What's new

Asus updates its EOL list, adds RT-AC1750, AC1900P, AC88U, AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe time to take a closer look at pfSense and OPNsense.
I did look at those and while they are very good they weren't the best solution for me for a number of reasons: 1) They run on a much, much smaller subset of devices compared to OpenWrt. 2) They're solutions geared more towards business, so If you want to use home router features like file sharing, printer server and so on you're on your own somewhat, while OpenWrt has user friendly solutions with GUI support and good dcumentation for those and many more use cases. 3) Their respective forums are nowehere near as good and lively as OpenWrt's.

All in my opinion of course.

That is not an option when using a Broadcom-based router.
Of course, but one can buy a new fully OpenWrt supported router for considerably less than a new Broadcom based Asus and they wouldn't have to buy another router for many years unless they wanted better hardware.

Hey everyone,

I have the RT-AC88U which is now EOL. I use it as firewall and to open some ports. I'm running Merlin's 386.11.

Never had an EOL router, so apologies in advance for the newbie questions:

- Other than replacing it, what are my options?
- Will @RMerlin's 386.xx receive more security updates or it's EOL for this device too?
- OpenWrt supports this model. Would that be a good replacement? For Asus' wrt?

There's no rush, the device is still fairly secure, and everything's working fine, but I'd like to have a plan.

Thanks in advance.

- OpenWrt supports this model. Would that be a good replacement? For Asus' wrt?

As someone said before, with openwrt your router changes from EOL to supported for the next decade. They are supporting routers from over 10 years ago....
You have all the features you want or need as vlan, dual-wan, every vpn (openvpn, wireguard, ipsec, ppptp, tinc, pppossh...) adblocking, dns over tls, dnscrypt, DOH, proxy server....
The community is very active with A LOT of active developers.
The problems:
  1. wifi can be less performant;
  2. configuring the router is not as easy as Asus.
I made the switch two months ago after I gave up on Asus dual wan load balance and I never regret... Now my AX68U is used as an access point ('cause its wifi performance is awesome).

I made the switch two months ago after I gave up on Asus dual wan load balance and I never regret... Now my AX68U is used as an access point ('cause its wifi performance is awesome).

After taking a look at the $ per year cost for my routers shooting up (admittedly I only bought the AC88U in 2020), OpenWRT is something I'm considering to extend the hardwares life - particularly given I have no need for anything that runs faster right now.

How long did it take you to set it up?

Swapping one Asus router for another (having the old to go back to quickly) is simple to manage around family Internet expectations - migrating to OpenWRT I'm less convinced will be!

Will @RMerlin's 386.xx receive more security updates or it's EOL for this device too?
386.12 is currently planned, it will contain a new GPL merged in. Beyond that, I haven't decided yet if I will still provide component updates, or for how long if I do.

How long did it take you to set it up?
Well, I've used openwrt a lot some years ago with a venerable but epic Netgear wndr3700 (still supported by the way).
So I'm not able to tell how long It will take you to migrate.
For a simple config (Wan+LAN) perhaps 10 minutes... But if you have vpn, adblocking and more It could take hours.
Start by reading the howto on openwrt site to get used to It

The RT-AC88U is the best OpenWrt supported recent Broadcom based Asus router. The WiFi is also supported on it, which normally isn't the case on Broadcom based routers as there mostly aren't working open souurce drivers for their chips.

Though If you have a family to feed - I mean an Internet connection :) - I wouldn't just install OpenWrt on the RT-AC88U and go from there, as it will take a bit of time to get familiar with it and configure it to your liking, as with any new system. It'd be the same if you were switching to a new computer system, the problem with routers is that any downtime affects too many people.

The best thing to do is to install OpenWrt on an old/spare router you may have and start getting familiar with it, all the main settings are self explanatory on the GUI, for the more advanced settings you can look at the online documentation or search the forum. You can search the OpenWrt table of hardware to find if your device is supported.

That's what I did, I installed OpenWrt on my EoL Asus RT-AC87U, it's currently running OpenWrt 23.05.0-rc2 with an up to date LTS Linux kernel (5.15.118), while on Asuswrt and consequently Merlin it was stuck on super ancient kernel 2.6. The WiFi isn't supported on it but all I needed was to check out OpenWrt. I then bought a new, fully OpenWrt supported AiO router, obviously not Broadcom based.

