What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-3 public beta for IPv6 DDNS and IPv6 VPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASUSWRT_2020

Regular Contributor
Hi All,
New 386 rc3-3 firmware added more IPv6 support.
You can now use IPv6 to register DDNS and use it for OpenVPN, WireGuard server.
firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zbP67c9LM-je_w3PEc36ybc_VFddJPPe?usp=sharing

support model list
GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX68U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
ZenWiFi XD4

RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U are not in this run, there are still some issues that need to be solved.

Last edited:
Tried the AX88. With both RC3-2 and RC3-3 my download speed goes from 940mbps to 530mbps. Revert back to latest GA then it goes back up again. Tried resetting config without any change. Only difference i see is wireguard is enabled on RC3 builds otherwise its the same config between versions.

On RC3-3 DoT no longer works. Just gives errors. Is fine on GA.

@ASUSWRT_2020

Thanks ... small point, RT-AX88U in not in the supported model list in your 1st post.

Edit: Thanks for fixing it, including RT-AX88U in the list:)

Last edited:
when using load balance the vpn still on connecting state, I need to disconnect and connect manual to work, but when I need to do this action every time, or disable load balance );

Hello

I have currently problem with VPN Client with Wireguard, VPN Provider OVPN.

My setup
- MainRouter (Unifi) with 192.168.9.x
- VPN Router (Asus AX88U) with 192.168.50.x

The VPN Router is connected from the WAN-Port to a LAN-Port on my MainRouter. I set the OVPN data (german server) in the Multiple section on the AX88U. Then i add my iPhone to this connect an turn the connection on. I check my ip on the iPhone, it's a new ip from the german location. i check my email on the iPhone Mail-app, it works. I check some websites, it works and then i check my banking website (https://direct.credit-suisse.com) no response, not works. I switch my OVPN connection off on the AX88U and go on the iPhone to the OVPN-App and connect to the same server like on the AX88U and make also my checks and everythings works, include the banking website. When the OVPN-connection is off and my iPhone is connected to the router then everythings works, so i think something is wrong with the Wireguard client connection.

Is it possible to check a log for this client connection, purhaps i see more whats wrong.

Have someone a working Wireguard client connection, can you try my banking website and please let me know it's works or not. If it's works, with witch VPN provider?

Thank you very much
regards

This firmware RT-AX88U the ddns dynamic is not working

Nov 22 20:03:12 start_ddns: eth0 has not yet obtained an ipv6 address

and i have ipv6 ative and working but thhe ddns dynamic not update the ipv6 and ipv4

Last edited:
I'd be willing to test on GT-AXE11000 if a build was provided, but I understand you may want to prioritize more common models on the market, so happy to wait. Thanks!

The DDNS service now doesn't play nice with dnsomatic.com
It still works but it throws an error because the hostname can't be reached.

The issue stems from the dnsomatic API wanting just the prefix of a subdomain in the "hostname" field - so in my case my "Hostname" is simply "dynamic" instead of "dynamic.myhostname.com"
This is kind of a pre-existing issue, previously it wouldn't throw an error but would still break stuff like remote management (because ASUSWRT thinks my public DN is just "dynamic")... but now it's a bit more obvious since it tries to resolve the hostname and throws an error at the DDNS screen, despite the DDNS service registering properly.

Here are some log lines to illustrate
Nov 23 14:58:53 inadyn[3905]: In-a-dyn version 2.8.1 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Nov 23 14:58:53 inadyn[3905]: Failed resolving hostname dynamic: Name or service not known
Nov 23 14:58:54 inadyn[3905]: Update forced for alias dynamic, new IP# <my IP>
Nov 23 14:58:55 inadyn[3905]: Updating cache for dynamic
Nov 23 14:58:55 ddns: ddns update ok

Oh and before someone says to just use all.dnsomatic.com or leave it blank... this removes the whole point of using dnsomatic, I have multiple sites going through subdomains on the one domain and these aliases let me update them dynamically and discretely.

On my RT-AX88U, I am unable to use DDNS for IPv6. My ISP does provide publicly routable static IPv6 /64

Error log
Nov 23 13:45:20 rc_service: httpd 1148:notify_rc restart_ddns_le
Nov 23 13:45:20 start_ddns: ppp0 has not yet obtained an ipv6 address
Nov 23 13:45:26 watchdog: start ddns.
Nov 23 13:45:26 rc_service: watchdog 1154:notify_rc start_ddns
Nov 23 13:45:26 start_ddns: ppp0 has not yet obtained an ipv6 address
Nov 23 13:45:56 watchdog: start ddns.
Nov 23 13:45:56 rc_service: watchdog 1154:notify_rc start_ddns
Nov 23 13:45:56 start_ddns: ppp0 has not yet obtained an ipv6 address

I tried with Noip and Asus DDNS services.

Last edited:
Hi All,
New 386 rc3-3 firmware added more IPv6 support.
You can now use IPv6 to register DDNS and use it for OpenVPN, WireGuard server.
firmware link
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zbP67c9LM-je_w3PEc36ybc_VFddJPPe?usp=sharing

support model list
GT-AX11000
RT-AX92U
RT-AX88U
RT-AX82U
RT-AX68U
RT-AX56U
RT-AX55
TUF-AX5400
TUF-AX3000
ZenWiFi ET8
ZenWiFi XT8
ZenWiFi XD6
ZenWiFi XD4

RT-AX86U and RT-AX58U are not in this run, there are still some issues that need to be solved.
AC88u? :( :(

Patience. :) :D

Hi, @ASUSWRT_2020 just like to report that DNS-over-TLS is not working for me in RC3-3, whether I am running only IPv4 or with IPv6 (Native) enabled. DoT was working in the previous RC3-2. Workaround: I disabled DoT all else seam to be working. Thanks.

Hi, @ASUSWRT_2020 just like to report that the "Ethernet Port Status Information" is missing in RC3-3 both:
  • Network Map -> System Status -> Status tab
  • AiMesh -> (AiMesh Router) -> Network tab -> Port Information
PS: was in RC3-2
Screenshot 2021-11-08 at 15.25.36.png

The following are my iOS Speedtest App results on my iPhoneXsMax from my daughter’s place with RT-AC68U (500mbps Fibre Subscription) to my various VPN Servers setup at my home on my RT-AX88U (1gbps Fibre Subscription). I just did one test each.
  • VPN 1 OpenVPN
    • Dn:108 mbps Up:109 mbps
  • VPN 2 Instant Guard (IPsec IKEv1 under the hood)
    • Dn:141 mbps Up:153 mbps
  • VPN 1 IPSec IKEv2
    • Dn:367 mbps Up:218 mbps
  • VPN 1 IPSec IKEv1
    • Dn:147 mbps Up:156 mbps
  • VPN 1 WireGuard (I recall in RC3-2, this is the fastest)
    • Dn:286 mbps Up:175 mbps

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!