What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.24 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the reply merlin. Yeah both UPNP and Nat are enabled. As for the modem its a stand alone modem its a VMNG300 from Virgin media in the UK, i know you may not be familier with this modem. I think may just be a Halo 4 thing i ran the xbox live network test and it didn't prompt me saying that there was this issue. Weird

Anyway thanks for your hard work with the firmware, loving the lights off feature that you put in, its good to have those off when trying to sleep.

As some of you folks are aware I have been trying to get add block to work and it has failed badly... I'm at the point I believe it has something to do Persistent JFFS2. If I turn it on, I lose my connection to the outside world....let me back up...

I turn it on and have it format at next boot. I reboot, it comes up and I make sure the format is off at this point but then Persistent JFFS2 is on. At this point no connection to the outside world (I have a WAN IP) I click apply I get my connection back. I now access the Persistent JFFS2 partition add my scripts. Once I do this I reboot, and then have no connection to the outside world again.... So I reboot again, just to find my scripts are gone, and I have no access to the outside world again. So I turn off Persistent JFFS2, reboot and I have access to the outside world.

Any ideas?

As some of you folks are aware I have been trying to get add block to work and it has failed badly... I'm at the point I believe it has something to do Persistent JFFS2. If I turn it on, I lose my connection to the outside world....let me back up...

I turn it on and have it format at next boot. I reboot, it comes up and I make sure the format is off at this point but then Persistent JFFS2 is one. At this point no connection to the outside world (I have a WAN IP) I click apply I get my connection back. I now access the Persistent JFFS2 partition add my scripts. Once I do this I reboot, and then have no connection to the outside world again.... So I reboot again, just to find my scripts are gone, and I have no access to the outside world again. So I turn off Persistent JFFS2, reboot and I have access to the outside world.

Any ideas?

Possibly a timing issue. After you reboot the router with the JFFS mounted and formatted (check the Sysinfo page for confirmation), unplug the power of your modem for 5-10 minutes, then plug it back on. Give it up to 5 mins to resync with your ISP.

Possibly a timing issue. After you reboot the router with the JFFS mounted and formatted (check the Sysinfo page for confirmation), unplug the power of your modem for 5-10 minutes, then plug it back on. Give it up to 5 mins to resync with your ISP.

I did check the sys info page and it shows it mounted...As for "unplug the power of your modem" I have fiber...no modem to do that too...

The steps I took...
Clicked Enable JFFS partition and Format JFFS partition at next boot, hit apply.
Once I'm back at the webif I hit reboot

Router reboots and back at Webif no access to outside world

So I reboot, and its no longer mounted and I lose outside world again. So I have to check Enable JFFS partition and hit apply
and reboot. (Jffs is mounted) From there I have to go back in the webif turn off Jffs hit apply, reboot.
Go back into the webif enable JFFS, turn it off, and I get my connection back.

I wrote this as I was doing it...

Last edited:
Merlin's Firmware Installation

After an extended period in public betatest, 3.0.0.4.270.24 final has been released for all three usual router models.

There's one notable new feature in this build:

• Ethernet ports state report
    The Sysinfo page will now display the state of all Ethernet ports on your router. While at it, a few improvements were also made to the Sysinfo page, such as the temperature now updating automatically every few seconds, and the state of hardware acceleration (aka CTF) being reported.

I used RMerlin's "Installation" from his Wiki to upgrade from Asus 3.0.0.4.270 to Merlin's 3.0.0.4.270.24. It works for me! The wiki's Installation paragraph could be a "stickey" here for the faint-hearted like me. I applaud Merlin for his work. It is outstanding!

Hello Merlin, when using my macbook pro retina, I have noticed a strage wireless problem, sometime the wifi seems to stop acessing the internet, but I can acess the router webpage on ac66u, but wireless only come back to normal funcionality after a reboot, the first time ocured at 3 days of power on, the second time it was 1 day and a few hours.

Has anyone had noticed or have the same ocurrence?

Thanks, sorry the bad english.

Yea, I'm Having the same issue I keep losing dns

When this happens next, could you both look at the System Log and whether you see multiple entries like this:
Code:
Feb 20 13:45:51 kernel: VFS: file-max limit 22703 reached

I've been having to reboot every couple of days with this firmware to regain DNS, and I'm not exactly sure why or how I'm reaching the limit. I might have to go back to an older version since this makes it terribly inconvenient.

When this happens next, could you both look at the System Log and whether you see multiple entries like this:
Code:
Feb 20 13:45:51 kernel: VFS: file-max limit 22703 reached

Did you install the download master or something else on the router?

