What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U 3.0.0.4.386.41535 30/12/2020

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KingBravery

I just found new released firmware update for RT-AX86U at Windows 7 section.

DSC_04915.jpg

LINK - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX86U/FW_RT_AX86U_300438641535.zip

It's strange that they call out "AiMesh 2.0" in the release notes because all those features sound like things that were introduced in the previous update (40451). My last upgrade was a nightmare, half the day spent re-re-re-flashing nodes, after the "easy" upgrade failed for some reason. I'm going to hold off on this one for a while, nothing else in the list sounds that important to me.

It's strange that they call out "AiMesh 2.0" in the release notes because all those features sound like things that were introduced in the previous update (40451). My last upgrade was a nightmare, half the day spent re-re-re-flashing nodes, after the "easy" upgrade failed for some reason. I'm going to hold off on this one for a while, nothing else in the list sounds that important to me.

This is for the RT-AX86U, not the RT-AC86U.

Installed it earlier, working ok so far, Lyra nodes working (without ethernet backhaul or node binding support, as expected) fine too.

Ah, my bad, the same version also just showed up for the AX-92U, which is what I have, but as I say the previous build added the fancy AiMesh management page. I guess the AX86U is just getting it now?

Can anyone post a screenshot of the WAN page? Just want to check if a planned feature made it into this release.

Can anyone post a screenshot of the WAN page? Just want to check if a planned feature made it into this release.
Is it right? I noticed new features "Nat type" like in Merlin firmware.

DSC_04916.jpg

Is it right? I noticed new features "Nat type" like in Merlin firmware.

Yep. That was one of the features we discussed about getting it added to the stock firmware. I was just surprised they didn't list it in the changelog, for many users this will be a pretty big deal.

There are more coming up. I suspect at least a second one is already there in that release as well, but just under the hood.

Yep. That was one of the features we discussed about getting it added to the stock firmware. I was just surprised they didn't list it in the changelog, for many users this will be a pretty big deal.

There are more coming up. I suspect at least a second one is already there in that release as well, but just under the hood.
I wish they would implement your WiFi connection log page, it’s so much better than the stock one.

Maybe they think that doing so might offend your work, so just release it quietly?

Maybe they think that doing so might offend your work, so just release it quietly?

Why would it? We actually exchanged a few emails about that specific feature, so it's not as if it was a surprise or anything, I knew it was coming. Probably just that whoever on the dev team that implemented it didn't feel it was worth reporting it to whoever builds the changelog. That changelog was already fairly long compared to their usual changelogs.

Any need to upgrade firmware if not using AiMesh 2.0?

Upgraded and works just fine. Thank you Asus for keeping us entertained :)

Any need to upgrade firmware if not using AiMesh 2.0?
I installed the latest firmware today and I haven't experienced any issues so far. Speed and stability are great just like the previous firmware. My ISP is 1000/30 and over WiFi (3x3 AC MacBook Pro) I am able to run a speed test at 900/30 which is amazing. I don't use AiMesh, AiProtection, or QoS. This is the best WiFi router I have used so far, it replaced a Synology RT2600AC.

“Dirty Upgrade” yesterday...had some issues with my TP Link Access Point after the upgrade. Clients wouldn’t connect reliably to the AP.
Did a router reboot and restarted the AP, this solved the issue I believe...

Is a clean install recommended for this firmware?

I would consider this the first stable build with the newly added features (if continued to be proven so with more time) for the 386.xxx branch. I would recommend a full M&M Config (reset, formatting JFFS and no saved backup files) be done to get the most out of it for the longest time possible.

Dirty update to 3.0.0.4.386.41535, only disconnect Usb drive, no problems with updating and settings are retained

Points noted for now.
Guest network 1 (in use for Tuya stuff and only 2.4Ghz) switched to ip 192.168.101.x as expected.
Client list acting strange, all Guest network 1 clients are on the Wireless Tab, All other Wifi clients that use 2.4Ghz are on de Wired Tab.
Wifi client on 5GHz are on the Wireless Tab.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!