What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48706 (2022/05/03)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, it appears to still contain the IoT fix, which makes sense given the build number.
I did update without problems. How do you know this update contains the IoT fix? Build number does not say everything.

BTW: I do update without any reset. More folks update like this or do you always start from beginning?

I did update without problems. How do you know this update contains the IoT fix? Build number does not say everything.

BTW: I do update without any reset. More folks update like this or do you always start from beginning?
It is always advisable to start from beginning with a hard factory reset if you experience issues with an update.

As a rule of thumb, I always try to hard factory reset in all instances before updating.

It is always advisable to start from beginning with a hard factory reset if you experience issues with an update.

As a rule of thumb, I always try to hard factory reset in all instances before updating.

And the further that the build that you're flashing is downstream from your current build, the more likely it is that your factory reset will help with stability. I've also gotten in the habit of doing a full factory reset (WPS) on both nodes with the ZenWiFi when I flash it. Starting from ground zero, I know that if I see any problems, most likely it's the new firmware, not that they've changed something in the new firmware build that conflicts with the old build.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it *smile*.

Updating the XT8's and start from beginning is pretty difficult if you use wireless backhaul. Since I have to disconnect every device, take the node close to my router and start from beginning this process costs me like 60 minutes.

I think in the past we got used to behave like this, but if you update your iOS or Android device, you also don't start from the beginning. And then I even don't begin about updating through OTA or via iTunes for example.

Anyone having issues updating both nodes from the firmware update page? I have my XT8s working as AP linked by the 2.5G Ethernet ports. The second node never updates; I always have to update it by hand…..

I also experienced a weird thing; I have setup auto-update at 2 in the morning. Somehow, I lost WIFI at 14h yesterday and found the master node on the new firmware. Weird conincidence……. I moved the update time to 23h30; yet another test.

tcn

Anyone having issues updating both nodes from the firmware update page? I have my XT8s working as AP linked by the 2.5G Ethernet ports. The second node never updates; I always have to update it by hand…..

I also experienced a weird thing; I have setup auto-update at 2 in the morning. Somehow, I lost WIFI at 14h yesterday and found the master node on the new firmware. Weird conincidence……. I moved the update time to 23h30; yet another test.

tcn

auto-update? I see you like living dangerously :)

Updating the XT8's and start from beginning is pretty difficult if you use wireless backhaul. Since I have to disconnect every device, take the node close to my router and start from beginning this process costs me like 60 minutes.

I think in the past we got used to behave like this, but if you update your iOS or Android device, you also don't start from the beginning. And then I even don't begin about updating through OTA or via iTunes for example.
I never have problems adding nodes via wireless backhaul even when they are located in different rooms. The only time was with Merlin. But I have heard others have had problems.

I manually updated from 9.0.0.4.386.46980 beta yesterday and did not do a reset. All is working fine without any problems. Wireless backhaul is still at 160.

I found the node will behave super unstable when the Backhaul Connection Priority and Preferred Wifi Uplink AP are set to some values other than "Auto" !!!!

Better leave these two as Auto!!!!

ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48706
1. Fixed OpenSSL CVE-2022-0778
2. Fixed CVE-2021-34174, CVE-2022-0778
3. Added more security measures to block malware.
4. Fixed Stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Milan Kyselica of IstroSec.
5. Fixed CVE-2022-23970, CVE-2022-23971, CVE-2022-23972, CVE-2022-23973, CVE-2022-25595, CVE-2022-25596, CVE-2022-25597, CVE-2022-26673, CVE-2022-26674
6. Added 3rd party DNS server list in WAN --> DNS to help users enhance the connection security.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 52a35ebbe801c1ee58dc2d83cbdccd97
Updated yesterday, took a while for blue flash on a few nodes but eventually all my 6 XT8 nodes was online after about 15-20 mins.
Stability experience after aprox 1 day.
So far no issues , jumps over 3 mesh nodes for Teams confcalls , Teams video conferences etc and some standard internet and email access.

Will check if i can update my second XT8 installation tomorrow , combo of 2xXT8 and one AC2900.

Only issue so far is what i mentioned in a different post and that is the explicit selection of uplink nodes in the mesh that fails to be applied.

/U.

Update on a location with 2 XT8s... no problems and no issues, so far... but I'm still monitoring…
If all ok I'll upgrade another place with 4 more XT8s...

I have a single XT8 and updated to this BIOS a couple days ago. I have 5-2 configured for 160 MHz and use it for my file server, which is on 24/7. Tonight I found my other devices couldn't connect to the file server, and that was because it had no wireless connection. Moreover, it couldn't even find the 5-2 network until I rebooted the router, and yes, I did reboot the server first. Realizing it had rained, I checked the router logs, and it got bumped from like channel 104 to 161 due to radar. This hasn't happened in quite a while, and I've never had to reboot the router to correct it. I don't know if this in inherent to using 160 MHz and I've just been lucky, or if this new firmware has regressed in this area. Any ideas?

I never have problems adding nodes via wireless backhaul even when they are located in different rooms. The only time was with Merlin. But I have heard others have had problems.
Oh really? Nice to hear. Asus says you have to put the node within 3 meters.

With this update, when my satellite node is on, some device cannot connect anymore. Looks like mesh is down again.

Sorry to hear that others have been seeing the same node sync issues I had. I'm back on 46061 on the node for now, and it's alright but still dropping connection on occasion as that firmware was known to do. Debating dropping back to 42095 or trying the Merlin fork.

Though to be honest I've only had these a week and I'm still well within my return window. As much as I've liked Asus routers in the past, I really don't feel like playing the firmware lottery and may just return them altogether.

so far (since wednesday) it seems stable for me. i'm hoping it'll be as stable as the 46980 beta was. this firmware roulette is starting to get annoying. well actually it's past the point of being annoying already...

This has been a terrible upgrade for me. My wireless node kept falling off the network (blinking blue), while the wired node was connected, but only retained worked for wired clients (so it was essentially a switch). Went back to 46061 (required wiring the wireless node to make it happen), and everything went back to normal.

I wonder why on only some systems this update is causing nodes' loosing connection...

settings? environment? personally I don't enable 160Mhz for the wireless backhaul, only 80MHz because I don't want to use DFS channels which seem to be unreliably available in my case.... still, early days for this firmware version

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!