What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Speaking of the Asus Router mobile app, is there a reason to use it over the web GUI? I have it installed on my iPhone, but I typically use the GUI from a browser. Also, I haven't heard anyone specifically say the app offers anything specific that the GUI doesn't in the browser.

Speaking of the Asus Router mobile app, is there a reason to use it over the web GUI? I have it installed on my iPhone, but I typically use the GUI from a browser. Also, I haven't heard anyone specifically say the app offers anything specific that the GUI doesn't in the browser.
The app allows you to choose Safe Browsing for individual clients. It seems to be an Asus modified version of DNS Director. It gives you four choices of DNS resolvers:

Asus Safe Browsing DNS Servers

Security 1.1.1.2 (CloudFlare Security no malware)

Family 1.1.1.3 (CloudFlare Family no malware or adult content)

Ad Block 94.140.14.14 (AdGuard will block ads and trackers)

Ad Block + Family 94.140.14.15 (AdGuard will block ads, trackers, adult content, and enable Safe Search)

The app allows you to choose Safe Browsing for individual clients. It seems to be an Asus modified version of DNS Director. It gives you four choices of DNS resolvers:

Asus Safe Browsing DNS Servers

Security 1.1.1.2 (CloudFlare Security no malware)

Family 1.1.1.3 (CloudFlare Family no malware or adult content)

Ad Block 94.140.14.14 (AdGuard will block ads and trackers)

Ad Block + Family 94.140.14.15 (AdGuard will block ads, trackers, adult content, and enable Safe Search)
Thank you for that info. I wasn't aware of those things being specific got the mobile app. I was under the impression the app was simply a portable version for the web GUI.

Regardless of the router IP they should use the URL of:

I've never used this before, so I just tried it.
Chrome gave me: ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED
After a bit of investigation I found that my PiHole was trying to resolve it and giving NXDOMAIN.

Is that what you would expect and do I need to change anything?
I usually access the router using it's IP address.

I've never used this before, so I just tried it.
Chrome gave me: ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED
After a bit of investigation I found that my PiHole was trying to resolve it and giving NXDOMAIN.

I usually access the router using it's IP address.
Dump the Pi Hole and run Diversion on the router.

But you won't do that so look to the DNS setup on the Pi Hole and make sure your LAN subnet and router IP are entered near the bottom of the page. Has been a while since I set one up and I do not remember the exact settings name.

Add the router domain name and IP to the Pi-Hole Local DNS Records. Then Pi-Hole should resolve the address correctly. Example (using an older Asus router):
LocalDNS.jpg

Regardless of the router IP they should use the URL of:

I prefer using the IP address from a saved link/shortcut. I've mis-typed the router URL before (like asus.router.com) and arrived at strange sites, some with spoofed MS security alerts that want you to click on for more malware.

If the IP address doesn't work, then there are network issues to resolve.

OE

Initially the GUI seems to respond quicker.
Should you create another thread for this "test"?
I just need feedback on wifi, not on anything else at this time.

I'm still so pissed off on the latest Asus firmware and all of pretty much 2022 firmware in general. I always update the newest when it hits... I have hard reset and auto'd, manual locked, checked up 160hz, set 20/40/80/160 or even hard locked 160hz and this thing hasn't run 160HZ consistantly since January 2022 firmware if I recall. I just changed channels and auto set, it held 160hz for 3 minutes and won't kick back in...AS I see two neighbors locked strong and NOT dropping their 160hz with their routers and they are not on my main channel either. F N A stupid, I mean WTF level annoying.

The names and device names won't update when looking at and re naming devices, the guest network also now blends under the main channels your using "IE: 2.4 it shows under there instead of guest network when looking at connected devices.

Last edited:
This latest firmware version of ASUS is having serious problems in case you have an iMesh setup. In my case I have 2 ASUS-AX86U routers and all the devices connected wireless to the second router will get continuous connections and disconnections until the entire system becomes unstable, GUI not responsive (only via PC) and ping reaching easily 100-500ms compared to normal 20ms. I am using ethernet backhaul. I reset the routers several times, restored to factory settings and several other adjustments and nothing improved. I have even cut my cables connections thinking about a hardware issue but this was obviously not case. I am using a unique WIFI SSD for both routers allowing intelligent routing.
I installed the latest merlin firmware and situation improved dramatically. It could be that some WiFi devices get disconnected, but the system is anyway much more stable.

I'm still so pissed off on the latest Asus firmware and all of pretty much 2022 firmware in general. I always update the newest when it hits... I have hard reset and auto'd, manual locked, checked up 160hz, set 20/40/80/160 or even hard locked 160hz and this thing hasn't run 160HZ consistantly since January 2022 firmware if I recall. I just changed channels and auto set, it held 160hz for 3 minutes and won't kick back in...AS I see two neighbors locked strong and NOT dropping their 160hz with their routers and they are not on my main channel either. F N A stupid, I mean WTF level annoying.

The names and device names won't update when looking at and re naming devices, the guest network also now blends under the main channels your using "IE: 2.4 it shows under there instead of guest network when looking at connected devices.
I can't comment on previous versions as I only recently enabled 160Mhz, however using the test firmware posted by @RMerlin yesterday my RT-AX86U mesh nodes have maintained 160Mhz for over 12 hours so far. I live approx 5 miles from a military airport so I do sometimes get radar detections when using DFS channels.

As confirmed to him on another thread, it has also resolved the frequent WiFi disconnects and clients bouncing around between my nodes.

You reported any of these issues to ASUS?

Hello guys,

I don't know if this is the right venue to expose the issue that i am having, but here it goes:

I am using a RT-AX86U, initially with Asus Merlin 388.1, Asus Merlin 388.2 alpha 1, and now with Asus Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068, and i am unable to use NordVPN or Surfshark VPN, because i set up the vpn, it works for a few minutes and then it goes down...I check the settings, and i don't get an error on the VPN setting...

I do get is a "wan down' and "wan restore" in the logs...I already changed the modem of my internet provider, and the issue still goes on...

Any device that i set up to use the vpn, get's disconnected, the devices without vpn work without issue (that i can see)...

It started last week, before that, didn't have this issue...

Any help will be appreciated...

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2023-02-01, às 17.33.41.png
    Captura de ecrã 2023-02-01, às 17.33.41.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 52
Hello guys,

I don't know if this is the right venue to expose the issue that i am having, but here it goes:

I am using a RT-AX86U, initially with Asus Merlin 388.1, Asus Merlin 388.2 alpha 1, and now with Asus Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22068, and i am unable to use NordVPN or Surfshark VPN, because i set up the vpn, it works for a few minutes and then it goes down...I check the settings, and i don't get an error on the VPN setting...

I do get is a "wan down' and "wan restore" in the logs...I already changed the modem of my internet provider, and the issue still goes on...

Any device that i set up to use the vpn, get's disconnected, the devices without vpn work without issue (that i can see)...

It started last week, before that, didn't have this issue...

Any help will be appreciated...

The right venue would be your own thread posted in the relevant forum so that your issue can be discussed independantly from those in other unrelated threads.

You might also want to indicate which firmware exhibits the issue.

OE

The right venue would be your own thread in the relevant forum so that your issue can be discussed independantly from those in other unrelated threads.

You might also want to indicate which firmware exhibits the issue.

OE
All three firmwares, with or without scripts active...

Thanks for the feedback, i will do as you suggested...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!