What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The ISP modem port is 1Gbits. (ONT GPON modem)
I mean the performance of the 1GB port in the router, or at such high speeds, the 2.5GB port will not be better

There is no reason to complicate your router configuration by using the 2.5G port for the WAN connection. Leave the router Primary WAN set to the default WAN port (the 2.5G port defaults to LAN port5 after Quick Internet Setup).

OE

So, I wanted to come back after the new firmware had been in use for a while and ask, whether it was still a good idea to do a factory reset after the upgrade. I upgraded from the July 12, 2022 update (not the beta.) The router seems to be functioning normally, I've checked this thread in earlier posts to see if any of the mentioned problems such as bad, or wrong values for settings also happened to me. As mentioned the only thing I've seen so far is the TX Power slider graphical glitch.

Based on what I've read on this thread, it sounds like a factory reset shouldn't be required here, however people have reported different experiences. With this in mind, that's why I'm asking again, after people have had time with the new firmware to see if there have been any other issues after time. Since there haven't been any new replies in a while, I'm going to take it, as this is a fairly stable firmware overall, and also based on my own experiences.

Thanks again

No need to reset.
Thank you, I did do a reboot yesterday after seeing some strangeness in the clients list, but that seems to have fixed it. It was saying I had one of my Apple devices on wireless, and I know for a fact it was a device I use on Ethernet. So, not sure where it was getting that info from, but after rebooting the router from the WebGUI, everything shows normal again.

Strangeness in the client list is there for years. Nothing new.
That's one thing I had intended to comment on. It seems like Asus has issues with managing clients. What I mean by that is, Say I turn on my Blu-ray Player, it connects to the network, it registers with the router as connected. I turn it off and the router doesn't update the status so it reflects the client has disconnected. I'm mentioning this because it seems like it affects the other connected clients to some degree where they either drop off, or are slow to respond. It seems like manually refreshing the clients list has resolved the issue in the past.

I noticed the problem in the July 12th firmware update, and it seems like it only happens with certain devices, not all. I've also compared the behavior with the same device on a different router, and to my knowledge the problem there doesn't seem to exist.

I'm mentioning this here because it seems to be a firmware issue. Maybe it's not the router specifically. but it seems like it's an issue between certain types of client devices and the router.

I'm also going to look around to see if there are any known issues between Google devices such as Nest Audio, Chromecast, etc and Asus Routers, because my Google devices work fine when connected, but I've noticed these strange issues when the nest audio, or Chromecast disconnects and reconnects to the router either by a power cycle, or other form of reboot. The Blu-ray Players are Sony.

So, I wanted to come back after the new firmware had been in use for a while and ask, whether it was still a good idea to do a factory reset after the upgrade.

You should know the rationales by now... they are wallpapered all over here.

To answer your question as you put it... good idea?... sure, it's a good idea, especially jumping from 386 to 388. Is it required, no... only you can require it.

I have a bare configuration and given how volatile ASUS firmware development is, I require a reset more times than not, and particularly when jumping from 386 to 388.

OE

You should know the rationales by now... they are wallpapered all over here.

To answer your question as you put it... good idea?... sure, it's a good idea, especially jumping from 386 to 388. Is it required, no... only you can require it.

I have a bare configuration and given how volatile ASUS firmware development is, I require a reset more times than not, and particularly when jumping from 386 to 388.

OE
I did the reset, and things seem to be unchanged from before at least it's a clean start now. Yes the topic is all over the forums with arguments on both sides.

Yes the topic is all over the forums with arguments on both sides.

People who don't know how to diagnose or fix simple things push for reset all the time. The guides floating around are quite entertaining. If you have a free weekend and don't know what to do - follow the guides. If you value your time - just use your router and reset only when you know it's needed.

People who don't know how to diagnose or fix simple things push for reset all the time. The guides floating around are quite entertaining. If you have a free weekend and don't know what to do - follow the guides. If you value your time - just use your router and reset only when you know it's needed.
At least this gave me the opportunity to see how many default settings work with my devices on the newest firmware, and which ones I still need to tweak. The good news is, I change the same few settings to be safe, but the default settings didn't cause the initial problems they used to. It even looks like I could have left WiFi 6 enabled for 2.4ghz now without problems, but is there a reason to? Seems like WiFi 6 is best used for the 5Ghz band.

If you only have phones/tablets with AX support, there is no reason to enable AX at all... if you ask me.

If you only have phones/tablets with AX support, there is no reason to enable AX at all... if you ask me.
it does make a difference for the iPhone, without AX enabled it usually caps around 500 maybe 600 Mbps down. With AX enabled, I can get up to 800. Now with a phone, maybe that won't make a daily difference. Just sharing that Speedtest shows that the setting makes a difference for that device. I also have the latest Apple TV 4K which supports WiFi 6, but I don't trust WiFi for high bitrate local streaming of media. So I have it wired with Ethernet. So the only wireless AX device I have currently is my iPhone.

My issue is WAN use PPPoE disconnected continuously after a time. Anyone has same issue? I tried reset before and after upgrade from 386, dirty upgrade from 386 has same issue.

My issue is WAN use PPPoE disconnected continuously after a time. Anyone has same issue? I tried reset before and after upgrade from 386, dirty upgrade from 386 has same issue.
To my knowledge, I don't even require PPPoE. I've seen it mentioned here quite a bit, but it seems like it's only specific setups, and maybe even specific parts of the world. Is it a DSL thing since PPP was mainly used with dialup ? I don't recall Cable, or fiber using it.

I took the original 388 for AX86U and on my 2x AX55 I still had to use 386 latest, but still no answer from ASUS, the AX86U with 388 didn't accept 2.4 Ghz clients anymore when in AiMesh (as it looks like). Did dirty and clean install. When switching back to Asuswrt Merlin latest 386 clean, it accepts 2.4 Ghz clients. So when no answer from ASUS is coming, I don't touch 388 for a while and stay safe.
Sometimes it showed a 2.4 Ghz device with 388 for a short time (if it delivered a network connect, I don't know, it was too fast?) and when you make it fixed to that 388 device in that short time, you are lost, cause it will never come online again (doesn't show anywhere anymore).

Last edited:
Some times things are just overlooked. Today I noticed that under LAN/DHCP Server/DNS and WINS Server Setting there are two spaces to enter other DNS servers. As I remember the prior firmware versions had just one space. Also there is a radio button to "Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS " Prior versions did not have this and always assigned the router IP as the second DNS server. Pi-Hole and other users will like this!

Now to find a way to customize the hidden DNS filter....

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!