What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Possible bug somewhere in safe browsing filters/code.

The reason being I activated adblock for my devices, its been solid for around a month then all of a sudden cant connect to wired or wifi.

Rebooted modem and router - no success.
disabled the adblock option one by one on each device and they started to re-connect to wifi.

Now testing 1 device with adblock enabled which is connecting to the wifi.

I do use family profiles with content block but that's never caused an problem.

It has also been reported through the Router Feedback option.

Last edited:
Possible bug somewhere in safe browsing filters/code.

The reason being I activated adblock for my devices, its been solid for around a month then all of a sudden cant connect to wired or wifi.

Rebooted modem and router - no success.
disabled the adblock option one by one on each device and they started to re-connect to wifi.

Now testing 1 device with adblock enabled which is connecting to the wifi.

I do use family profiles with content block but that's never caused an problem.

It has also been reported through the Router Feedback option.
More likely the DNS server went down. The Asus app "filter" sets a single DNS server for that device. For me it is an Adguard server in Germany and bypasses the Quad9 servers set in Wan.
If you are going to use ad guard for your entire LAN it is better to set it in the WAN settings.

ya i used to have similar issues on early versions of the firmware, but firmware updates solved those issues until upgrading to this latest version. and yes at one point i did run into an issue with one of the rj45 connectors on the wire that runs my backhaul...that was preventing me from getting 2.5g on the backhaul, but thats been long fixed. Even the beta version before this latest release worked without issues. Highly doubt i won the lottery and got 2 rt-ax86u units that have the exact same hardware issue. I'll report back after using the july firmware for some time and see if the issue persists, though i wasn't having these problems with that July firmware from what i remember.
Just want to report after reverting to the previous non beta firmware, I haven't had one issue with the 5ghz network going down on any devices since my last post on Oct 25th.

RT-AX86U (latest firmware from 30/09/2022)
Do you have a hang of trafic analyzer after about 10 days of use?

Do you have a hang of trafic analyzer after about 10 days of use?

Not Traffic Analyzer, but Web History stopped working with router doing nothing.

Just want to report after reverting to the previous non beta firmware, I haven't had one issue with the 5ghz network going down on any devices since my last post on Oct 25th.
Still haven't rebooted on the previous firmware. I was having to reboot a device every other day on the new firmware or the 5ghz network would stop working.....

Something's up with this latest firmware. At least in my network.

I also found Asuswrt 386_49599 the best so far.
Ya im running 3.0.0.4.386_49599. it's just stable. My system. Is a bit complex with 2 rt-ac86u (2.5 g Ethernet backhaul) and a xt8 node. And I got 60+ devices on it. And 5 people. All my tv is streaming mostly over wifi and last thing I need is my wife bitching every couple of days cause TV's not working right. Forcing me to reboot a node usually.

Plus 49599 doesn't have that god awful vpn fusion. I use VPN client a lot and I hate how it's setup now in fusion.

Last edited:
Well, I do not agree with all the nay stayers. I have had great results with 3.0.0.4.388_20566. Over two weeks uptime with no runs, drips or errors after the initial messing around with settings and going back to a prior version to compare performance. Recently I tested the Merlin 388.1 beta1 and decided that I just did not need all the features and for some reason several of my clients did not like to connect to the 388.1 5 GHz.
Instant Guard and Wireguard server work very well for me. About the only feature I would like is to have the Traffic Monitor history survive reboot. Oh yes, VPN Fusion works well once you get to understand it.

after a full factory reset and almost three weeks of usage, I've had many d/c issues that I didn't have before. Wireguard VPN is a nice addition but the fact that it slows down the whole network makes it moot.

Well, I do not agree with all the nay stayers. I have had great results with 3.0.0.4.388_20566. Over two weeks uptime with no runs, drips or errors after the initial messing around with settings and going back to a prior version to compare performance. Recently I tested the Merlin 388.1 beta1 and decided that I just did not need all the features and for some reason several of my clients did not like to connect to the 388.1 5 GHz.
Instant Guard and Wireguard server work very well for me. About the only feature I would like is to have the Traffic Monitor history survive reboot. Oh yes, VPN Fusion works well once you get to understand it.
My router with the new firmware works very well, except for Traffic Monitor which freezes after a few days (before installation, I recommend factory reset using router buttons).

The issue with VPN fusion is the fact that you have to edit each VPN connection before use and give access to "all devices". When you have multiple different VPN connections it is a pain, vs the old way of just being able to switch them on and off without editing each connection, since only one connection can have access to all devices at a time.

The only issues I've had with the latest firmware, both short term and long term are the graphical glitches in the web UI. Mainly the power slider in professional WiFi settings. Functionally, the router has been solid. So, I haven't found a need to roll back at this point.

My router with the new firmware works very well, except for Traffic Monitor which freezes after a few days (before installation, I recommend factory reset using router buttons).
That is called a hard factory reset and does not always work on AX86U. Known issue for some time. Reset with Initialize always works for me.

Known issue for some time.

I have never seen any reset issues on any Asus router I have ever owned. And most were flashed and reset mercilessly multiple times, AX86U included. The reset guides floating around are quite entertaining. I only circle around the router 3 times counter-clockwise and then press the button.

I have never seen any reset issues on any Asus router I have ever owned. And most were flashed and reset mercilessly multiple times, AX86U included. The reset guides floating around are quite entertaining. I only circle around the router 3 times counter-clockwise and then press the button.

See #13

Never managed to reproduce. Circling around the router helps, obviously. Three times, counter-clockwise.

Only Asus managed to reset some AX86U routers the way the users couldn't un-reset after. Fast updaters won free RMA game tickets. :)

Last edited:
Ya im running 3.0.0.4.386_49599. it's just stable. My system. Is a bit complex with 2 rt-ac86u (2.5 g Ethernet backhaul) and a xt8 node. And I got 60+ devices on it. And 5 people. All my tv is streaming mostly over wifi and last thing I need is my wife bitching every couple of days cause TV's not working right. Forcing me to reboot a node usually.

Plus 49599 doesn't have that god awful vpn fusion. I use VPN client a lot and I hate how it's setup now in fusion.

I wanted to add my issues with this latest firmware as well. However, in my case, it is the 2.4ghz causing issues.

Ever since latest firmware, after operating for about a day, my 2.4ghz clients would lose connection, or the 'latency' to the router itself through the 2.4ghz wifi backbone becomes totally bogged down. I don't use auto channel, I specify my own channel. While this happens, rebooting router corrects it, 5.0ghz in my case was not impacted whenever this happens. If I change the wifi channel, it would recover until after about a day, this same mess happens again. Possibly some sort of memory leak somewhere and restarting the 2.4ghz service would correct it.

I'm reverting back to the previous firmware 3.0.0.4.386_49599 as I would rather have stable connection instead.

OK, after several random reboots and some unexplained issues with WIFI, after a couple of weeks of good operation, I've broken down and gone back a version.
I've also tested the Merlin 388 betas and have been unhappy with them.
Am keeping the RT-AC66U_b1 on standby if this one goes south...

OK, after several random reboots and some unexplained issues with WIFI, after a couple of weeks of good operation, I've broken down and gone back a version.
I've also tested the Merlin 388 betas and have been unhappy with them.
Am keeping the RT-AC66U_b1 on standby if this one goes south...
So which version are you running now?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!