What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-3 public beta for IPv6 DDNS and IPv6 VPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm running the RC3-3 on my ET8 pair. Today I find that my wired xbox one no longer receives an IP from DHCP. I've rebooted the xbox and router and still the same. Why would this break out of the blue after days of stability?
No issues with RC3-3 on my ET8 pair with my Xbox One so far. Will keep you all posted.

Please keep us posted on the Nest issue with the ZenWiFi XT8. I too have noticed the latest release firmware version of 3.0.0.4.386.45934 was dropping my Nest Smart Thermostat 3rd Gen every-so-often (every few days). So, as a test I bound the Nest Smart Thermostat to my main RT-AX89X router which is a little bit further away on the first floor (thermostat on the 2nd floor). Solar, no disconnect on the Nest (knock on wood / head). A few days ago, I too updated ONE XT8 nodes (out of the 2) to this 9.0.0.4_386_57317 RC3 public beta, keeping the other XT8 node with the 3.0.0.4.386.45934 release firmware and have yet to unbound the Nest thermostat to my main router to test since it's working now but will want to test out that theory at some point in time. Currently, I'm using the Asus RT-AX89X as my main router and both XT8 as AiMesh nodes (one in living room and the other in bedroom).
I think you might be on to something for IoT devices. They seem to have more issues with mesh networks. My GOVEE sensors lost network connnectivity the other day, and ony came back when I rebooted the router they were supposed to be connected to. I then bound them to that XT8 router, closest to their base station. I'm thinking that if they are close enough to both nodes that a random switch occurs, they don't recover well. Just a hypothesis for now. I've kept the nest attached to the guest network for a few weeks now, and it has been stable. I'm going to try connecting it to the main mesh network and binding it to a node and see if that stays stable as well.

Hi All,
New 386 rc3-3 firmware added more IPv6 support.
You can now use IPv6 to register DDNS and use it for OpenVPN, WireGuard server.
firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zbP67c9LM-je_w3PEc36ybc_VFddJPPe?usp=sharing

support model list
GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX68U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
ZenWiFi XD4

RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U are not in this run, there are still some issues that need to be solved.
Is there a particular reason that RT-AX89X isn't supported yet?

Is there a particular reason that RT-AX89X isn't supported yet?
Different SOC. Broadcom ones are quick to get beta firmwares.

I was contacted by Asus engineer and he remote logged in my PC and obtained all IPv6 related diagnostic and hopefully we have an update regarding this IPv6 WAN problem.

Problem for those who don't know: Asus Routers still don't obtain their own WAN IPv6 address. That is needed for IPV6 DDNS I believe.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted on the Nest issue with the ZenWiFi XT8. I too have noticed the latest release firmware version of 3.0.0.4.386.45934 was dropping my Nest Smart Thermostat 3rd Gen every-so-often (every few days). So, as a test I bound the Nest Smart Thermostat to my main RT-AX89X router which is a little bit further away on the first floor (thermostat on the 2nd floor). Solar, no disconnect on the Nest (knock on wood / head). A few days ago, I too updated ONE XT8 nodes (out of the 2) to this 9.0.0.4_386_57317 RC3 public beta, keeping the other XT8 node with the 3.0.0.4.386.45934 release firmware and have yet to unbound the Nest thermostat to my main router to test since it's working now but will want to test out that theory at some point in time. Currently, I'm using the Asus RT-AX89X as my main router and both XT8 as AiMesh nodes (one in living room and the other in bedroom).
So far, nest has stayed connected for over 24 hours on the main (not guest) network, although I do have it bonded to the closest router/node, which is the main one. I'm good with this solution if it sticks.

It's almost 1 month and I am wondering when next beta will drop because current beta did absolutely nothing with IPv6 for me. I have sent logs as per @ASUSWRT_2020 and I hope it has helped them to figure out why no IPv6 is getting assigned to my RT-AX88U.
What symptoms are you seeing of this. I'm on the Xt8, but I seem to getting an IPv6 address correctly.

Question:
Is that true for only asus routers using wireguard or true for wireguard as an entire protocol?
I don't know. I can only report that Asus disables flow cache when wireguard is enabled.

My router is getting its own IPv6.
try ping to ipv6.google.com and see if respond, mine no because WAN IPv6 Address begins with fc00:1090 instead of 2806:109f

Screenshot_20211228-201924_Chrome.jpg

All devices on network get their own IPv6 while Asus router itself doesn't get it's own WAN IPv6. Hopefully Asus engineers are close to fixing this problem.

hqxT8oB.png

Hi All,
New 386 rc3-3 firmware added more IPv6 support.
You can now use IPv6 to register DDNS and use it for OpenVPN, WireGuard server.
firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zbP67c9LM-je_w3PEc36ybc_VFddJPPe?usp=sharing

support model list
GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX68U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
ZenWiFi XD4

RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U are not in this run, there are still some issues that need to be solved.
Hi! I have a question. Can I install NextNDS on asus stock firmware and how please?

Hi! I have a question. Can I install NextNDS on asus stock firmware and how please?

Yes and no.

You don’t *need* to use Asuswrt_merlin firmware but you need to «trick» your Asus router to install Entware and using partitions on an external drive by booting with an especially prepared USB drive in it. You have to be familiar enough with ssh and the commandline to then install the correct package from here (probably “nextdns_nohf”): https://repology.org/project/nextdns/versions

It’s more complicated and «advanced» than flashing it with Asuswrt_merlin, and it wouldn’t be “stock firmware” anymore, so that’s why I answered both yes and no.

If you hold out to for the next firmware update of asuswrt we should get DNS Filter back in stock and you can do much of the same as the nextdns cli there.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

You don’t *need* to use Asuswrt_merlin firmware but you need to «trick» your Asus router to install Entware and using partitions on an external drive by booting with an especially prepared USB drive in it. You have to be familiar enough with ssh and the commandline to then install the correct package from here (probably “nextdns_nohf”): https://repology.org/project/nextdns/versions

It’s more complicated and «advanced» than flashing it with Asuswrt_merlin, and it wouldn’t be “stock firmware” anymore, so that’s why I answered both yes and no.

If you hold out to for the next firmware update of asuswrt we should get DNS Filter back in stock and you can do much of the same as the nextdns cli there.
Thank for your answers!

Yes and no.

This is very interesting...

Can you provide some more insight (articles, links or guides) to learn how to install Entware and special USB boot drives on stock firmware?

Reason: I am keen on trying out the beta 'stock' firmware with WireGuard support, but I also need some elements of Entware for my scripting, etc...

So far, nest has stayed connected for over 24 hours on the main (not guest) network, although I do have it bonded to the closest router/node, which is the main one. I'm good with this solution if it sticks.
Ah well. Just lost connectivty again for the 2.4 network. resetting nest did not help. resetting router did not help. moved it back to guest network, reset nest, and its back online. I have no idea why the guest network works while the main network does not. I wonder if it could have something to do with the asus third party security?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!