What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have installed Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 firmware on my Asus RT-AC66U and everything works, except the traffic log for IP´s on daily and monthly base.

I can't set a date (from / to) with google chorme and firefox.
Also I have cleared/resetted the log-file via admin-page. Unfortunately without success.

The live-view from connected IP´s with active connections and traffic is working.

Works for me with Google Chrome. Check that you don't have an add-on interfering with it, such as an ad blocker.

Also check the browser error console for any Javascript error which might hint at what is happening.

I thought it was my OS being derpy...as I had recently run Win update and had updated some system drivers...and, the other 2 wifi 5ghz devices I had(not AC) connected just fine right away...... so....I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro on my laptop and got everything re-setup....(I needed to anyway...) but.....it still showed this odd behavior...

I flashed back to stock firmware my AC56U...and the issue was fixed for a short time....now it started doing it again....I saw the Intel software say some thing about unknown authentication status..right before it connects...

From what I heard, Intel's wireless driver for the 7260 isn't fully stable yet. This might be the cause.

Try experimenting with different channels and with different beamforming settings on the router to see if it helps. Might also be worth downgrading to an older Intel driver to see what happens (if you already had the latest).

Successfully upgraded from 374.33.beta1 to 374.33 SDK6, no issues so far.

Merlin, BTW I couldn't see any significant change in OpenVPN server performance.

You might be ISP-capped in your case. When I tested by running iperf through an OpenVPN tunnel on my LAN I saw my throughput increase from 22 MB/s to 26 MB/s with all the recent optimizations.

SDK5 much better in range than SDK6

Hi,
I tried both the 374.33_0 and the 374.33_0-sdk5 firmware in my RT-N66U router.
The sdk5 variant is much better for me, living in a big house with big garden. The sdk6 version is much less powerfull in range than the sdk5.

The main reason that I bought this router was it's range. With Asus Original firmware and Merlin's sdk6 version this advantage has gone.

So I stick to the sdk5 version until the sdk6 (or 7) gives a strong enough signal to cover my "palace" :)

You might be ISP-capped in your case. When I tested by running iperf through an OpenVPN tunnel on my LAN I saw my throughput increase from 22 MB/s to 26 MB/s with all the recent optimizations.

I've checked the OpenVPN server performance by the following way:

A. Using speedtest.net

1. Without VPN. From my office (the same ISP as at home) using speedtest.net to the server hosted by the same ISP - download 22 Mbps, upload 22 Mbps
2. With VPN. From my office using the OpenVPN tunnel to my home and redirecting the traffic through the tunnel to the same speedtest.net server - download 12 Mbps, upload 7.5 Mbps

B. Using iperf

1. With VPN. From my office using the OpenVPN tunnel to my home (LAN side of the router). Iperf server running on RT-N66U at home. Bandwidth shown by iperf - 7 Mbps
2. Without VPN. From my office to my home directly (WAN side of the router). Iperf server running on RT-N66U at home. Failed to connect. Obviously I did something wrong as it seems to be that the iperf server does not listen on the WAN side.

Background information: My home connection is asymmetric - 50 Mbps download and 33 Mbps upload according to the contract with ISP. The iperf server is from Entware package. And just to note again - my office and my home are using the same ISP and are on 3 hops distance, ping time 2 ms.

Last edited:
I have a recurring problem with the last couple of versions of this firmware. Namely, the 2.4Ghz band is not stable. It stops working after a period of time (between about 1 and 4 days). At that point, the only recourse is to reboot the router. I can still connect over the 5 Ghz band, and can ssh into the router (both from LAN and WAN) even after the 2.4 band goes down.

I saw this problem with the last version of the firmware as well. In a prior post on this topic, it was suggested that I really need to wipe everything and restore to factory defaults before flashing the firmware. I did that on the last version, and the problem did not go away. Before flashing this version of the firmware, I nevertheless reverted to factory defaults before flashing and yet the problem remains.

I'd like to try and troubleshoot the issue, but syslog.log shows nothing whatsoever that gives me a clue as to why this is happening.

Since by all accounts the firmware is stable for others, I suspect there must be something about my situation that is unique. I do connect over 2.4 with a number of different clients (i.e. devices with different chipsets, OS etc), so perhaps there is a compatibility issue at play. But I have no way to troubleshoot.... Is there a way to enable more verbose logging to perhaps help me track the issue down?

Of course, I may just have a lemon device with a bad 2.4 radio... However, I'd like to rule out other problems before having to buy another router.

Thanks...

For me the wireless performance with the latest version on my NT-66U is really bad. I've mostly seen it when trying to access media files on my NAS or when I try to access the internet with my phone. Especially on the NAS it's really slow to navigate files and when a video file is started it seems to be buffering all the time. The reduction in range shouldn't be the issue since both router and TV are in the same room (maybe 4m apart).

I'll see if switching to the SDK5 version brings the improvement I'm looking for.

I know that when upgrading from SDK5 to 6 it is important to revert to factory defaults but is the same true when going back to SDK5?

I went back to the 32 firmware because the 33 had some kind of weird problem on the 5GHz band when using my Nexus 7.

On the 33 firmware, the Nexus 7 would drop the 5GHz connection and connect to the 2.4GHz band instead after about 20 mins. Been on the 5GHz band on the 32 firmware for hours now no problems.

