What's new

ASUS RT AC86U Stability issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vonplatz

Occasional Visitor
Long story...

I bought an RT ACU68 to act as the router on my home network. Set the integrated ONT and router (Mitrastar HGU GPT-2541GNAC) provided by my IP (Movistar, Spain) into bridge mode and set up the 68U as router, so far so good.

I needed more WiFi coverage so I bought an RT AC86U to replace the 68U as main router and to use the 68U as an AI mesh node.

However, since setting up the 86U the WiFi is unstable, frequently cutting out and slow.

I updated the firmware on the 86U both to Asus and Asus WRT but the issue persists.

I exchanged the 86U thinking it could be a hardware problem but today I uploaded the old config to the new 86u they sent me and it's the same, suggesting it's a config issue.

I'm certainly no expert in these things as you may be able to tell, but I would appreciate some help if anyone thinks they could.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong on your side, many have these problems.
Update to latest firmware on both routers.
First dont load saved config if you want to fix things, you have to do it from scratch after a factory reset with initialize (from GUI and better with WPS-button too).
Use fix channels for both bands and no DFS channel (36-48 or 149-161 for US). Turn off airtime fairness and universal beamforming.

Ok, slight admission, my IT guy at work helped set up the 68u when I get it as my main router and he also gave me a hand with the 86U. I can't contact at the weekend!

I have followed steps from 0 setting up using my IP providers password and PPPOE.

The router days its connected but I can't access the internet.

c741032f4b99d58710bde1b1fecd574b.jpg

d49adb1d9de0d4e11eca7e66053fc840.jpg

Just went through the first stage (for the root node) but with the same result.

Router says it's connected yet I can't ping any sites.

I wonder if you need to reboot the ISP box or tell them you have a new router or just wait 24 hours?

OE

I have very similar issues with the RT-AC86U. I am running the latest version of GA ASUS firmware with the Stability Fixes included. I split my 2.4 WiFi onto a different Access Point and kept the 5Ghz on the Asus router. I still had issues with end points disconnecting. The logfile, filling up with the Classic "DeAuth" messages. After a few hours of testing I reset the Asus Router to factory configuration via the reset option in the configuration. I went for minimum configuration just to see if wifi would stabilise and ensuring I have the correct defaults for this version of firmware. I nailed the wifi Channels to that were free / unoccupied channels. However very soon the end points disconnected again.

I have found two anomolies:-
1) Setting up DDNS with Hostname.asuscomm.com went ok. I then asked for a certificate to be generated. This failed. Looking through the syslog I can see messages indicating the location of the certificate could not be created nor written to . The file system is Read Only so no directories or files can be created by the certificate generation process. Previos version of firmware worked. It also worked when I performed a system upgrade onto the new Firware.
2) The 5Ghz WiFi channel was explicitly set to Ch 60. However every 15 minutes the router "Channel hops" to a different Channel. All the end connections dissasociate and once the router is on a new channel devices reconnect. It looks like some timer is expiring and forcing a channel rehome irrespective of the manual Channel selection.

I have an Incident open with Asus but progress is tortiously slow.
Regards

Don

The 5Ghz WiFi channel was explicitly set to Ch 60.
Channel 60 is a DFS channel. If it detects a radar signal where the channel may be interfering, it will switch (you can't stop that). Stick with channels 36-48 and see if it's stable.

Thanks so far for all the advice, I'm back to square one with a router that I can't get to connect to the web.

I would be willing to pay someone who could fix this for me with a linkup via team viewer or similar.

try ch. 36-48 or 149-161 as others have DFS and might be changed if the router finds radar or unknown signals.

PS: Ok, have been too late and answered already.

Thanks so far for all the advice, I'm back to square one with a router that I can't get to connect to the web.

I would be willing to pay someone who could fix this for me with a linkup via team viewer or similar.

Did you clone the old router Mac to the new one and test

With the ASUS few I cant get it to connect to the net at all, with merlin it can connect via ethernet but WiFi had no connectivity.

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, any thoughts on what should be happening?

With the ASUS few I cant get it to connect to the net at all, with merlin it can connect via ethernet but WiFi had no connectivity.

I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but I really have no idea what I'm doing, any thoughts on what should be happening?

My advice is to plug the 68 back in and use it till you can get your IT person over to sort things out.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!