What's new

Asus RT-AC87U reboots randomly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bokkoman

Occasional Visitor
Hi members,

I'm looking for some help and found this forum. So excuse me if I'm saying dumb stuff.

Like I said, I'm looking for help with my Asus RT-AC87U router.
I've set it up in AP-mode. But for some reason it is rebooting randomly and i don't know why. I was using Merlin fw before and thought it maybe was because of that. So i reverted back to official fw by using the rescue software.

I've added my log.

I hope someone can help me with this problem. So thank you in advance.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 205
After flashing to the RMerlin firmware, did you do a full M&M Config afterward? Please see my signature below for the link to that guide.

Did you do it after you flashed back to the stock Asus firmware?

A full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (without using a saved backup config file) is required to get your router to a good/known state. Particularly after you flash to a third-party firmware or back to stock from one. :)

The reason to do so is so that the new version's firmware defaults you just flashed are properly applied and not interfered with from any lingering bits of code from the previous version.

Simply flashing a new version of firmware doesn't achieve this.

Use the M&M Config and possibly the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature to do so.

I'll try this sometime.
I guess I'll start with a nuclear reset.

How would you suggest i go from stock (what i am on now) to merlin again.
Also, i don't let it connect to my ISP because it is only needed in AP mode. I have my ISP modem/router that functions as the DHCP server.

Note that a Nuclear Reset is a superset of an M&M Config. ;)

Always flash the firmware you want to use, first. Then follow the guides.

I don't know what benefit you're getting by using your own router in AP mode and using the ISP's modem/router for your main/full entrance to your entire network? You may want to rethink this. ;)

I use this setup because upstairs (where my entrance is and also my entry of isp cable) is my modem/router.
I pulled a cable downstairs to my living room where i have all my stuff (NAS, shieldtv, tv etc), but upstair i have one cable for my ps4 (personal room).

Problem is, i can put my isp modem/router to only function as modem, but then i don't have an AP upstairs.
I could switch dhcp server though, but I'm not sure if that matters for my ps4 lag.
Because i want the fastest connection (low latency, fast ping, i don't know how to the call it) on my ps4.
I thought if i use dhcp downstairs it would have to go all the way down (30meter cable) and back up to the modem (again 30m).
Plus i only have 1 cable going down. If i use my downstairs (ac87u) as dhcp, wouldn't I need 2 cables?
What would you recommend?

I use this setup because upstairs (where my entrance is and also my entry of isp cable) is my modem/router.
I pulled a cable downstairs to my living room where i have all my stuff (NAS, shieldtv, tv etc), but upstair i have one cable for my ps4 (personal room).

Problem is, i can put my isp modem/router to only function as modem, but then i don't have an AP upstairs.
I could switch dhcp server though, but I'm not sure if that matters for my ps4 lag.
Because i want the fastest connection (low latency, fast ping, i don't know how to the call it) on my ps4.
I thought if i use dhcp downstairs it would have to go all the way down (30meter cable) and back up to the modem (again 30m).
Plus i only have 1 cable going down. If i use my downstairs (ac87u) as dhcp, wouldn't I need 2 cables?
What would you recommend?
$15 switch downstairs, 87U upstairs as main router.

The 87U is the wifi upstairs. It won't reach down?

The 87U is the wifi upstairs. It won't reach down?

It would be a bad signal. First i had my modem downstairs as well. And my 87u was functioning as the main router right next to it. The signal upstairs was bad.
We have thick concrete walls here. So when i wanted to have internet through utp cable upstairs, i moved my modem up and made it my main router (dhcp) and left the 87u downstairs in AP mode. Now my wifi is good everywhere in my house plus i have utp upstairs in my second room.

I'm still thinking of buying a second router to replace my isp modem/router. Cause the options are very limited on it.

What are your guys opinions on a new router? Which would you choose?

It would be a bad signal. First i had my modem downstairs as well. And my 87u was functioning as the main router right next to it. The signal upstairs was bad.
We have thick concrete walls here. So when i wanted to have internet through utp cable upstairs, i moved my modem up and made it my main router (dhcp) and left the 87u downstairs in AP mode. Now my wifi is good everywhere in my house plus i have utp upstairs in my second room.

I'm still thinking of buying a second router to replace my isp modem/router. Cause the options are very limited on it.

What are your guys opinions on a new router? Which would you choose?

I wonder if the 87U power adapter is failing and causing reboots.

If Asus, the RT-AC86U is a good AC router with strong hardware and WiFi.

OE

@Bokkoman, if the RT-AX88U is within your budget, that would be the best RMerlin supported router today. Otherwise, RT-AC86U is a good second choice.

@Bokkoman, if the RT-AX88U is within your budget, that would be the best RMerlin supported router today. Otherwise, RT-AC86U is a good second choice.

They are pricey though. But let me first see if i can fix my current asus and look into buying another later.
Also, i don't want another Asus perse. A different brand would be fine as well.

I'd get a cheap used ac68 or ac66 for downstairs as switch/ap, use the 87U upstairs.

Hi members,

I've posted a similar thread before.
But my router is crashing almost every day. I've tried a lot of things, like back to original firmware, nuclear reset, other kinds of reset (was in someones signature). I've set my router to reboot every night at 2am, i hopes that it would help reduce the crashes, but no succes.

Anyway, this time I am posting a complete debug/syslog and maybe someone can help me understand this problem.

log:
https://pastebin.com/iwVcmtsF

If you need any other information, let me know!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!