For me the wireless performance with the latest version on my NT-66U is really bad. I've mostly seen it when trying to access media files on my NAS or when I try to access the internet with my phone. Especially on the NAS it's really slow to navigate files and when a video file is started it seems to be buffering all the time. The reduction in range shouldn't be the issue since both router and TV are in the same room (maybe 4m apart).

I'll see if switching to the SDK5 version brings the improvement I'm looking for.

I know that when upgrading from SDK5 to 6 it is important to revert to factory defaults but is the same true when going back to SDK5?

Just curious, if it's 4m why not use Ethernet for your TV?

I went back to the 32 firmware because the 33 had some kind of weird problem on the 5GHz band when using my Nexus 7.

On the 33 firmware, the Nexus 7 would drop the 5GHz connection and connect to the 2.4GHz band instead after about 20 mins. Been on the 5GHz band on the 32 firmware for hours now no problems.

Just switch to the sdk5 build, which uses the same driver as 374.32. This has been extensively documented on the forums.

Kind of a long-shot, but maybe try flipping the various "allow the PC to turn this device off to save power," "allow this device to wake the PC on network activity," etc options.

I have seen such funkiness in the past and at least in Win 8 w/ my PCI Ethernet NIC I actually had to turn on "allow the PC to turn this device off to save power," in order to make the other power savings/WOL settings visible to be toggled. It gets goofy because of the variety of "degrees of sleep" (for lack of a better phrase) that Win 7 & 8 can implement at a hardware level.

Also it might be worth uninstalling the Intel proprietary NIC manager and just relying on Win 8's systray/network manager to handle supervision of the NIC. I've seen OEM utilities butt heads w/ Windows' own handling of devices in the past.

nope...that has no effect.....win 8 fails to connect on its own....event logs for wlan in event viewer shows a few sets of "Operation canceled"...before it connects successfully after about 2 min or so of trying.

From what I heard, Intel's wireless driver for the 7260 isn't fully stable yet. This might be the cause.

Try experimenting with different channels and with different beamforming settings on the router to see if it helps. Might also be worth downgrading to an older Intel driver to see what happens (if you already had the latest).

I was wondering about beam forming....and if it really was any good...with it on...signal would go up and down alot...

I turned off Explicit beamforming and enabled Implicit beamforming....signal seems much more stable...

weird...I thought that "Explicit beamforming" is better and should be supports on AC cards.

nope...that has no effect.....win 8 fails to connect on its own....event logs for wlan in event viewer shows a few sets of "Operation canceled"...before it connects successfully after about 2 min or so of trying.

Have you tried removing the Intel utility to see how it behaves on driver alone?

Looks like there was a f/w update for your NIC last month, not just a driver update, for issues that your symptoms probably fall under.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034535.htm

Have you done the f/w update? & which version of the driver are you at?

If you *need* the Intel utility just to establish a wifi connection it sounds like something that they haven't fully sorted out yet.

Last edited:
AC56U and Intel AC-7260...and Win 8

I started having a weird issue of the wifi just dropping suddenly on my laptop.... after a few hours of normal use. Then....I noticed the wifi would not auto connect at boot....both the Intel software and the built in Windows wifi manager had this issues. Normally, the wifi would connect instantly adn the Intel software would make its chime and popup saying connected. It took some attempts, but after a min or 2, it would connect and stay connected just fine, until you rebooted...then same thing..

I thought it was my OS being derpy...as I had recently run Win update and had updated some system drivers...and, the other 2 wifi 5ghz devices I had(not AC) connected just fine right away...... so....I did a clean install of Win 8 Pro on my laptop and got everything re-setup....(I needed to anyway...) but.....it still showed this odd behavior...

I flashed back to stock firmware my AC56U...and the issue was fixed for a short time....now it started doing it again....I saw the Intel software say some thing about unknown authentication status..right before it connects...

I have been following the Intel wireless forums very carefully over the past few months as I had the same issue with my Intel wireless 2230 adaptor in one of my Asus laptops. Bottom line, Intel have been having some serious issues with wireless drivers for Windows 8 64 bit. The just recently released version 16.1.5 which seems to have resolved the connectivity issues most users were facing.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23169

Hi,

Any reason why not reading first the posting about the new firmware?
The section "Important" should give you the needed insight... :rolleyes:

With kind regards
Joe :cool:
Well it wasn't clear enough and i wanted to be sure, i don't really want to do a factory reset atm.

Seems to indicate...

3.0.0.4.374.33 (3-Oct-2013):
* IMPORTANT *: RT-N66U users must revert back to factory defaults and
manually reconfigure their settings if coming from a FW
older than 3.0.0.4.374.xxx (applies to both Asus or
Asuswrt-Merlin).

...so I guess this means that I don't have to worry about it and I can just flash it over my existing install since I'm currently on 3.0.0.4.374.32

Have you tried removing the Intel utility to see how it behaves on driver alone?

Looks like there was a f/w update for your NIC last month, not just a driver update, for issues that your symptoms probably fall under.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034535.htm

Have you done the f/w update? & which version of the driver are you at?

If you *need* the Intel utility just to establish a wifi connection it sounds like something that they haven't fully sorted out yet.

same thing with out Intel software....

and how do u update the cards firmware...doesn't the driver installer handle that when u install the software?

Intel densest have older drivers listed on their site for that card(or at least I don't see link)

I am using the the current driver version that is posted 9-11-13 ver 16.1.5

that link u sent..mentions the 6235....that was my previous card...and never had any issues.

Last edited:
that link u sent..mentions the 6235....that was my previous card...and never had any issues.

9avehase.jpg

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!