Take a look at this:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8773

I did not experience the problem, but i am only using the firmware since 3-4 days. I am not using the download master, only openvpn.

I agree, something strange is going on with DNS.( I have a hard time working on it because everything I try to family screams at me)

So anyway...I enabled JFFS2 again, and lost DNS (I think, no connection to the outside world/no name resolution) So I tried the normal thing I do...enable/disable/reboot...
Then I remembers over here...

Originally when I did the reflash I lost DNS...So I went to that section and removed the DNS IP, and hit apply...connection back. Long story short...I lost connection again, added the router IP to Local DNS hit apply, connection is back.

I want to enable JFFS again and lose DNS then go back to that section and remove local dns and see what happens...

Not sure if this info helps at all..feel like I'm beating a dead horse..

On a side note I noticed the Webif was saying HW acceleration was incompatible.. I disabled it....Is it really incompatible? Should I keep it disabled?

Last edited:
Quick, update... enabled JFFS, lost connection.. went to LAN-DHCP-Server-DNS and WINS Server Setting, removed the DNS server hit apply...still no connection...Added the DNS server...I now have DNS...and I think adblock kinda works...Unfortunately it seems to as unstable as Charles Manson on crack, and works for a few then dies...

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,

I wan't to use your latest release of the firmware 3.0.0.4.270.24 but when is flashed it in my router evreything works well except SMB (sharing) to my synology shares. When i use the factory firmware is don't have this problem.

Do you have an suggestion?

Regards,

Arjen:confused:

Hi Merlin!
Can you please tell me where can i check the signal strength and what wifi devices are connected (and if they are on 2.4 or 5Ghz)? I can't seem to find that anywhere...
Thanks in advance!

The only place i can see something is in System Log - Wireless log, and in the rssi tab i can only see ?? dBm :(

Last edited:
The only place i can see something is in System Log - Wireless log, and in the rssi tab i can only see ?? dBm :(
Hi,

That's the right place and if you refresh the information on the 'Wireless Log' page (with the 'Refresh' button) you will get correct dBm values. :D

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:
My usb stick is mounted read only. What must I do? Other than manually editing fstab...?
When I type mount, I see rw in the information, but after a few seconds mount command shows it as ro

PS: sorry for sounding n00bish. I am a user of tomato and dd-wrt for 10+ years : D Started testing Asuswrt-merlin this week.

Last edited:
Quick, update... enabled JFFS, lost connection.. went to LAN-DHCP-Server-DNS and WINS Server Setting, removed the DNS server hit apply...still no connection...Added the DNS server...I now have DNS...and I think adblock kinda works...Unfortunately it seems to as unstable as Charles Manson on crack, and works for a few then dies...

You're the only person to report such a problem, and I can't see any logical explanation either - there is zero relation between the JFFS partition and the networking. I would recommend wiping your your configuration and reconfiguring your router from scratch.

Hi Merlin,

I wan't to use your latest release of the firmware 3.0.0.4.270.24 but when is flashed it in my router evreything works well except SMB (sharing) to my synology shares. When i use the factory firmware is don't have this problem.

Do you have an suggestion?

Regards,

Arjen:confused:

I've had two persons mention having issues mapping network shares to their NAS, and I can't think of any logical explanation to this. I have no problem here either, so I can't reproduce the issue. Have you configured the router to act as the SMB Master Browser? Do you have any USB disk plugged to it?

My usb stick is mounted read only. What must I do? Other than manually editing fstab...?
When I type mount, I see rw in the information, but after a few seconds mount command shows it as ro

PS: sorry for sounding n00bish. I am a user of tomato and dd-wrt for 10+ years : D Started testing Asuswr-merlin this week.

What filesystem? Have you tried plugging it to a PC to run a chkdsk/fsck on it in case the filesystem is corrupted?

I've had two persons mention having issues mapping network shares to their NAS, and I can't think of any logical explanation to this. I have no problem here either, so I can't reproduce the issue. Have you configured the router to act as the SMB Master Browser? Do you have any USB disk plugged to it?

I did not use any usbstick or disk at all.
I will test further, but where can i check or uncheck the option to be the masterbrowser.

regards,

Arjen

I have tested once again.
now i look around better and disabled dlna,sharing and masterbrowser then checked and i can connect with my synology.

Hope that is the right information for you.

For now i know what i can do so sharing with my synology is not an problem

I have tested once again.
now i look around better and disabled dlna,sharing and masterbrowser then checked and i can connect with my synology.

Hope that is the right information for you.

For now i know what i can do so sharing with my synology is not an problem

Was Master Browser enabled when you had the problem?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!