88U and one AC86U, which one is the best?

Based on my testing (see my review of the devices in this subforum), I think the AC86U wins by a good margin due to better performance at longer range, better handling of many small files, and much better VPN server capability.

i only get 12 mb/s :/

i tested a usb ssd, usb hdd and a flash drive, all are able to get above 100mb/s. i also disabled the USB 3.0 interference option. no change for me. smb2 ... smb ... ftp all the same 12 mb/s.

(gigabit lan connection)

some ideas? thanks :)

Look at the test I did.

Impressive speeds on USB 3.1 that are approaching my dedicated NAS.

I am planning to buy this router soon and Washington wondering about something.

Here in many Canadian online stores, they seem to sell two versions of the router, with a small price difference:

RT-AC86U
RT-AC86U/CA

I did search online and even on Asus website, but I did not find any information about this.

I know Asus often have different part numbers for exact same model, it could be the case, but I wanted to ask you guys about it.

Envoyé de mon SM-G930W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

Based on my testing (see my review of the devices in this subforum), I think the AC86U wins by a good margin due to better performance at longer range, better handling of many small files, and much better VPN server capability.

Yah but looks like the AC88U has a better hardware, right?

I did search online and even on Asus website, but I did not find any information about this.

CA is usually just the Canadian SKU, which comes with bilingual documentation.

Yah but looks like the AC88U has a better hardware, right?

Yes and no. RT-AC88U has a better 2.4 GHz chip and a second network switch, but the RT-AC86U has a newer revision of the 5 GHz chip and a better CPU.

Getting some, although not frequent, disconnections on 5ghz (I haven't tried 2.4, I will do so tomorrow). It happens once or twice a day for 2 seconds when gaming. I probably wouldnt notice it if I wasn't playing a game, so I can't tell if it happens more often than that. I just hope it gets fixed one day because thats still annoying.

Other than that, its an excellent router. Much better than my AC87U or any other routers I have owned before.

Yes and no. RT-AC88U has a better 2.4 GHz chip and a second network switch, but the RT-AC86U has a newer revision of the 5 GHz chip and a better CPU.

Even though the AC86U has a "lesser" 2.4 GHz chip, it still held its own or beat my AC3100 in 3 out of 4 data transfer tests that I performed on the 2.4 GHz band. The larger size of the AC3100/88U and the fourth antenna give the impression that it should be the better unit, but the diminutive AC86U is the better choice IMHO. If more ethernet ports are needed, a $50 (or less) switch will remedy that.

Last edited:

thanks for explanation, so which one is better to buy? I am confuse about which one to get :oops::rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!