What's new

ASUS RT-N66U new firmware version 178

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaveMishSr

Very Senior Member
You can get the new stock firmware version 3.0.0.3.178 at:

http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN66U/#download

Changelog:

Fixed
1. Comcast IPv6 related issues.
2. UPnP media server restart
3. Wireless radio schedule setting issue

Modify
1. Update 3G/4G modem profiles
2. Allow Upnp port redirect external port: 1-65535 to internal port 1024-65535

Im not impressed with the latest update's and no AIcloud so there could be another update coming soon. Ill stick with .162 Merlin's version wich is the best so far imo

Im not impressed with the latest update's and no AIcloud so there could be another update coming soon. Ill stick with .162 Merlin's version wich is the best so far imo
Me either. I'm not changing from Merlin's version until Asus supports 64k NVRAM. Even then it will depend on AiCloud being offered as well.

I am new and pardon my question. What's the real advantage of going to 64k?

Can u feel any difference? Specs wise, of course it's better but I think they left it at 32k for a reason.

Being the people who made the hw and sw, I think changing from 32 to 64K will be a piece of cake.

64 nvram - Merlin

Can anyone confirm this has 64K nvram? Merlin?

CC

Me either. I'm not changing from Merlin's version until Asus supports 64k NVRAM. Even then it will depend on AiCloud being offered as well.

I'll have AiCloud enabled the minute Asus officially releases it. In fact I do have it enabled in my own personal builds here. But for the time being AiCloud is still in beta, and should be officially launched in the very near future AFAIK.

And that's a negative on the NVRAM for the Asus 178 release - still at 32 KB.

I am new and pardon my question. What's the real advantage of going to 64k?

Can u feel any difference? Specs wise, of course it's better but I think they left it at 32k for a reason.

Being the people who made the hw and sw, I think changing from 32 to 64K will be a piece of cake.
The trouble with 32k NVRAM is that it leaves very little room for customized settings. For most users that is not a problem but for the few users who use more advanced features (i.e.: VPN, port forwarding, etc) it's a major problem. When you double the amount of NVRAM available for use it allows users to use virtually limitless configuration settings. The frustrating thing is Asus put 64k of NVRAM in the RT-N66U but then has their firmware only use half of it. Puzzling to be sure. I am a huge fan of Merlin. His RM14b firmware is a huge hit. It has allowed me to get my TEW-684UB adapter to connect at 450 MPS on the 2.4GHz band while outside on my patio. I can even connect to the 5GHz band albeit at a slower speed, usually 162 MPS. To put that in perspective, that's at least 80 feet from the router and transmitting through 3 interior walls and the exterior wall that has a fireplace and built-in BBQ center! Merlin is an angel sent to us by God himself as far as I am concerned. I am actually going to sell my smart repeater as I no longer need it. Oh and converting from 32k to 64k is no piece of cake. You will lose all of your settings, unavoidable as the NVRAM has to be completely reset in order to accomplish the transition, and even if you backup your configuration settings with the 32k firmware the 64k version will not recognize the file. So you have to manually reconfigure your router when you make the switch.

Last edited:
Merlin

Can you make this version 64 nvram?

CC

My RT-N66U and RT-AC66U custom builds are always 64K-enabled. Next release also will once it's ready for release.

Why does this custom firmware have better coverage?

Cause I'm full of win? :cool:

More seriously, the coverage should be exactly the same as Asus's original firmware. He might have been comparing it with Tomato, not all variants use the same driver version.

Display light for a disabled wirlesss radio now always on after firmware upgrade?

First I would like to say thank you RMerlin your time, effort and contributions to help improve the firmware for the Asus wireless routers. I have had my Asus RT-N66U for about a month and have successfully completed the last two official Asus firmware upgrades from the shipped firmware. I just successfully upgraded the official Asus firmware from 3.0.0.3.162 to the latest 3.0.0.3.178. The upgrade went smoothly just like it did with the last one except I noticed one possible minor bug.

I do seem to have a minor issue after applying this latest firmware. On my RT-N66U the 5Ghz radio is disabled in the router's wireless settings and the display light for the 5Ghz radio used to be always off. After applying this 3.0.0.3.178 firmware I noticed that the 5Ghz external display light is now always on even with the 5Ghz radio settings "Enable radio" setting set to "NO" under Wireless > Professional.

I experimented with the 2.4Ghz "Enable radio" settings set to "NO" and the 2.4Ghz light also appears to stay on even though the radio actually does appear to be turned off since it isn't broadcasting a signal. I can't test to see if the 5Ghz radio in the router is in fact off when "NO" is ticked under "Enable Radio" because I don't have any 5Ghz devices but I am guessing for now that it is also turned off even though the 5Ghz external display light is lit up.

I did find an easy work around to turn the wireless radio display light off. I simply unchecked all of the weekday and weekend boxes for either frequency setting and then applied the settings and the external display indicator light(s) for those wireless radio(s) are then turned off.

I didn't know if this change to the external wireless display light was intentional with this firmware upgrade or if it is just a minor bug but I thought I would post a note about it and see if anyone else is experiencing this same issue.

-Thanks

Last edited:
Cause I'm full of win? :cool:

More seriously, the coverage should be exactly the same as Asus's original firmware. He might have been comparing it with Tomato, not all variants use the same driver version.
Sorry. Yes, Merlin is correct. I was comparing his custom Asuswrt-merlin to TomatoUSB. The stock Asus version connects at the same speeds, or very close to it. When using TomatoUSB though, whether by Shibby or Toastman, I could never get to connect at the same speeds and the 5GHz band would never extend to my patio. I finally tired of playing with TomatoUSB and went back to Merlin.

Tomato Shibby and Toastman in RT-N branch using same driver as RMerlin.

WDS stopped working after .112 to .178 grade

Had WDS setup with one Rt-N66U as router and a second as a AP via WDS.
All worked fine under .112 but after .178 upgrade, it stopped working.
I can no longer find the Bridge option nor any mention of WDS on the AP unit unless it is in router mode.
Yes, I checked to see that all the settings tranferred. On the 2nd unit, they shw up correctly when t is in router mode.

Ready to give the RMerlin .168 a try.

thanks.

Tomato Shibby and Toastman in RT-N branch using same driver as RMerlin.
Interesting. That is curious given the wide performance disparity I experienced with TomatoUSB versus Asuswrt-merlin. The best connection speed I could manage with Tomato on my patio with the 2.4GHz band was ~150 MPS and the 5 GHz band would never connect. Right now I getting 324 MPS on the 2.4GHz band and 162 MPS with the 5GHz band. I can't explain it but it is what it is. I tried playing with Tomato's settings at length and finally gave up.

For a while, one of the two Tomato builds had the latest driver, the other one didn't.