What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.20566

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have to use a non-DFS control channel 36-48 for a 2013 client... I wonder if DFS reacts wrongly to 'non-RADAR' interference on these non-DFS channels when using 160MHz, causing a false postive DFS event.

OE
Don't think so. I have two clients that do not like DFS channels so I just let them go to 2.4 GHz when the router uses a DFS channel as the "main."

Don't think so. I have two clients that do not like DFS channels so I just let them go to 2.4 GHz when the router uses a DFS channel as the "main."

I stream OTA TV/media to my 2013 client... a 2.4 connection doesn't cut it.

OE

Similar issue can be found here:

I had same thing on ax86 with wg:

1665073286780.png

after removing wireguard I was able to get 1G back again (about 25 Jun), without acelleration cpu was 100% on whole network traffic and just was not able to get full speeds that decreses on every move (jun 15 - skynet, jun 22 logs off). Still I'd love to connect with router via WG, for now openVpn is just better.

Installed the firmware update tonight. so far no issues. Only thing I noticed was the slight graphical glitch on the wireless slider for performance. Just got back to my apartment today, and got everything powered back up after the Hurricane that hit Florida. Thankfully everything was ok, and there was no loss. Next month I'm moving and the router will be going into storage until. I have my own place again since I'll be staying with family.

I was hoping the beta firmware would be final before the move so I could have put it on there. However, at this point, it really doesn't matter since I won't be using the router for much longer here, and then who knows when I'll be able to use it again after the move.

I tried the 388 beta fw and had no issues reverting to 386 released fw. I reset the 386 fw and configured from scratch.

FWIW, I'm not having any odd issues with AX86U firmware.

OE

Thanks, since that's not an issue, I can feel more comfortable knowing a downgrade isn't a hassle. I suspect the odd issues I've experienced may go deeper than the router, and am running out of ideas, so I will post about that separately in an appropriate place.

I have noticed that when using a USB device, in my case a USB2 or USB3 San Disk thumb drive, the router used RAM goes up to 97%. The other day I just let the router run and in time the RAM dropped to 92% used. I used the thumb drive to sync files from Asus Web Storage. I had not accessed the drive from a PC,

While this has not caused me any problems, such as router self reboot or loss of connection, I wonder if this could be causing others issues.

Also, I remember Merlin mentioning that it is a good idea to power cycle the router after the new firmware has been installed and configured. Am wondering if this would help others, especially those running AiMesh networks.

I've made the same observation, and there are posts here stating that it's normal behavior. It does tend to grab a lot of memory quickly, but release it very slowly, and I've been wary about it because there have been a couple instances where router function has been affected, though I haven't been able to draw a undeniable correlation between the two conditions.

And more so because my previous AC56U running 382 never even came close to consuming that much memory under the same usage patterns, or at least did a much better job of releasing it, according to the times when I've logged into the console.

Frankly, given the stellar experience I had with the AC56U, the fussy nature of the AX86U in comparison so far has been a bit of a letdown.

That UI glitch in the more recent firmware versions is a strange one. Once selected the slider doesn't look misaligned, it looks like it's aligned to the slider by the bottom vs being centered on the slide bar. It only looks misaligned if the slider isn't selected.

My above statements still stand though, haven't observed any functional problems. I had read through the thread to see if there were any issues that would apply to my setup and didn't see any.

I currently don't use VPN, or WireGuard, or 160 Mhz, and those were the main areas I saw reported here other than the graphical glitch. I also thought I would go a step further, and test different browsers to see if it was a rendering issue with a specific browser. seems to be consistent across the most popular browsers. Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. Also, any Chromium based browsers such as Brave, Edge, etc.

With this new version my wifi devices connect but do not have internet, I do not know what to do

Disable WPA3 authentication?

Also, install the current 388 firmware release, reset it to its default settings, and configure it from scratch before wasting too much time troubleshooting older 386 firmware.

Reset FAQ
Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal - clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE (fw defaults)
Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize - also clears data logged in /jffs partition (fw defaults+clear logs)

OE

Last edited:
When I have WPA2, it is 160MHz non-stop, and when WPA2 / WPA3 is set, it is only 80 MHz non-stop, the bottom jumps at 160 MHz.

Having an issue with the channel selection, 160MHz.
When I select Auto Control Channel the log entries keep coming, if I change to 40 it seems to be fine, thinking no log spam on beta before on Auto Control Channel, anybody has advice or simply ignore?
160MHz seems to work...

Screenshot 2022-10-07 082953.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-07 084907.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if using wpa2 only helps? I have always used the 2 and 3 combo, but never had issues staying locked in the past on 160hz?!

My 160MHz difficulty is due to the router experiencing a DFS event and deciding to clear use of DFS channels... so does not seem to be related to using WPA2/WPA3-Personal (which may cause specific non-ax legacy/simple clients to not connect).

OE

Having an issue with the channel selection, 160MHz.
When I select Auto Ext. channel the log entries keep coming, if I change to 40 it seems to be fine, thinking no log spam on beta before on Auto Ext. Channel, anybody has advice or simply ignore?
160MHz seems to work...

View attachment 44675View attachment 44676

Isn't Extension Channel always set to Auto... i.e. there is no choice to vary it.

OE

I simply ask, because I've always had wpa2/wpa3 set, and forced 160hz with auto or manual ch. set around local wifi interference. "Yes, I've tried auto 20-160hz, manual and auto channels" Prior to the past two updates, I had always locked 160hz in the settings, and clients attached at 160hz. It's not a lock and lives at 80 now. Thought I'd ask on needing to change to wpa2 IF that may be one of the bugs forcing to 80hz for no reason??!?!?! Honestly, I'm grasping at straws at this point frustrated.

Isn't Extension Channel always set to Auto... i.e. there is no choice to vary it.

OE
Shoot, I meant Control Channel, made the change in my post...
Screenshot 2022-10-07 084907.jpg

Screenshot 2022-10-07 082953.jpg

Last edited:
Shoot, I meant Control Channel, made the change in my post...

I can't say I understand all log speak, but I'd say the router using ch Auto is searching for the best control channel to avoid normal interference. I would let it run for a day or two to see what it decides... you may be able to correlate its results with your own observation of ambient radio/WiFi around you.

OE

I have had the insufferable reset and configure everything again while I was alone at home. It seems that everything works for now. I have to put home automation again since I changed the network and passwords completely. Thank you all, regards

Is this firmware supposed to support device connection notifications? I enabled the options in the Asus router app for iOS, and I have the latest version, and this firmware, but when trying by turning on one of my devices not yet connected to the router, I wasn't notified. I could try a reset, but everything has been stable, other than that minor cosmetic glitch with the power slider in wireless professional settings. Also, no one has mentioned whether or not a reset corrects that or no either. So, I'm guessing it does not.

Is this firmware supposed to support device connection notifications? I enabled the options in the Asus router app for iOS, and I have the latest version, and this firmware, but when trying by turning on one of my devices not yet connected to the router, I wasn't notified. I could try a reset, but everything has been stable, other than that minor cosmetic glitch with the power slider in wireless professional settings. Also, no one has mentioned whether or not a reset corrects that or no either. So, I'm guessing it does not.
I am getting notifications on my Android. Must be that lousy iOS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!