What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi all,

I have the RT-AX86U router and I'm currently running firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and I am wondering if it is ok to update straight to current firmware version: 3.0.0.4.388.20566 without having to update to the ones in-between? Has anyone done this, does it work ok or any issues I should be aware of?

It's been a while since I updated the router. Previously I have run the updates and rebooted and all has been ok, not had to reset/wipe the router etc so I'm hoping I don't need to do that now either.

Thanks

Kev

Hi all,

I have the RT-AX86U router and I'm currently running firmware: 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and I am wondering if it is ok to update straight to current firmware version: 3.0.0.4.388.20566 without having to update to the ones in-between? Has anyone done this, does it work ok or any issues I should be aware of?

It's been a while since I updated the router. Previously I have run the updates and rebooted and all has been ok, not had to reset/wipe the router etc so I'm hoping I don't need to do that now either.

Thanks

Kev
Go for it. You will be OK. Just in case save a settings file of the version you are on in case you want to go back.

Weird issue after updating... WAN and LAN speeds seem fine, but the admin GUI is very slow, and doesn't load correctly. It's gotten to the point where it won't even load sometimes unless I power cycle the unit...

Tried accessing the GUI on Chrome, FF and Edge - same issue. Did a normal upgrade through the GUI, without resetting any settings. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Cheers,

Su

Weird issue after updating... WAN and LAN speeds seem fine, but the admin GUI is very slow, and doesn't load correctly. It's gotten to the point where it won't even load sometimes unless I power cycle the unit...

Tried accessing the GUI on Chrome, FF and Edge - same issue. Did a normal upgrade through the GUI, without resetting any settings. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Cheers,

Su

If it's not behaving normally like it should, you should reinstall it, imo... Hard Reset the new fw to its defaults and configure it from scratch.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

OE

Saw someone mentioning issues with PPPOE so have decided to hold fire and see if it gets addressed or becomes more of a common issue. I've waiting since Jan to update as seems to have been some issue or other with each update so far so will hold for a bit longer and decided a bit later if worth taking a chance.
I don't really want to re-setup my router from scratch and so far i've avoided it so hopefully bugs etc be sorted out soon.

Thanks

Kev

Cheers,

Su
I am experiencing exactly this same problem..

I hard reset it, didn't make a difference... I think it's definitely some firmware bug.

Me too, but with an AC86U! Strangely enough, it came alive again when I removed it from the WAN and (wired) AiMesh, connecting direct to laptop.
When I re-connected it, everything was OK! No reset or anything fancy, just took offline and back on again....
Edit....there was nothing to kick mine off - I had not been near the GUI for at least two months

Last edited:
I'm having constant issues after the upgrade of wifi 5.0ghz just not working. I have a 2 node mesh setup with 2 rt-ax86u's connected via the 2.5Gb ethernet. Every other day one of the nodes wifi 5.0ghz just doent work. No devices are connected. i have to reboot it to get it working again.

i'm also noticing that after i reboot my internet speeds are garbage. I got 1gb frontier fios. I turn the QoS off and then back on and that fixes the issue of the internet.

I'm having constant issues after the upgrade of wifi 5.0ghz just not working. I have a 2 node mesh setup with 2 rt-ax86u's connected via the 2.5Gb ethernet. Every other day one of the nodes wifi 5.0ghz just doent work. No devices are connected. i have to reboot it to get it working again.

My first step would be to reinstall the firmware. If you doubt the previous upload, first upload the firmware again.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

i'm also noticing that after i reboot my internet speeds are garbage. I got 1gb frontier fios. I turn the QoS off and then back on and that fixes the issue of the internet.

I'd leave QoS disabled. You've got ample service, a capable router, and a 2.5Gbps wired backhaul (enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable wireless backhauls).

OE

My first step would be to reinstall the firmware. If you doubt the previous upload, first upload the firmware again.

Reset FAQ

I'd leave QoS disabled. You've got ample service, a capable router, and a 2.5Gbps wired backhaul (enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to disable wireless backhauls).

OE
i don't doubt the previous load. I mean this is happening on multiple devices. I doubt they both had bad firmware updates.

same issue when i have it QoS turned off. my speeds are garbage until i turn it back on. once its toggled on or off, i don't have the speed issue anymore.

I am currently running the latest Merlin. Can I dirty flash this release without having to re-configure my settings? I am not using any Merlin features not present in stock firmware.

I did reset(s) coming from Merlin, which was couple year old version. Even if I was on Merlin's current version, I would still Factory default, upload Asuswrt and again do a Factory default.

What does this entry in the system log mean? It only appears to me when I connect the KINDLE book reader

Oct 22 11:40:01 kernel: wl0: random key value: 42EE..................

Web History stopped working in about a week time on AX86U. Seems like some bugs are never addressed and resolved. I’ve see this happening on different firmwares and different Asus routers.

Just giving an update. Was able to see Device connection notifications this morning on my iPhone when I connected something that hadn't been in use for a while. The only question is, it only showed the MAC address, no ip address, and no device name in the notification, from what I was able to see. Is it supposed to show more info? The other question is: Why do devices connected by Ethernet not update connection status like WiFi devices do in the clients list? For example WiFi connected devices show instantly that they've disconnected, vs Ethernet where I seem to have to force a refresh. Seems to be an Asus problem, as I've never seen it with any other brand of router.

I've just officially gave up on this firmware and reverted to the one released in july without vpn fusion. I wasnt having the issues back then of the 5Ghz just shutting off, and i hate VPN fusion. There's something wrong with this new firmware as i was having issues every 2 or 3 days with the 5ghz wifi just stop working on multiple aimesh rt-ax86u devices.

I've just officially gave up on this firmware and reverted to the one released in july without vpn fusion. I wasnt having the issues back then of the 5Ghz just shutting off, and i hate VPN fusion. There's something wrong with this new firmware as i was having issues every 2 or 3 days with the 5ghz wifi just stop working on multiple aimesh rt-ax86u devices.

You reported the same similar issue two years ago, presumably on previous firmware:

You've also reported having to replace RJ-45 plugs.

Maybe you have hardware issues, not firmware issues.

OE

You reported the same similar issue two years ago, presumably on previous firmware:

You've also reported having to replace RJ-45 plugs.

Maybe you have hardware issues, not firmware issues.

OE
ya i used to have similar issues on early versions of the firmware, but firmware updates solved those issues until upgrading to this latest version. and yes at one point i did run into an issue with one of the rj45 connectors on the wire that runs my backhaul...that was preventing me from getting 2.5g on the backhaul, but thats been long fixed. Even the beta version before this latest release worked without issues. Highly doubt i won the lottery and got 2 rt-ax86u units that have the exact same hardware issue. I'll report back after using the july firmware for some time and see if the issue persists, though i wasn't having these problems with that July firmware from what i remember.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!