What's new

Beta ASUSWRT 386 RC3-3 public beta for IPv6 DDNS and IPv6 VPN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

All devices on network get their own IPv6 while Asus router itself doesn't get it's own WAN IPv6. Hopefully Asus engineers are close to fixing this problem.

hqxT8oB.png

how it become your version 386_58100?
Can you provide us with the download link please, thanks.

how it become your version 386_58100?
Can you provide us with the download link please, thanks.
It was a temporary link which Asus service engineer had provided. Still router was not getting it's own IPv6 so reverted to latest stable firmware. I don't have any backup firmware file tbh.

It was a temporary link which Asus service engineer had provided. Still router was not getting it's own IPv6 so reverted to latest stable firmware. I don't have any backup firmware file tbh.
There's a recent new stable for ET8 and some others.. is that the one you moved to? How has yours been? Maybe I need to reset and re-configure but I feel this non-beta is still worse than RC3-3, which would lock up but only after several days. With the new non-beta I'm back to some (but not as many) devices dropping off wifi randomly as things get congested.

It seems like RC3-3 Beta program is dead.
I would have to agree, after over two months of no updates and no responses to requests. I’m running RC3-3 on my GT-AX11000 router with Zenwifi XT8 nodes without any problems, but it would be nice to see some mention of an official stable version sometime soon, if we’re at a release candidate stage…

I would have to agree, after over two months of no updates and no responses to requests. I’m running RC3-3 on my GT-AX11000 router with Zenwifi XT8 nodes without any problems, but it would be nice to see some mention of an official stable version sometime soon, if we’re at a release candidate stage…
There IS a new stable version. However, I'm not quite sure it incorporates everything this firmware did. Would love some confirmation from someone who knows how to verify against git/bitbucket/whatever.

There IS a new stable version. However, I'm not quite sure it incorporates everything this firmware did. Would love some confirmation from someone who knows how to verify against git/bitbucket/whatever.
At least for the xt8, only bugs/security issues were fixed

I think you may be a bit lost—this is a thread about the 386 RC3-3 beta, which is what I have installed. I’m enquiring about when this beta will be advanced to a stable release. The existing stable releases for my GT-AX11000 and ZenWifi XT8s are not of the same version number and would be a regression from the features I’m testing in this newer firmware cycle.

Asus is really having tough time in getting their firmware to work with different ISP's IPv6 configuration. After long chats with Asus firmware engineer and my ISP's core network team, I came to a conclusion that Asus firmware for IPv6 not getting assigned to WAN of their routers when in PPPOe mode and IPv6 set to Native PPP Stateless.

Mail excerpt from Asus Firmware team:

And if you select "Native", it seems that because your ISP does not provide "Non-temporary Address", the Router cannot obtain the WAN IPv6 Address, but only LAN IPv6 Address.
Although the LAN IPv6 Address can also connect the Router or the LAN Client to the IPv6 network normally, the DDNS function must be operated through the WAN IPv6 Address, so you cannot use this function.
You may need to discuss with your ISP company why there is no "Non-temporary Address" in their DHCPv6 packets.

My ISP has said that "Non-temporary Address" is not required and showed me their own supplied Nokia router works flawlessly and gets it's own WAN IPv6. Even a D-Link Covr 1100 router gets it's own WAN IPv6.

Basically it's my ISP (Tata Play Fiber) vs Asus and I don't know who is telling the truth.

This IPv6 problem stems from the fact that all ISPs are slowly moving towards (IPv4 CG-NAT + IPv6 Static) combo.
Right now, I have a QNAP NAS with Tailscale VPN installed with a static route set to Asus router's LAN IP. With absence of WAN IPv6, I am unable to use DDNS, Let's Encrypt. I have to resort to hacky ways just to be able to access Asus router from outside if I have to wake up any PC on network to work.

Last edited:
Asus is really having tough time in getting their firmware to work with different ISP's IPv6 configuration. After long chats with Asus firmware engineer and my ISP's core network team, I came to a conclusion that Asus firmware for IPv6 not getting assigned to WAN of their routers when in PPPOe mode and IPv6 set to Native PPP Stateless.

