What's new

Release ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48706 (2022/05/03)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My experience, as others have reported, from this FW-version is that it caused my devices to blue flashing lights once updated requiring to follow routine for firmware restoration. Last stable = beta fw 46980 which requires only daily reboots to hinder fallback to 2.4Ghz for backhaul

My experience continues to be rock solid on this firmware. Node and router locked in and steady at 5GHz with a 160MHz bandwidth. No issues.

This firmware made my node reconnect in an endless loop, and I had to use a wired connection to roll back the firmware. Terrible experience.

I have a router and a node...Update to latest version today (19th may)....after update router seems to work normally but node is conected through ethernet backhaul, white led but none of IoT devices can connect...Alexa says error authentification....no password changed. Shelly devices cannot connect to wifi....

After several test....manual upgrade, reset devices, etc... I downgraded node to 46061 version....everythings is working fine

something with 2.4 ghz is broken in last update.... i reenter password for my SSID and gives me an error ("password must have 8-63 characters...bla bla)....the password is jus copied and paste from a txt file the same as in the router...

My actual setup
router on latest version
node on 46061

anyone with blue led blinking has tested this ??

update on my post.....router drops devices randomly fron 5ghz....back to 46061 too
latest update seems not to be working well on my network

Right now I'm on the recent Beta firmware on the ZenWiFi. Working really well for me, aside from the bogus log messages that are easy to get tired of. I'd like to upgrade, though, to something more recent to get the latest fixes. Debating on whether to flash this new firmware version or GNUton's Asuswrt build. After all these postings, I'm leaning towards GNUton, but typically things just work for me, since I lean towards the simplest configurations that generally work on just about all Asus routers. As vanilla as I can manage *smile*. Not getting a definitive Occam-ish feeling here.

Decisions decisions *smile*. I guess that I can always revert if things don't work out, but I'm not fond of busy work.

Mine have now been a week on a combination of 48706 and 46061 (node) because both on 48706 blocked the wireless access from clients to the node. This setup is quite stable I must say. The only thing I can’t get working is to make my smart speaker castable, it disappears in Spotify after about an hour although it is still connected to the main router and able to play music by voice command. A google nest mini which is connected to the node is working just fine. I tried turning off beamforming and other tips I found on the internet, to no luck. I think I’ll just accept this bug until another bug or two may appear.

Right now I'm on the recent Beta firmware on the ZenWiFi. Working really well for me, aside from the bogus log messages that are easy to get tired of. I'd like to upgrade, though, to something more recent to get the latest fixes. Debating on whether to flash this new firmware version or GNUton's Asuswrt build. After all these postings, I'm leaning towards GNUton, but typically things just work for me, since I lean towards the simplest configurations that generally work on just about all Asus routers. As vanilla as I can manage *smile*. Not getting a definitive Occam-ish feeling here.

Decisions decisions *smile*. I guess that I can always revert if things don't work out, but I'm not fond of busy work.
Almost in the same boat for my pair of XT8. I would like to give a chance to Gnuton FW with all the benefit I think I can ave with codel QoS and nice features coming from Merlin. Temptation is high.

one simple feature i have been struggling with is mac filter....i have been using mac filter list on all my routers 10 years...since i bought this xt8 mesh from asus i have to disable mac list filtering, but i am not sure if the problem is with this feature because some firmware updates like 48706 have drops on 5ghz devices ......this drops seems to happen most oftenly when i have enable mac list filtering, so i have to disable this feature in my process of test and failure...

i would like a more robust firmware...hope next update fix some of this simple bugs...

Almost in the same boat for my pair of XT8. I would like to give a chance to Gnuton FW with all the benefit I think I can ave with codel QoS and nice features coming from Merlin. Temptation is high.
The github issue tracker shows that there are some bugs to be ironed out. I'd love to help test but I'm no longer a student with free time, so I'm sticking to the last stable asuswrt.

I too have had nothing but issues with this firmware, and worse still I had just moved so my initial assumption was that it was everything _except_ a silent firmware upgrade on the router which wasted the best part of two days of trial and error.

Like others I was seeing issues with wireless backhaul continually disconnecting (flashing blue). When I finally got around to setting up a cable for wired backhaul (my preferred config), everything seemed fine until I realised that no devices were able to maintain wireless connections to the node(s). My laptop was the clearest example of this, it would connect just fine immediately after I rebooted the node, but after a few minutes it would lose connection (deauth) and then subsequent attempts to connect were rejected, my laptop's logs suggest authentication was failing even though it was initially able to connect fine.

Even while wireless was failing on the node(s), I could establish a reliable connection to the router just fine, which suggests the issues are with wireless on a node only.

Its' odd that some people are having the types of issues you are describing, and others are not. I'm set up with wired backhaul, freed up with 6 band for some clients, and have over 30 clients connected across both node and main, with no issues. The only consistent issue I have is that some IoT devices (such as nest and Govee), have issues staying connected for more than a week unless I put them on a guest network. I have no idea why that works, but it does. There must be some factor that is causing some set ups to be quite solid, and others to be very unreliable. I assume everyone with issues is reporting them to ASUS from within the software.

The github issue tracker shows that there are some bugs to be ironed out. I'd love to help test but I'm no longer a student with free time, so I'm sticking to the last stable asuswrt.
Indeed, I saw some report about backhaul speed not displayed and other few things. Anything major out of my sight? I'm keen to wait the next release of Gnuton, I've few free time want to keep the house's Internet "working". On the other side I'll have to step in to help him with bug report/resolution too :).

Indeed, I saw some report about backhaul speed not displayed and other few things. Anything major out of my sight? I'm keen to wait the next release of Gnuton, I've few free time want to keep the house's Internet "working". On the other side I'll have to step in to help him with bug report/resolution too :).
Speed would be a big one for me as my household uses quite a bit of bandwidth

Speed would be a big one for me as my household uses quite a bit of bandwidth
Thanks for pointing me to this bug, I was not aware of it. Let's monitor this topic then :)
Maybe an isolated case, no full reset mentioned in the detail

I am going back as well to the beta that was most stable for me 57317. Got the random blinking blue light and the wireless backhaul keeps going to weak connection and then disconnect from the main.

This firmware version's working fine for me. No problems, stable and performing well. Glad that I finally moved forward and now have the latest security fixes.

Mesh node is dropping 5GHz wireless backhaul uplink occasionally resulting in the random blinking blue light

Wondered if ASUS even have a proper QA or QC team for their firmware

After upgrade to 48706 I experienced the same problems as other have reported. Mesh with 2 nodes (ethernet backhaul, WPA2/WPA3) looked OK, but clients could only connect to the main and not to the nodes. Looking at my number of wireless clients, rather than downgrading to 46061, I decided to change the WPA2/WPA3 password on the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks, followed by a reconfiguration of the clients. That worked for me. I don't know the relevancy and security effects but the old WPA2/WPA3 passwords had a length of 32, for the new ones I changed to a length of 29.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!