What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have been using .33 for a while now with the dual wan feature enabled so I can balance my 2 cable modems. It is working rather well, the only issue i see is that miniupnpd seems to still think the secondary wan port is on the lan and spams the log with messages like:

SSDP packet sender 169.254.4.144:49152 not from a LAN, ignoring

I havent found a way to get it to stop because miniupnpd seems to only accept 1 interface as the wan interface and that by default is set to the original wan. So miniupnpd doesn't seem to work for the secondary wan interface at all meaning no upnp.

having miniupnpd mirror the ports opened on the first wan would be ideal, what do you think?

Thanks!

Hi RMerlin. I have the RT-AC68U but am experiencing both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless dropout every few hours, the remedy is to power cycle the router. I have the latest Asus firmware. I know you are very busy but will be working on this router as a future project? I did have the RT-N66U with your firmware and it was rock solid, I am getting to the point where I may revert back to the
RT-N66U until Asus release a much more stable firmware or wait until you come out with something.

You can try the SDK5 version or the older RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b.zip and see if it fixes the issue for you.

I have been using .33 for a while now with the dual wan feature enabled so I can balance my 2 cable modems. It is working rather well, the only issue i see is that miniupnpd seems to still think the secondary wan port is on the lan and spams the log with messages like:

SSDP packet sender 169.254.4.144:49152 not from a LAN, ignoring

I havent found a way to get it to stop because miniupnpd seems to only accept 1 interface as the wan interface and that by default is set to the original wan. So miniupnpd doesn't seem to work for the secondary wan interface at all meaning no upnp.

having miniupnpd mirror the ports opened on the first wan would be ideal, what do you think?

Thanks!

I have done next to no tests to DualWAN as it was only recently introduced by Asus. This is probably something that also affects the original firmware, so hopefully they will take care of fixing it for us. Not sure what technical challenge might be introduced there, as I don't know if miniupnpd itself was designed to handle multiple WAN interfaces.

Uptime 13 days and syslog is still clean.
No complains from the family about WiFi. :D

[RT-N66U] 374.33 SDK5 vs. SDK6

Trying to follow along these fast-moving threads ain't easy. But here's a simple question. I have an RT-N66U.

My understanding is
  • the 374.33 firmware with the new SDK6 fixes some 5 GHz connection and reliability issues
  • the firmware with the older SDK5 has better 2.4 GHz range
Is this the correct summary of the differences? I'm having trouble choosing. My house is long from end to end.

Yes, it's true in both cases plus SDK6 adds hardware acceleration in PPPOE connections. If you're house is long from end to end and no hardware acceleration needed then you're better off with SDK5.

Last edited:
FWIW the SDK6 has a signal issue on both bands not just the 2.4 Ghz band. Also not sure the N66 was ever suppose to use SDK6 not sure why they even forced SDK6 on the N66 when SDK5 workes so much better.

FWIW the SDK6 has a signal issue on both bands not just the 2.4 Ghz band. Also not sure the N66 was ever suppose to use SDK6 not sure why they even forced SDK6 on the N66 when SDK5 workes so much better.

Because the older SDK5 driver (5.100) lacked PPPoE HW acceleration and the fix for XBox owners. 5.110, the update from Broadcom, was so plagued with stability issues that Asus gave up on it, and moved on to SDK6 and its 6.30 driver.

SDK6 probably allows them to get new Broadcom features such as Beamforming as well.

Fair enough Merlin but for my N66 K5 works much better. Just saying...

Fair enough Merlin but for my N66 K5 works much better. Just saying...

And people with 300 Mbits PPPoE connection will prefer to be able to get the full 300 Mbps rather than only 100 Mbits. To each his own.

Asus already said they were looking into the range issue. Nothing is saying that this cannot be fixed. In the meantime, that's why I make both versions available. And Asus still keeps the 276 FW available.

Last edited:
Issues with Dell Wireless 1540 and 5HGz network

Maybe...

1. Have you looked for a driver update for the Dell Wireless 1540 card?

2. I assume that you've rebooted your laptop?

3. Have you "forgotten" the 5GHz. network on your Dell laptop, and then tried to connect after that?

I am using the latest Dell Wireless 1540 driver.

With the RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_270.26b firmware loaded, the 5GHz network shows in Windows Wireless Connections. With the RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_372.30 and RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.33 firmwares, it does not.

toyko...

I have problems with my Broadcom dual mode card and any firmware past RMerlin's .32 version and 5ghz.

His .32 version is basically the same core, as I understand it, as the .26b version. It makes sense that for me the .26b and the .32 version work.

It also makes sense that anything beyond the .32 version don't work consistently. Whatever it is that keeps my Broadcom card from negotiating the 5ghz connection is in each version that is based on the newer firmware core.

Have been told, as you have, update the driver OR my card is no longer supported as if it is "old".

My card is not "old". It isn't new but it is a dual mode N card.

Something is different beyond the core that is used in the .26b version and as you it is the 5ghz channel that causes the problem.

The good news is the .26b and RMerlin's .32 version are quite amazing and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. In fact each new Asus version on which RMerlin does his magic all seem to be 2 steps forward and 6 steps backwards.

And yes I know the 1540 is an Intel Centrino card....

Last edited:
toyko...

I have problems with my Broadcom dual mode card and any firmware past RMerlin's .32 version and 5ghz.

His .32 version is basically the same core, as I understand it, as the .26b version. It makes sense that for me the .26b and the .32 version work.

Just switch to the SDK5 build. It's the same driver as these two versions.

Hi All,
after upgrading RT-N66U to 3.0.0.4.374.33 I have strange issue there. Router rebooting in a random times. I restored settings after flashing to its default settings.
How I can find where is the issue?
Also there is a strange issue with 2.4GHz Wireless. Network speed really slow, 2-4Mbps. What is the best performance settings for 2.4GHz?
Also maybe this one is related with router random reboots?

Hi All,
after upgrading RT-N66U to 3.0.0.4.374.33 I have strange issue there. Router rebooting in a random times. I restored settings after flashing to its default settings.
How I can find where is the issue?
Also there is a strange issue with 2.4GHz Wireless. Network speed really slow, 2-4Mbps. What is the best performance settings for 2.4GHz?
Also maybe this one is related with router random reboots?

First, when you restored your settings, did you do it manually or via a saved settings file? If you used a saved settings file, I'd recommend trying going back to default settings again and re-entering your settings manually.

Secondly, for 2.4GHz. settings, I would use 20MHz. channel width, and use a wireless app like inSSIDer to find the clearest channel, and set the channel to that. In other words, avoid using "Auto" for the channel, and any channel width choice on 2.4GHz. that has 40MHz. in it (20/40 or 40).

Just switch to the SDK5 build...

Had trouble with even the newest firmware's past .32 version with SDK5.

I'm quite happy with .32 build. Stable, fast, more features than I'll ever use.

Have a Linksys E3000 hanging off the 66 via wired as an AP. All works very well and with the AP my wireless coverage and utilization on the wired side for separate entertainment rooms is outstanding. Have two entertainment rooms in which networked devices reside.

Just switch to the SDK5 build...

Had trouble with even the newest firmware's past .32 version with SDK5.

It's the exact same driver in 374.32 and 374.33-sdk5, so I don't see how wireless could behave differently between both releases.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!