What's new

Asus rt-ax86u 5ghz band crashing with new firmware when downloading

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Merlin,

You probably saw that I agree with you regarding WiFi issues and found two of the most consistent people reporting issues do not have issues related Asus router related bugs. One has environmental issues and a bad design that compounds the issue. The other simply disappointed that the clients don't connect to the AP he would expect them to. The clients work fine so I don't consider this an issue.

As far as initial setup of a node, using my RT-AX86U as the router, Another RT-AX86U would not join the mesh when 1 meter away from the router. It joined immediately when I connected via an ethernet jumper. The same happened with my XD6. This was reputable when I set them up in May of 2022. I have not retested with the latest code yet if you would like I can test again.

Happy Holidays and thank you for all you do

Morris
@Morris you are patronising and it is hard to remain polite. You are not the only non-amateur on this forum, or person able to design, diagnose and build networks. However you jump to conclusions with minimal information and assume that others have no knowledge.

In my case I have a couple of times pointed out that I am experienced, but you still seem to ignore this and jump to conclusions that are clearly not valid if you've read the information posted.

In my case I use a mesh network because I need to work around the physical limitations of my home. I designed and built my network to function as necessary, however there are some specific bugs in the Asus code (NOT Merlin) that inhibit it's correct functionality at the moment.

I have reported this to Asus directly, but hope that my posts on here might serve 2 purposes - help others facing similar issues (these seem to be specific use cases) and also gather further information that can lead to a fix from Asus or a better work around for myself.

I am currently back on that most recent 386 builds with my config "frigs" in place and my entire network is performing exactly as designed. But I have no upgrade path for features or security vulnerabilities until the bugs are resolved and therefore wish to contribute.

Not at all - I am an IT Infrastructure Architect (formerly Engineer) of 30+ years experience. This has been designed.
Then you know that what you are trying to do will not work with the equipment you are using. Go controller based with AP's using a brand you trust

@Morris you are patronising and it is hard to remain polite. You are not the only non-amateur on this forum, or person able to design, diagnose and build networks. However you jump to conclusions with minimal information and assume that others have no knowledge.

In my case I have a couple of times pointed out that I am experienced, but you still seem to ignore this and jump to conclusions that are clearly not valid if you've read the information posted.

In my case I use a mesh network because I need to work around the physical limitations of my home. I designed and built my network to function as necessary, however there are some specific bugs in the Asus code (NOT Merlin) that inhibit it's correct functionality at the moment.

I have reported this to Asus directly, but hope that my posts on here might serve 2 purposes - help others facing similar issues (these seem to be specific use cases) and also gather further information that can lead to a fix from Asus or a better work around for myself.

I am currently back on that most recent 386 builds with my config "frigs" in place and my entire network is performing exactly as designed. But I have no upgrade path for features or security vulnerabilities until the bugs are resolved and therefore wish to contribute.

I'm sorry, I can't track all your posts mixed with others. Your summary made it very clear that your environment is beyond what the Asus system can do. I don't know if other mesh networks would function yet I'm confident that a Cisco or Aruba (HP) controller and AP system would work just fine in your home. It sucks have to rip and replace.

Happy Holidays.

I've seen a significant number of RT-AX86U owners who solved their wifi issues in 388.1 by doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring their router.

After doing this, I'm unable to add an AiMesh node. It's impossible to find the node to add it. The node is running the latest Asus stock firmware.

Try adding the node after you have performed a WPS button reset, then connecting the node with an Ethernet cable.

After it has been included in the AiMesh from the main router, place where you need it.

After doing this, I'm unable to add an AiMesh node. It's impossible to find the node to add it. The node is running the latest Asus stock firmware.
Have you turned off WPS on your network? It needs to be switched on to add nodes

I don't use AiMesh but part of others I read that were successful in adding nodes is to enable WPS(then reboot all) to rediscover the nodes or use ethernet connections first initially.

Try adding the node after you have performed a WPS button reset, then connecting the node with an Ethernet cable.

After it has been included in the AiMesh from the main router, place where you need it.
Thank you! This solution really helped me adding a node.

Thank you! This solution really helped me adding a node.
I think my experience is relevant to this thread as I have been battling AX86U disconnects/frequent reboot issue since 386.5 fw update June 2022. I had sent this unit for RMA, and I have received a quote to fix it for approx $200, as apparently I ran out of warranty per the rep on 11/27/22. I was always of opinion that this was a FW issue, and in hindsight should have initiated this RMA sooner but the bigger question is reliability of this device for initial adopters. The MTBF is apparently very low. I baby my devices and these run in a very good environment and I can't point to anything on that aspect causing an early failure. fyi The quote points out following before slapping a $200 charge to fix -
90IG05F1-MA1G1V​
RT-AX86U/US/11/P_US​
[IGZP04]Wireless 2.4G often disconnected​

This flagship device is failing within 24-30 months of launch and there may be more to it as I see multiple threads with similar issues. AX86S and PRO may not have these issues or are 2nd generation covering this initial production cycles that have this HW issue. For me there is no transparency in the process to tell either way. I have exhausted all options including emailing CEO, direct emails, Messages to executives on LinkedIn all falls on deaf ears, I guess I should move on. Bummer, ASUS.

Let us know what other make you pick for your next router.. if the ax86u suited you maybe the Synolgy 6600?

