What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (2022/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But this may have been cleared up by a Reset+Initialize. More reset lore.

The only other trouble was after the reset, my wired admin PC could not reach the router. Windows network diagnostics suggested no IP address. A button reset did not help. Then I cycled power AND moved the cable from the 2.5G/LAN5 port to LAN1. That fixed it. So, perhaps cycling power... perhaps the 2.5G port does not default to an active LAN5 port right away. I don't know... I changed two things at once!

2.4/5.0 signals are very good, not 'depressed'.

OE
How is it that you're seeing the unii4 wireless setting with this f/w? After update, pre and post full reset, I did/do not see this.

How is it that you're seeing the unii4 wireless setting with this f/w? After update, pre and post full reset, I did/do not see this.

I have not seen it post reset. My guess is that it's in there and slipped out due to some 'internal parameter confusion' between the two releases. One more reason why a reset is prudent, not lore. But only ASUS can explain it. It may never apply to the AX86U and/or maybe only to the AX86U Pro(?).

OE

Not all SNB Forum members are equal. @OzarkEdge is a loyal Asuswrt advocate for years and a recognized sponsor in Asus' RT-AC86U project. He may be entitled to receive additional bonuses as a reward, not available to you or me. Now you know.

I am traditionally brand loyal (becoming harder and harder these last few decades), but never a fan-boy, "often an unfair and out-of-context accusation" of no importance. Your post is close. :)

OE

I have not seen it post reset. My guess is that it's in there and slipped out due to some 'internal parameter confusion' between the two releases. One more reason why a reset is prudent, not lore. But only ASUS can explain it. It may never apply to the AX86U and/or maybe only to the AX86U Pro(?).

OE
The AX11000 Pro uses the 5.9 GHz bands. So your guess that the AX86U Pro may be right. Another reason to buy a new router?

By resetting your router you've lost the reward token. This is what happened. :)

Yes, if you buy new clients as well capable of using the new channels available. It's a chain reaction similar to ISP speed upgrade.
Traces of cynicism and truth showing through. Beware of re-education visits from the thought police.

Related to this update -- DFS support is still tied to my non-DFS AI Mesh client. Arrrg, wasn't like this before the last 2 updates.

The AX11000 Pro uses the 5.9 GHz bands. So your guess that the AX86U Pro may be right. Another reason to buy a new router?

1657712792743.png
Someday the U-NII-3,4 bands may permit another 5GHz 160MHz option, particularly for a dedicated backhaul between like nodes, but U-NII-4 will be of little near term use to existing networks/clients not ready to be retired.

Me, I will buy a new router when I have to and/or when it's time to step up to a dedicated (5-2 tri-band WiFi6/quad-band WiFi6e) or a faster shared wireless backhaul. I'll likely achieve the latter first when my AC86U node is retired and I push my AX86U out to node duty... the AiMesh way.

OE

Posting an update after the 24 hour mark, or just within, everything is stable here. It's actually kind of boring now. I got the router configured, and stable, and now there isn't anything much left to do in terms of maintenance / troubleshooting. Not saying it's a bad thing, it's good when things get to the point where I just use them day to day and don't have to think about things. Anyway, the comments I made last night about paying more and not having to deal with Broadcom as the CPU, and SOC, etc came out wrong and was taken wrong so I decided to just delete the posts and compose my thoughts better before posting again. Anyway what I was referring to is, back when I had a Netgear R7000 I was interested in open firmware because NetGear stock was so buggy. At the time, I was also considering Linux, or BSD for a desktop OS to move away from proprietary software, and one of thoughts back then was, the router should also be an extension of the computer, and why it was encouraged to get one with a CPU and hardware more friendly to open source software. Back then Asus was one of the bigger suggestions for this. However, moving forward it seems like things have changed, and while some Asus routers support the Merlin firmware as an alternative, they also seem to have limitations completely third party firmware. However, I'm not sure who's fault that is, I do know looking at the DD-WRT site, that no WiFi 6 routers seem to be supported, but oddly enough, neither is my TP-Link C4000 which is WiFi 5. With all this said, since I like the stock ASUSWRT firmware, it's not such a big deal. I would still like to see more options for my older routers that could still be useful with third party firmware, as well as maybe a bit more secure with some more recent patches. So, that's all I was referring to in my initial comments about not wanting to have to deal with Broadcom, because of the limitations to third party firmware, if I one day had a need, or just wanted to try something new, without getting new hardware.

I have never had problem with the auto upgrade
It's off by default, so I've considered turning it on, but I decided to keep it off, so I can see release notes and then check before applying the update to see if anyone has run into problems. If you click the version number of the detected new firmware in the GUI, it opens a window showing release notes, and other info.

because of the limitations to third party firmware

Third party firmware is on the way out. Most hardware newer than 2017 is tied to closed source software components. This is the reality, like it or not. Also, third party firmware destroys itself over time. More users want it on more router models and that ends up in untested automatically generated builds with nothing guaranteed to work. Complaints pile up and developers lose interest and just move to other projects. Sounds familiar?

Glad everything is working for you with this firmware release. As I said above, just use your router and don’t think about it too much.

Third party firmware is on the way out. Most hardware newer than 2017 is tied to closed source software components. This is the reality, like it or not. Also, third party firmware destroys itself over time. More users want it on more router models and that ends up in untested automatically generated builds with nothing guaranteed to work. Complaints pile up and developers lose interest and just move to other projects. Sounds familiar?

Glad everything is working for you with this firmware release. As I said above, just use your router and don’t think about it too much.
Yeah, that's what I'll do. I think it's also just the fact I move at a slower pace too, so things change before I catch up which seems to be the case here. Yeah I've also heard people say more and more that software like DD-WRT is now outdated and more insecure in some ways over the new firmware. Speaking of which, when flashing through the Web GUI, and the router downloads the firmware, does it automatically remove the download after a successful flash, or do I need to ssh in and do any kind of clean up?

Sounds good, Thanks.
If you are an "app" person the Asus router app is pretty good. You can do upgrades and save backups (up to 10). Asus Instantguard is good to add VPN to your phone or tablet easily.

Someday the U-NII-3,4 bands may permit another 5GHz 160MHz option, particularly for a dedicated backhaul between like nodes, but U-NII-4 will be of little near term use to existing networks/clients not ready to be retired.

Me, I will buy a new router when I have to and/or when it's time to step up to a dedicated (5-2 tri-band WiFi6/quad-band WiFi6e) or a faster shared wireless backhaul. I'll likely achieve the latter first when my AC86U node is retired and I push my AX86U out to node duty... the AiMesh way.

OE
An ax86u pro w/ unii4 could still play nice with a mix of unii3-only/unii4 clients, if it gives the option to disallow unii4 control channels, right? The image you posted with the erroneous unii4 option points to that ability. Btw, I did not see that gui option, pre and post full reset.

Example:
router control = [149,165] (don't use unii4)
router b/w = 160M

client1, 160M + unii4 capable (doesn't exist yet, but could): allowed to use new, full 160M
client2, 160M (not unii4 capable, intel ax200): only allowed to use up to 80M
client3, 80M (not unii4 capable): just like client2

Seems theoretically possible, but can Asus and client vendors pull off stable f/w and drivers that does this well (maybe after a couple of years?).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!