What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Always best to not use a VPN client on the router if you want full bandwidth. Use the VPN on the PC, phone and etc.
Not sure what you mean by that. I'm talking about the WireGuard VPN Server on the router itself. I'm generally using it to connect remotely/securely to my home network.

1664953368813.png

I gave 160MHz bw another try yesterday (20/40/80/160MHz; ch 36). It lasted a few hours before dropping back to 80MHz to clear U-NII-2a.

The router behavior seemed as before/normal, but my only ax client, Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW), did something I've not seen before... it stopped seeing any WiFi networks in Win10. Device Manager reported nothing; disabling/enabling the adapter device did nothing; enabling/disabling Win10 WiFi did nothing. Network/WLANs and other wireless clients were working fine. After about 10 minutes, PC WiFi detection came back to life and has been fine since. At this point, I consider it an odd, one-off client response to a router DFS event. Weird.

OE

I won't drag it on, but somethings been off.

Yeah, I’m tired of arguing with people who appear to believe that the same behavior across multiple routers, working as documented, was incorrect and a configuration issue, but because they aren’t having an same issue now (or won’t admit it), that means there is no problem.

I’ll just stay on 46061 from January, which has been rock solid, until I buy a new router or Asus fixes the firmware.

I gave 160MHz bw another try yesterday (20/40/80/160MHz; ch 36). It lasted a few hours before dropping back to 80MHz to clear U-NII-2a.

The router behavior seemed as before/normal, but my only ax client, Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW), did something I've not seen before... it stopped seeing any WiFi networks in Win10. Device Manager reported nothing; disabling/enabling the adapter device did nothing; enabling/disabling Win10 WiFi did nothing. Network/WLANs and other wireless clients were working fine. After about 10 minutes, PC WiFi detection came back to life and has been fine since. At this point, I consider it an odd, one-off client response to a router DFS event. Weird.

OE

The exact same thing happened to me on my asus vivobook 15 laptop. The wifi adapter couldn't detect any wifi networks until a full reboot. It's not the only ax client though and other clients were working fine.

OE
Did you try auto channel?
Yesterday I set my router from WPA2/WPA3-Personal to WPA2-Personal and turned off my guest 1 WIFI. The only reason I had a guest WIFI was for a couple of old clients that do not like WPA2/WPA3. Had to reconnect a couple of clients but all else is working fine. Am still on auto channel for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Have the 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz and the 5 GHz to 20-40-80-160 MHz. The 5 GHz initially started out, after changes, on CH 36 @ 80 MHz then went to 160 MHz. Later it changed to CH 48 still at 160 MHz. This morning it was back at CH 52 @ 80 MHz and now @ 160 MHz.
We have been notified that the USAF will be doing training with the Army in our area this afternoon and flying C-17's just above the tree tops. Will wait and see if I get hit by RADAR. WIll be fun to see the C-17's fly over the mountain and dive for the valley floor! Likely will have some A-10's in company.

Did you try auto channel?
Yesterday I set my router from WPA2/WPA3-Personal to WPA2-Personal and turned off my guest 1 WIFI. The only reason I had a guest WIFI was for a couple of old clients that do not like WPA2/WPA3. Had to reconnect a couple of clients but all else is working fine. Am still on auto channel for 2.4 and 5 GHz. Have the 2.4 GHz set to 20 MHz and the 5 GHz to 20-40-80-160 MHz. The 5 GHz initially started out, after changes, on CH 36 @ 80 MHz then went to 160 MHz. Later it changed to CH 48 still at 160 MHz. This morning it was back at CH 52 @ 80 MHz and now @ 160 MHz.
We have been notified that the USAF will be doing training with the Army in our area this afternoon and flying C-17's just above the tree tops. Will wait and see if I get hit by RADAR. WIll be fun to see the C-17's fly over the mountain and dive for the valley floor! Likely will have some A-10's in company.

I have tried ch Auto before... it always goes to ch 36 and stays there, which makes sense for my area... houses are not close together.

I could revert from using WPA2/WPA3-Personal, but it has only caused an issue for a legacy Linksys Wireless-N adapter in an even older PC. My only ax client always connects with WPA3.

I think my DFS issue here is an airport and EMS copters that like to go over nearby enroute to a regional medical center.