Reactions: Log
I think my experience is relevant to this thread as I have been battling AX86U disconnects/frequent reboot issue since 386.5 fw update June 2022. I had sent this unit for RMA, and I have received a quote to fix it for approx $200, as apparently I ran out of warranty per the rep on 11/27/22. I was always of opinion that this was a FW issue, and in hindsight should have initiated this RMA sooner but the bigger question is reliability of this device for initial adopters. The MTBF is apparently very low. I baby my devices and these run in a very good environment and I can't point to anything on that aspect causing an early failure. fyi The quote points out following before slapping a $200 charge to fix -
90IG05F1-MA1G1V​
RT-AX86U/US/11/P_US​

This flagship device is failing within 24-30 months of launch and there may be more to it as I see multiple threads with similar issues. AX86S and PRO may not have these issues or are 2nd generation covering this initial production cycles that have this HW issue. For me there is no transparency in the process to tell either way. I have exhausted all options including emailing CEO, direct emails, Messages to executives on LinkedIn all falls on deaf ears, I guess I should move on. Bummer, ASUS.

I've experienced many early deaths with Asus routers and motherboards. For both of the products they are some of the most configurable and best performing when they are working. Replacing a motherboard is a lot of work and I've abandoned Asus and since then have not had a single failure for all my families systems. It's so nice to retire them do to the desire for better performance or power efficiency. Routers are rather easy to replace so I've stayed with Asus. Running the Merlin code results in additional QA and in my experience a fewer problems, particularly if you limit the addons you run. Every time I've experienced an early death with one of my Asus routers I've looked at other options and don't see anything that would make me happier and/or more confident. Now that I run WiFi mesh, should my router get sick, I'll swap a node in to the router role and be back quickly. Replacing a node is super simple. The cost of replacement seems to be about $100 a year over the life of a router, small compared to to the ISP bill. Still, I'd rather not have to pay this fee and understand how you feel.

I've experienced many early deaths with Asus routers and motherboards. For both of the products they are some of the most configurable and best performing when they are working. Replacing a motherboard is a lot of work and I've abandoned Asus and since then have not had a single failure for all my families systems. It's so nice to retire them do to the desire for better performance or power efficiency. Routers are rather easy to replace so I've stayed with Asus. Running the Merlin code results in additional QA and in my experience a fewer problems, particularly if you limit the addons you run. Every time I've experienced an early death with one of my Asus routers I've looked at other options and don't see anything that would make me happier and/or more confident. Now that I run WiFi mesh, should my router get sick, I'll swap a node in to the router role and be back quickly. Replacing a node is super simple. The cost of replacement seems to be about $100 a year over the life of a router, small compared to to the ISP bill. Still, I'd rather not have to pay this fee and understand how you feel.
I agree with you there are not many better choices with the prosumer features Asus offers and on top of it RMerlin support has been extremely invaluable. I may cave in and pick another Asus maybe the AX Pro model next. For now this struggle is leading me back to tinker with pfSense, I have had that setup before on a Pi just as dns and firewall, maybe its time to experiment full scale on that and then use cheap routers (any brand for e,g. TPLink) as AP's.

then use cheap routers

No VLAN support on home routers. Use proper SMB APs instead. UniFi and Omada are affordable options. Example here:

No VLAN support on home routers. Use proper SMB APs instead. UniFi and Omada are affordable options. Example here:

I was about to say the same thing and it's also single SSID. Also consider Ubiquity. These controller based solutions are similar to what are in enterprise systems. Take a look at the management platform for each and chose the one you like best.

Also be carful with any security platform that get's it's block list from the community. I tried one out and move away when Microsoft Update servers were blocked. While it might have been an accident it could have been a hacker trying to take advantage by preventing updates to something in the wild.

Also consider Ubiquity.

Yes, both very similar in performance. UniFi is a bit more expensive with better looking GUI. Both do roaming better than most home "mesh" solutions, expandable, customizable, VLANs, remote site management, etc. May come cheaper than crazy expensive home sets, actually.

90IG05F1-MA1G1V​
RT-AX86U/US/11/P_US​

Last year i purchased 3 seperate AX86U's and all failed on me within 2 days (constant kernel reboot and 5ghz band crashing..yes routers were reset to factory with clean firmware. Some on here thought i was loosing my mind, but this thread just re-insures me that these issues are real with this model. I havent tried AX86us nor the pro model (since its $300 cause I'm still rocking my trusty AC86U.

Soooo yesterday afternoon I flashed the latest 386.9_beta1 onto my two RT-AC68U (One is an AiMesh Node while the other is an AP).
And I didn't change any settings on my main router (RT-AX86U : currently on 388.1).
But this morning (just before work) I noticed...
My Pixel-7 would not connect via 160MHz.
As some of you know... Despite me having doubts of this working reliably... I tried it because others were adamant that it worked for them in the past.
For over a week (Maybe two) my Pixel-7 successfully utilized the 160MHz technology.
I could even watch it drop to 80Mhz when I roamed outta range but connected to the RT-AC68U node.
Yet it would successfully reconnect to the RT-AX86U @160MHz when I returned.

However, this morning it's exactly like @kernol described here:

I'll call it, the dreaded:
DFS State: Idle

Unfortunately I ran out of "tinker-time" & had to leave for work...
It might be a coincidence this occurred shortly after the upgrading of my nodes.
But it certainly is intriguing...

I suppose it could also be the result of me failing to reboot all the components twice after an upgrade.
In a family of FIVE I do try to minimize the WiFi/Internet disruptions...
I find it BEST for my popularity & Health :)

So did anyone ever come up with a solution to the actual problem asked by the OP before this thread got hijacked with 150+ completely unrelated posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!