What's new

ASUS RT-N56U - VPN server - secure Internet access and home network access

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

striders

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

I have successfully installed Padavan's 1.0.1.8d-p3 firmware on my RT-N56U. Everything works as normal (for now): Internet, wireless (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), etc..etc..

I also setup the PPTP VPN server and was able to connect from a public network (Starbucks, etc.) to my VPN server at home successfully (I use Dynamic DNS service). While connected, I CAN still access the Internet.

However, I setup the VPN server for the following purpose, but I am having some issues (all tested using MacBook Air OSX 10.6 while connected to a Clear network and NOT the home network):

I. SECURE ACCESS TO HOME NETWORK AND MACHINES
Once connected to the VPN server, I can see that my VPN interface has been issued an IP address from the ASUS router based on the range I have setup. Let's say my home network subnet is 192.168.1.x and my MacBook Air VPN interface is assigned IP 192.168.1.200.

I tried to connect to another machine in my home network, say with IP 192.168.1.100, but I cannot. No ping, no traceroute, no SAMBA, etc.

How do I fix this?

II. SECURE INTERNET ACCESS
I am hoping that by connecting to my VPN server from a public network, ALL NETWORK TRAFFIC will be routed through the PPTP protocol such that my connection is secure.

How do I know I have achieved this? Or is the PPTP server is a setup as a "dual-homing" device, so Internet access goes on the normal connection (public network) while home network access goes on the VPN connection?

I think I found the answers for my problem:

In my MacBook Air, I clicked on System Preferences --> Network --> VPN --> Advanced. There is a checkbox that state "Send all traffic over VPN".

I checked that and reconnect to the VPN server from non-home network (I have Clear Hotspot) and this is what I found out (in relation to my questions above):

I. SECURE ACCESS TO HOME NETWORK AND MACHINES
Now I CAN access my home machines. I can map the drive as if I am at home. I will do more testing but so far it's good

II. SECURE INTERNET ACCESS
I did a traceroute and now all traffic seems to go through my VPN server, as follow:
MacBook --> VPN --> My Home ISP --> destination

While before it will be (even with VPN connected):
Macbook --> Clear Hotspot --> destination

So all in all, it depends on the VPN Client itself. In this case, anyone know how to set this up in iOS and Android devices so that ALL traffic will HAVE to go through the VPN server?. I tested the VPN on my Android phone and I CANNOT connect to ANY of my home machines, the same problem I originally had in Post #1 above.

Last edited: