What's new

ASUS TUF AX5400 2.4ghz band weak signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

carlbine

New Around Here
I just got the tuf ax5400 the 2.4ghz band is weak in terms of range i believe the 5ghz has more range, which should not be normal because higher band will always result to shorter range. I already set it to 40mhz (yeah! Channel bandwidth have nothing to do with range) but it's still weak, i already enabled features like OFDMA, MU-MIMO etc. I also diasbled roaming assist. Any settings i can change to fix this 2.4ghz band?

I'm suspecting this is a defective one.

Last edited:
I did a factory reset and unplugged my usb hdd.

Tested the 2.4ghz and the signal is fine.

Replugged the usb hdd and the signal drastically weaken again!

I tried to put usb stick knowing it has less power demand, but still the problem exist.

I switch to usb 2.0 controller now the problem has fixed.

Then i search about this issue. Usb 3.0 is interfering with 2.4ghz wifi band.

USB 3.0 interference with the 2.4GHz band is well known. If you rely on 2.4GHz, don't use a USB drive on the router (or, be content to use it at USB 2.0 speeds, if possible on that router model).

USB 3.0 interference with the 2.4GHz band is well known. If you rely on 2.4GHz, don't use a USB drive on the router (or, be content to use it at USB 2.0 speeds, if possible on that router model).
For my education. Just this model or Asus routers in general?

Seems like this model for sure with the USB and cable being used on it. The actual hardware/cable used is important here. Some routers which were causing problems were effectively 'fixed' by using a quality extension cable, for example.

Other routers (including Asus models) pay stricter attention to the USB signal path and properly attenuate its effect on the 2.4GHz band. But that isn't a reason to consider (or reject) a router, IMO. USB devices on a router are a 'checkbox' feature, not a necessity.

And for the USB drive and scripts, USB 2.0 mode (even with a USB 3.0 drive) is often fast enough.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!