Meanwhile you can keep running Asuswrt Merlin on your router for a few months, the fact that they're EoL doesn't make them insecure, only when new, serious and relevant security vulnerabilities are published, which won't be fixed due to the router EoL status, you need to start taking action. If at that point you are comfortable with running OpenWrt you can install it on your RT-AC88U and take it from there. It's also easy to move back and forth from Asuswrt Merlin to OpenWrt on that router if needed.

I'm not in a rush to change but looking at options as a back ground activity. As it stands, the 88U Pro would be the next router but it's still pretty pricey here in the UK - especially for no real benefit. Maybe if BT pull their finger out and reasonably priced high speed is an option that will change but for now...

Just had a look and the N66U seems to have a similar level of support so that old workhorse could be a good testing ground. The main thing i use not out of the box is YazFi so that'll need some working out - sure I'm not the first there though.

Thanks for all your replies.

I'll stay on Merlin for now since I'm a bit busy and we'll receive at least one more update. When that ends, OpenWRT seems to be the best alternative.

I don't do anything fancy with my AC88U. All I need is to open a port and have some machines on fixed IPs. I use Pi-Hole and WireGuard, but that runs on a Raspberry Pi, so I don't need OpenWRT to do any of that (maybe later). Since I don't have an old router to test OpenWRT on, I'll check some guides and videos to have an idea of how the UI works.

My family always denies spending too much time online, so long downtimes should be fine... I'm sure no one will complain /s :p

Just had a look and the N66U seems to have a similar level of support so that old workhorse could be a good testing ground. The main thing i use not out of the box is YazFi so that'll need some working out - sure I'm not the first there though.
Policy based routing Is waaaaaaaay better and more granular in openwrt.

such as the RT-AC86U variants RT-AC2600

RT-AC2600 is a MediaTek MT7621A based router. RT-AC86U variants are RT-AC2900 and GT-AC2900, none on the EOL list yet.

and variants RT-AC1750 and RT-AC1750U of RT-AC66U_B1.

RT-AC1750U is the same RT-AC2600 above also sold as RT-AC65P, RT-AC85P, RT-AC2400, etc. I don't see RT-AC66U_B1 on the EOL list.

A few corrections using inconsistent Wi-Fi in Costa Rica.

Last edited:
The RT-AC88U is the best OpenWrt supported recent Broadcom based Asus router. The WiFi is also supported on it, which normally isn't the case on Broadcom based routers as there mostly aren't working open souurce drivers for their chips.

Though If you have a family to feed - I mean an Internet connection :) - I wouldn't just install OpenWrt on the RT-AC88U and go from there, as it will take a bit of time to get familiar with it and configure it to your liking, as with any new system. It'd be the same if you were switching to a new computer system, the problem with routers is that any downtime affects too many people.

The best thing to do is to install OpenWrt on an old/spare router you may have and start getting familiar with it, all the main settings are self explanatory on the GUI, for the more advanced settings you can look at the online documentation or search the forum. You can search the OpenWrt table of hardware to find if your device is supported.

That's what I did, I installed OpenWrt on my EoL Asus RT-AC87U, it's currently running OpenWrt 23.05.0-rc2 with an up to date LTS Linux kernel (5.15.118), while on Asuswrt and consequently Merlin it was stuck on super ancient kernel 2.6. The WiFi isn't supported on it but all I needed was to check out OpenWrt. I then bought a new, fully OpenWrt supported AiO router, obviously not Broadcom based.

Meanwhile you can keep running Asuswrt Merlin on your router for a few months, the fact that they're EoL doesn't make them insecure, only when new, serious and relevant security vulnerabilities are published, which won't be fixed due to the router EoL status, you need to start taking action. If at that point you are comfortable with running OpenWrt you can install it on your RT-AC88U and take it from there. It's also easy to move back and forth from Asuswrt Merlin to OpenWrt on that router if needed.
Hi ... Does OpenWRT provide something similar to Merlin's VPN Director ?

Hi ... Does OpenWRT provide something similar to Merlin's VPN Director

With PBR you can redirect a single/group of Port, IP, Interface...
You can even use mwan3 to load-balace / failover over 2 or more VPN (even with different protocol).
Openwrt can do everything Merlin does, and a lot more.

Last edited:
RT-AC2600 is a MediaTek MT7621A based router. RT-AC86U variants are RT-AC2900 and GT-AC2900, none on the EOL list yet.

RT-AC1750U is the same RT-AC2600 above also sold as RT-AC65P, RT-AC85P, RT-AC2400, etc. I don't see RT-AC66U_B1 on the EOL list.

A few corrections using inconsistent Wi-Fi in Costa Rica.
Fixed, thanks for pointing out these mistakes, enjoy your sun and sand ;)