OE

I’ll just stay on 46061 from January, which has been rock solid, until I buy a new router or Asus fixes the firmware.

I'm going to stay current, live with 80MHz bw (like always), and look forward to a 6GHz band someday. No one around here will notice! :)

OE

I'm just irritated by it, because I was pulling trx around 2400, now lives at 1200. Not one of my AX 160hz capable clients will sniff 160hz anymore. Irritating

Running Gig, connected between modem and router 2.5 ports. UGH, I want my Lightspeed back! :p I know, first world problems, but this SHOULD work properly and it hasn't since the driver updates.

I'm just irritated by it, because I was pulling trx around 2400, now lives at 1200. Not one of my AX 160hz capable clients will sniff 160hz anymore. Irritating

Running Gig, connected between modem and router 2.5 ports. UGH, I want my Lightspeed back! :p I know, first world problems, but this SHOULD work properly and it hasn't since the driver updates.
Guess you will just have to eat your heart out...
Clipboard01.jpg

Dumb question -- are there any hurdles preventing downgrading from 388 back to 386? I seem to recall from my old AC model that some big change made it a hassle to try go from 384 down to 382 (or something like that; I don't recall the exact version numbers).

Been having some odd issues with my AX86U, and hoping that the new version might help, but if it doesn't, might consider going back to 386.46061, the version it shipped with, and see if it makes a difference. 49599 has seemed more troublesome.

Dumb question -- are there any hurdles preventing downgrading from 388 back to 386? I seem to recall from my old AC model that some big change made it a hassle to try go from 384 down to 382 (or something like that; I don't recall the exact version numbers).

Been having some odd issues with my AX86U, and hoping that the new version might help, but if it doesn't, might consider going back to 386.46061, the version it shipped with, and see if it makes a difference. 49599 has seemed more troublesome.

I tried the 388 beta fw and had no issues reverting to 386 released fw. I reset the 386 fw and configured from scratch.

FWIW, I'm not having any odd issues with AX86U firmware.

OE

This morning i had an loss of connection to the routers. Could not connected by wifi or utp. Wifi was up but could not connect with multiple devices. Don't know if its due the recent firmware update om my ax86s and ax86u?
Had to restart the ax86u and ax86s with the power button. I updated to the new firmware yesterday on the 86s and 86u

Attachments

• Knipsel2.JPG
    Knipsel2.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Knipsel.JPG
    Knipsel.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 70
  • syslog.txt
    306.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
This morning i had an loss of connection to the routers. Could not connected by wifi or utp. Wifi was up but could not connect with multiple devices. Don't know if its due the recent firmware update om my ax86s and ax86u?
Had to restart the ax86u and ax86s with the power button. I updated to the new firmware yesterday on the 86s and 86u

Given a significant update from 386 to 388 fw and then trouble, I would Hard Reset and configure from scratch (reinstall) before any troubleshooting.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

o Remove nodes from AiMesh to Reset, wait
o Restore+Initialize root node to Hard Reset, wait
o Configure root node from scratch; do not Restore from .cfg file

OE

I have noticed that when using a USB device, in my case a USB2 or USB3 San Disk thumb drive, the router used RAM goes up to 97%. The other day I just let the router run and in time the RAM dropped to 92% used. I used the thumb drive to sync files from Asus Web Storage. I had not accessed the drive from a PC,

While this has not caused me any problems, such as router self reboot or loss of connection, I wonder if this could be causing others issues.

Also, I remember Merlin mentioning that it is a good idea to power cycle the router after the new firmware has been installed and configured. Am wondering if this would help others, especially those running AiMesh networks.

Also, I remember Merlin mentioning that it is a good idea to power cycle the router after the new firmware has been installed and configured. Am wondering if this would help others, especially those running AiMesh networks.

I agree that a post setup power cycle is a prudent thing to do... I have this in my install notes. A few years ago an AC86U update failed the Shields UP! service port scan... a power cycle fixed it. But I admit, I often don't finish with a power cycle.

OE

Yeah, I’m tired of arguing with people who appear to believe that the same behavior across multiple routers, working as documented, was incorrect and a configuration issue, but because they aren’t having an same issue now (or won’t admit it), that means there is no problem.

I get 160Mhz BW with this setting. No problem for 3 days

1665067425914.png

1665067608981.png

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!