What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.264.22 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Howdy folks,

I just published build 264.22 to Mediafire. A few big changes with this release:

Per device traffic monitoring
A long-time request from users. This is based on the IPTraffic implemented by Toastman in his Tomato variant (and also integrated by Shibby in his own Tomato variant). This will let you monitor, as well as keep historical traffic data on the bandwidth usage from your connected clients.

You first need to enable it, on the Tools -> Other Settings page. Set "Enable advanced (per IP) monitoring" to Yes, and also make sure to check the "Create or reset advanced data files" option underneath to create a new database. This database will be stored in the same location as the regular traffic data (configured under "Save history location", available above on that same page). You can also decide to monitor all IPs by default, or only a specific set of IPs - again, configurable on that same page.

Once enabled, you can access the new monitoring pages in the same location as the regular traffic monitoring pages. If you go to Traffic Manager, under Traffic Monitor, the dropdown menu will now display additional pages for you to select.

A lot of the credit for this one goes to Teaman, who wrote the cstats daemon and did the basic Tomato implementation.

Rebased on 3.0.0.4.264.
This was a firmware release from Asus for the RT-N13. There was little changes in it compared to 260. Most notable changes were related to Repeater Mode, and they also integrated the same Samba/vsftpd performance optimizations that were added to Asuswrt-Merlin a few weeks ago. And while on the topic of repeater mode...

Separate "Experimental" builds
Now that I no longer need to publish my releases to two separate location (where there was no easy way to sort out different releases), the move to Mediafire also made it easier for me to publish separate builds, as well as sort out downloads in subfolders. In the Experimental folder you will find special builds that contain more experimental features. Those will vary between routers, but currently there are two features available (on select models):

- DualWAN (filename will contain "dw"
- Repeater mode (filename will contain "rp"

DualWAN is now disabled in regular builds, and moved to these separate experimental builds.

Repeater Mode is the same as found in other Asus routers. It is an alternative to WDS mode. While not as technically sound as WDS, it should be far more compatible with other brands of routers, as well as allow the use of WPA/WPA2. The fact WDS is limited to WEP pretty much makes it useless IMHO.

This mode has received very limited testing. Feel free to start a new thread on the forums here discussing that option.

This mode is not available with the RT-AC66U, because it will require additional work to integrate (due to the presence of the Media Bridge mode). I will possibly have a look at it in the future.

The move to a new download site
As you probably know by now, downloads have now been centralized on Mediafire. I registered for a professional account, so there won't be any ads, roadblocks or captchas. This is due to Github no longer allowing the hosting of download files, and also the increased worry that my website host might eventually get notice of the constant rise in bandwidth usage caused by downloads. Their fineprints aren't 100% clear on how open they are to that kind of use, so I decided to play safe and host all downloads elsewhere.

Support for Russia's Beeline Corbina ISP has been fixed
That one wasn't easy to track down (since I can hardly test an actual connection with them). But it's finally fixed - the issue was introduced when another bug related to DNS and OpenVPN was fixed a few revisions ago.

There is of course the usual list of bugfixes and tweaks. Make sure to check the Changelog for more details.

As usual, thank you everyone for your support and interest in this project!

Last edited:
In build 260.21 I had ~37000 bytes of nvram occupied, around 1000 bytes bigger than previous versions. In this latest 264.22 build nvram come back to 'normal' usage of ~36000 bytes. What could cause this change from 260.21 to 264.22?

- lfbb

In build 260.21 I had ~37000 bytes of nvram occupied, around 1000 bytes bigger than previous versions. In this latest 264.22 build nvram come back to 'normal' usage of ~36000 bytes. What could cause this change from 260.21 to 264.22?

- lfbb

Either Dual WAN stuff, or you had some OpenVPN/SSH keys stored there. Can't tell for sure.

Can you explain a little more about the new SIP helper setting and what does it mean to "Force as Master Browser"?

Also is there any disadvantage if my internet is ipv4 and I enable IPv6(native with DHCP-PD)?

Thank you

RT-N66U screen display bug in USB application > Media Centre

Just discovered that by clicking on the "Media server directory" to select a folder on the external HD and clicked Apply, the top half and left panel of the screen just disappeared.

Tried restarting the browser (IE or FF) and also power cycle the router, it just won't work. The only way to get it back is to restore the router settings from saved file.

Currently using 264.22. Not sure if other versions are also experiencing this problem.

mediaserver_zps9cfda231.png

No problems for me, everything seems to be working great. My tomato per-ip logs picked up where they had left off as well.

Nice work.

Asus changed the way the WAN DHCP was handled starting with build 220, so this is most likely something specific to that. I have no way of testing/debugging this since my cable service works fine, so you will have to contact Asus about this.
This DHCP changes in build 220 are still present in build 264.22?

- lfbb

I have this issue with missing top half on other choices but just using the web browser back tab and then choose the choice again then I get the full web page.

Just discovered that by clicking on the "Media server directory" to select a folder on the external HD and clicked Apply, the top half and left panel of the screen just disappeared.

Tried restarting the browser (IE or FF) and also power cycle the router, it just won't work. The only way to get it back is to restore the router settings from saved file.

Currently using 264.22. Not sure if other versions are also experiencing this problem.

Have not observed this issue at all.

May want to clear your browser cache as just closing browser will not clear the cache unless specified in options.

Up and running. Took twice to get it to load. First try just quit.

Firefox and entering dhcp assigned name works now.

Just playing. Thanks again Merlin.

This update is great, as it really solved the Beeline Russian ISP issue. Thanks for tracking this issue down!
Everything else is also great in this release. Thanks!

Can you explain a little more about the new SIP helper setting and what does it mean to "Force as Master Browser"?

Also is there any disadvantage if my internet is ipv4 and I enable IPv6(native with DHCP-PD)?

Thank you

Asuswrt by default will load a Netfilter module designed to help in manageing SIP connections through the NAT firewall. This will however prevent people running their own SIP server (like Asterisk) from being able to forward port 5060 to their Asterisk server.

Disabling that helper module will allow then to correctly forward port 5060 (a reboot might be required to fully purge the module from memory).

If your ISP does not support IPv6, then you cannot enable that option. Very few ISPs support that at this time.

Using a quote in a folder name is a bad idea :) It breaks the Javascript interface. Rename that folder.

This DHCP changes in build 220 are still present in build 264.22?

- lfbb

Yes, nothing was changed there, and it never will. They use a different DHCP daemon now, which is much more flexible amongst other things.

Love the new added per-ip log / stat feature :cool: Danke Teaman and Merlin!

total garbage. I update to 3.0.0.4.264.22 ,the wifi speed is down from 6mbps to 2mbps. Go back to asus RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_246.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!