What's new

ASUS RT-N56U and RT-AC66R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rdf123

New Around Here
Hello.

I have an N56U as my main router in my house and just recently installed an AC66R on the first floor of the house to provide better coverage for outside in the yard and in the garage.

I have the AC66R set up in AP mode and am currently using different SSID names for upstairs and downstairs. I started out using the same SSID but noticed that my mobile devices we not really roaming all that well. I have the AC66R WAN port wired to one of the LAN ports on the N56U.

1st question...Which is the better router? I have no problems switching the roles of both units. All the downstairs unit is running is an amazon fire box which is a client to my Plex server upstairs. Is there an advantage to switching roles of these units?

2nd question...SSID naming. Is it better to have different SSIDs for each router or should they be the same throughout the house?

Any tips or advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Which is the better router?

the ac66 by a fair margin

Is there an advantage to switching roles of these units?

the main router is doing the heavy lifting so it may as well be the best so use the 66r down stairs and the n56 in ap mode , wifi may not be as good outside though compared to the 66r

2nd question...SSID naming. Is it better to have different SSIDs for each router or should they be the same throughout the house?

tbh it doesnt really matter as the way the client works and roams is exactly the same , i generally use different ssid's as it give you the ability to manually move the clients if the wont them selves , the main issue is to not have the 2 transmission so close that they overlap too much as then the clients find it hard to roam or as tim calls it get sticky

hope that helps

pete

the ac66 by a fair margin

the main router is doing the heavy lifting so it may as well be the best so use the 66r down stairs and the n56 in ap mode , wifi may not be as good outside though compared to the 66r

tbh it doesnt really matter as the way the client works and roams is exactly the same , i generally use different ssid's as it give you the ability to manually move the clients if the wont them selves , the main issue is to not have the 2 transmission so close that they overlap too much as then the clients find it hard to roam or as tim calls it get sticky

hope that helps

pete

Thank you, that was very helpful!