What's new

Asus RT-N66U Drops some non-computer connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Fronczak

New Around Here
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction regarding how to troubleshoot and fix my issue.

I have the above router, and numerous devices that use WiFi in house: two TV's, two cell phones, three laptops, a garage door, alarm system, receiver, etc.

I use my laptop to run iTunes through my TV receiver (a Denon) via Apple AirPlay. I would say about 30% of the time when I try to do this, I get a message on iTunes that says the Receiver is unavailable. Every single time this happens, rebooting my Asus router takes care of the problem.

I also have a Carrier MyInfinity Wifi thermostat. It, too, often loses connection to Wifi and the reboot allows that to reconnect, as well.

As far as I can tell, these are the only two devices that ever drop the connection. My PS4, cell phones, laptops, etc. all seem to be fine.

I verified that all devices have the most up to date firmware so that "shouldn't" be an issue.

About 6 months ago, I noticed the problem was getting worse (dropping more often) right after a firmware update, so I chatted with an Asus rep. She recommended doing a full reset on the router, that didn't seem to do anything to help. Per her recommendation, I went back to a previous version of the firmware and my problem went back to happening around 30% of the time. I'd love to figure out why it happens at all, not sure if it's the two devices or the router.

You have two devices, a Dennon TV and a Carrier MyInfinity thermostat, that are dropping WiFi though they both are in fixed locations relative to the location of your router.
  • I suspect that both devices may not have line of sight with router but you need to confirm that.
  • Both devices may not have the best antenna systems because they are not designed to be mobile.
The next step, prior to replacing anything or blaming any device in your network, is to understand your WiFi in relationship to other WiFi in your living space. For this I recommend installing a WiFi app on your laptop that can provide you with detailed information regarding your WiFi environment. It is possible that another WiFi is competing for the same channel but you would also discover the level of signal in the area of the two failing devices. I use Wi-Fi Explorer on my Mac with great success but there are others even for Windows. I recommend that you look a Wi-Fi Explorer's website (https://www.adriangranados.com) to understand its capabilities so that you can investigate other apps knowing what you're looking for.

Thanks for the response. I have a PC, not a Mac so I'll investigate something similar that I can download.

While I'm looking for that, I just wanted to confirm that neither device has line of sight with the router. However, the receiver is right next to my PS4 and both are right under my TV and all are hooked to my network via Wifi and I've never had an issue with either of those dropping - just the receiver.

I'll post more once I download a Wifi app.

Different devices have different WiFi signal sensitivities. Going through walls, cabinets, and other objects will degrade a WiFi signal.

Assuming it is possible, have you considered relocating your router?

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I really know very little about routers/networks - I had the IT guy from my work help me set this up years ago. I downloaded two different analyzers, and both are giving me information on the 5 Ghz signal, but neither find any 2.4 Ghz signal.

Is this normal? It's a dual band router and the IT guy had me setup both with the same name/password. When I log into my router, I can get to both.

Usually you need to tell the analyser which spectrum to report on. I doubt many show both simultaneously ... But I agree with router placement. If you know reliably how long theses devices stay connected with the current layout, test with them closer for an extended period.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

See attached for the screenshots. For the WiFiScanner, it has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz selected, but no data for 2.4.

For the WifiAnalyzer, I can click back and forth between 2.4 and 5 Ghz. Note that when I select 2.4, it says "No Networks Found."
WiFiAnalyzer2.4Ghz.jpg

Attachments

• WiFiScanner.jpg
    WiFiScanner.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 397
  • WiFiAnalyzer5Ghz.jpg
    WiFiAnalyzer5Ghz.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 396
I'm guessing you know the 2.4Ghz is working so I wouldn't get to caught up with whether this software can interface correctly with your hardware. It may just be a limitation of that software with your hardware. Maybe try a mobile app like WifiAnalyzer.

Testing at a closer proximity will at least eliminate the device's send strength or interference as the issue.

Sorry just realised you were using WifiAnalyzer ... But yeah, try the mobile app.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!