Mail excerpt from Asus Firmware team:

My ISP has said that "Non-temporary Address" is not required and showed me their own supplied Nokia router works flawlessly and gets it's own WAN IPv6. Even a D-Link Covr 1100 router gets it's own WAN IPv6.

Basically it's my ISP (Tata Play Fiber) vs Asus and I don't know who is telling the truth.

This IPv6 problem stems from the fact that all ISPs are slowly moving towards (IPv4 CG-NAT + IPv6 Static) combo.
Right now, I have a QNAP NAS with Tailscale VPN installed with a static route set to Asus router's LAN IP. With absence of WAN IPv6, I am unable to use DDNS, Let's Encrypt. I have to resort to hacky ways just to be able to access Asus router from outside if I have to wake up any PC on network to work.
Interesting. I am running this thread’s beta (build 3), and when selecting “Native” for my IPv6 protocol I’m obtaining a working WAN-side address with Spectrum Dallas as my ISP. When I previously had AT&T, I had to select “Passthrough” for my router to obtain a valid WAN-side IPv6 address.

I’ve tested my IPv6 stability and readiness with both the test-ipv6 and ipv6-test websites, and I’m consistently getting perfect scores on both from Spectrum, with the router’s IPv6 firewall active.

That ^^ statement may not always apply as it depends on all of these variables: Ge-Location / ISP / Model of Asus Router / Firmware in use. FWIW My Asus setup is in my forum sig, I'm in Vietnam with a Vietnamese ISP, which like all ISPs, has it's own quirks ;) My 300 Mbps Up/Down FTTH WAN is PPPOe but, it has a static IPv4 address and a static IPv6 address (but that's static within an IPv6 /64 range, which is different than a static / non-changing IPv4 address). The IPv6 connection is exactly as you've described above: Native / PPP / Stateless, which in turn produces a fixed LAN IPv6 /56 range. Everything works perfectly (IPv4 and IPv6 WAN & LAN) and all of those IPv6 tests are passed effortlessly. My own example alone, does mean that the conclusion you've made ^^ IS subject to all of those variables though. The current IPv6 DDNS issues that are covered in detail elsewhere in this forum / on other threads & that still occur in the latest official stable release from Asus for my router, will hopefully / presumably be fixed in the official RC-3 stable release from Asus and/or the official Merlin stable release for my router. Until then my IPV6 DDNS workaround is what I posted here - previously, in another thread. AFAIK there's no RC3-3 Beta for the Asus router that I am using anyway - and/or I've missed it so far :D but I'll be waiting for stable releases anyway.

Edit: Enthusiasm got the better of me, so I changed the firmware to Merlin's 386.5 Alpha 2 advance release. Works perfectly for me so far!

Last edited:
I'm also wondering about newer betas. There is 1 youtube video out there reviewing the RT-AX53u which in it's beta firmware added AiMesh support despite this device initially launching without AiMesh.

I have contacted asus support and am waiting for their response

EDIT: local asus support said there is no such thing, lovely.

Last edited:
I'm also wondering about newer betas. There is 1 youtube video out there reviewing the RT-AX53u which in it's beta firmware added AiMesh support despite this device initially launching without AiMesh.

I have contacted asus support and am waiting for their response

EDIT: local asus support said there is no such thing, lovely.
I’m kinda wondering if this beta cycle is dead at this point. It’s been almost three months since the last release, and requests for updates have gone unanswered. ASUS has done this before.

As in they will move at some point to public release or this particle release is not going to be released and they have moved on?

I’m kinda wondering if this beta cycle is dead at this point. It’s been almost three months since the last release, and requests for updates have gone unanswered. ASUS has done this before.
There are clearly new ones but Asus isn't sharing it with us on this forum

The Google drive linked in this thread has version 57317

The RT-AX53U review I watched mentioning beta firmware had AiMesh has version 66799

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!