What's new

Beta Asus RT-AX89X_9.0.0.4_388_31185 Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Agreed. It would have been concerning if the RAM usage was gradually increasing, as an indicator of a possible memory leak. But according to your graph the usage level is static.
The graph is static because I only had the GUI loaded for a few seconds before capturing the screenshot. I wanted to show current RAM usage levels in that screenshot, not longitudinal data.

The graph is static because I only had the GUI loaded for a few seconds before capturing the screenshot. I wanted to show current RAM usage levels in that screenshot, not longitudinal data.
Is the usage lower ~an hour after a restart than a day later? That should indicate if there is a slow memory leak.
It might just well be that private betas don't go through the rigorous optimizations of public releases.

I'm also getting a memory leak situation with this beta firmware. After about a week, memory usage increases to over 800MBs (it starts out about 400MB after reboot) and performance starts to go bad... I have all non-essential features turned off, including AIProtection and I don't use any VPN services. I'm not going to revert to the last released firmware, as that one would just lock up the router and required a hard power reset over time (usually about a week). So for now, rebooting every week seems the only fix... Note: I do have AIMesh active.
I have reported this to ASUS tech. support with logs etc.. Hopefully, when the official release .388 comes out, it will be fixed.

Is the usage lower ~an hour after a restart than a day later? That should indicate if there is a slow memory leak.
It might just well be that private betas don't go through the rigorous optimizations of public releases.
Yes, the usage starts out at ~54% and will climb over ~1.5 weeks to 85%, which is the highest I’ve allowed it to go before rebooting. After rebooting yesterday I’m now at 63%, up from 54% immediately after boot.

So, yes, it’s a clearly a memory leak, and I was reporting my experience so that others would realize it is an issue with this beta firmware — possibly isolated, possibly widespread.

I'm still seeing RAM usage climb to concerning levels over time (days). This was rebooted one week ago:

View attachment 47887
Prior to these betas, RAM usage would hover around 52–54% indefinitely.

This escalating RAM usage issue might be tied to running an endpoint on a permanent VPN connection (not using VPN fusion), but I haven't been able to pinpoint that to be completely sure.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 at 14.41.04.png

I just got this router and this is the situation just getting out of the box.

If the RAM usage climbs indefinitely until the router crashes, yes, it may be an issue.

85% RAM usage isn't a memory leak or a cause for concern (on its own).

I've been testing the beta for a few days. No memory issues whatsoever but the wireguard VPN connection (as a client) continues to drop... not very stable

Just got it last week for a steal price running on beta firmware so far so good didn't face any issue here.

Attachments

• messageImage_1676521354641.jpg
    messageImage_1676521354641.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 1676521412568.jpg
    1676521412568.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 101
Status report: After 8 days since the last reboot, RAM usage has climbed from 54% to 85%. [EDIT: Now at 86%.]
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 11.49.22 AM.png
This is generally as high as I allow it to get before rebooting. I can't risk any malfunctions that might arise if the RAM were to fill completely and crash the router.

Last edited:
GT-AXE16000Current Version : 3.0.0.4.388_22525-gd35b8fe
Manual firmware update : Upload
AiMesh Node
GT-AC5300 ( )
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_48377-g3e428e2
RP-AC1900 ( )
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_49703-gc2cdfc8
RT-AX89X ( )
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe

The above is my setup all of the nodes are connected to GT-AXE16000 via ethernet backhaul. Until recent firmware update of the GT-AXE16000 there was a 10gbps connection between the ax89x and the axe16000. However after the update to 3.0.0.4.388_22525 from 3.0.0.4.388.22237 it now shows 2.5gbps and that i need to replace the cable. However after said update the wifi iot devices seem to work a lot more flawlessly with the router.

side note: my ax89x needed to be restarted every few days or something weird would happen to the wemo devices where they are shown as connected to my router and they can be controlled via the app if you enable their internet connection. however if you try to control them locally or try to access their "http://192.168.0.XXX:49153/setup.xml" they would not respond.

After updating the ax89x from 3.0.0.4.386_47468-g73fe1fe to 9.0.0.4_388_31307 my iots devices keep dropping. These devices include Wemo mini smart plug, ESP-Wroom-32 running ESPHome version 2023.2.4, Feit smart plug all connected and controlled by home assistant locally. Even when I tried factory reseting the wemo smart plug for it to connect to the ax89x node, it was without luck. My iPhone 14PM was also having wifi issues. It was randomly disconnect and go on the 5g network. With that said these devices were not affected at all by the upgrade. iPad pro m1, Mac pro m1.

After which I downgraded the ax89x back to 3.0.0.4.386_47468 and everything just started to work again.

note: All of the above are dirty upgrade and downgrades.

By the way I'm using my RT-AX89X behind my ISP router, since I can't connect directly to the fiber. I can't get more than 3gbps when I do a speed test, and that is if I'm really lucky. I'm using the 10GBase-T port and the wire provided in the box. Do I need to tweak the connection in any way to squeeze the 10gb?

Where are you doing the speed test from?

That's the problem.

Test from a connected (wired) computer instead.

sorry? I have no wired computer connected to the router and even if I had a wired computer I need a computer with a 10gbps network card, which aren't that common.

The only thing I have with a 10gbps card are both routers, not to mention that if I really want to know if I can get 10gbps from the router to another router I need first to figure out the router behind is getting the 10. If not I want to know if it's because a router configuration or just that my ISP is not as good as expected.

The router is simply too underpowered to give you valid results for your ISP speeds.

Unless/until you get a wired computer you can test with, there is nothing else to do.

Hey!

Sorry I'm a little bit lost in there… do you mean that the router can't provide the 10gbps even if there is a port on it for it? or is just the speedtest that the router is not capable of carry it out? I'm a little bit puzzle about that, even when I understand what you are saying.

In other words… if I connect a computer to the sfp+ port on the RT-AX89X with a network card capable of 10gbps perhaps I would get something close to, with my current setup. But at the same time the router is not capable of make speed test close to that figure?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!