What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.33 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi RMerlin, I would just like to feedback that I have reverted back to the SDK5 build firmware for my RT-N66U after using the SDK6 for about a week.

The signal strength/range has dropped quite a bit for the SDK6 build resulting in deadzones (previous do not have) in the my apartment.

Thanks for your effort for maintaining both SDK5/6 build concurrently.

For me the wireless performance with the latest version on my NT-66U is really bad. I've mostly seen it when trying to access media files on my NAS or when I try to access the internet with my phone. Especially on the NAS it's really slow to navigate files and when a video file is started it seems to be buffering all the time. The reduction in range shouldn't be the issue since both router and TV are in the same room (maybe 4m apart).

I'll see if switching to the SDK5 version brings the improvement I'm looking for.

I know that when upgrading from SDK5 to 6 it is important to revert to factory defaults but is the same true when going back to SDK5?

did you trying changing over to SDK5? im still using the SDK6 version inside .33 and i find that although the wifi connects when ever i try and access any folders or media sitting on my windows server2012E that it just hangs and i cant really access anything. But as soon as i ditch the wifi and plug in a Ethernet cable everything comes back to life.
I dont have another wifi windows laptop to see if its just an issue with my wifi card or the SDK5.

Just curious, if it's 4m why not use Ethernet for your TV?

For the most part out of convenience. The TV isn't mission critical so I don't need maximum speed or low latency. I mean as long as the transfer speed is high enough to stream HD video. So I'd rather not add another cord into the room which is full of them since the PC and equipment for it are in the same room.

did you trying changing over to SDK5? im still using the SDK6 version inside .33 and i find that although the wifi connects when ever i try and access any folders or media sitting on my windows server2012E that it just hangs and i cant really access anything. But as soon as i ditch the wifi and plug in a Ethernet cable everything comes back to life.
I dont have another wifi windows laptop to see if its just an issue with my wifi card or the SDK5.

I didn't have the time yesterday night. I'll do it today once I'm back home from work. I mean if I have to reset to factory defaults then I'll need a bit of time to get it all set again. And I can confirm the Ethernet thing since my PC is plugged in directly via Ethernet and has no trouble transferring stuff at high speeds to the NAS.

Works for me with Google Chrome. Check that you don't have an add-on interfering with it, such as an ad blocker.

Also check the browser error console for any Javascript error which might hint at what is happening.

I don´t have installed plugins like adblock, but I have disabled all plugins for a test.

I tried it again with chrome console and found following info:

Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (-1) https://192.168.1.1:xxxx/manifest.appcache

Honestly I don´t understand the error message :(

I can choose the date and the scale dropdown - both are working fine.
Only the 2 date-range dropdowns (from / to) are not working.

I don´t have installed plugins like adblock, but I have disabled all plugins for a test.

I tried it again with chrome console and found following info:

Application Cache Error event: Manifest fetch failed (-1) https://192.168.1.1:xxxx/manifest.appcache

Honestly I don´t understand the error message :(

I can choose the date and the scale dropdown - both are working fine.
Only the 2 date-range dropdowns (from / to) are not working.

That cache error is normal, you can ignore it.

Are you sure you do have saved traffic data? The dropdown will only populate with the dates for which it contains data.

yup, I´m sure. :)
Anyway I have found a solution.

I have disabled and enabled the function (Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)) now more than 3 times and now it´s working. Not sure why, but it´s ok ;)

So if I am using an ASUS FW, I want to first restore to factory defaults, then flash your firmware? Or Flash, the restore?

So if I am using an ASUS FW, I want to first restore to factory defaults, then flash your firmware? Or Flash, the restore?
Hi,

Factory reset BEFORE flashing new firmware does not make much sense - as it's based on the OLD firmware. :eek:

Factory reset AFTER flashing new firmeware makes much sense - as it's based on the NEW firmware. :rolleyes:
And then entering manually the configuraton - no restore of old settings!

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

Last edited:

I was under the impression that u didn't need to do a factory reset for installing Merlin because it is just modded Asus firmware. I have switched between Merlin and stock firmware on my AC56U several times and never reset.(except for one time when something messed up)

I suppose it may vary form model to model...and when major changes are made in firmware versions.

reset to default, is not 100% needed
and often does not need to be done unless there's a problem
unexplained errors/problems could be caused by values that do not change when you flash a firmware, so new defaults are only set when you clear nvram

so in general, I think it's a good suggestion, but mostly not required

the same would apply with official firmware

example
running sdk5 official firmware
upgrade to sdk6 official firmware
would require reset to defaults

Channel selection onto the 2.4 GHz band

Hello Merlin,
just one small question:
I would like to select channel #9 onto the 2.4 GHz band, but I see now that the channels have a letter associated to the number.
Anyway, I can select all the channels I like but the router transmits only on channel #1 ...

If I leave the control into the "auto" position, the TX is on the channel, #6, any other setup from channel 1 to 13 forces me to channel 1.

Please could you provide me a suggestion ?
Thanks and regards

Luca

PS: what is the meaning of the letters "u" and "l" ?
I can imagine it stands for "upper" and "lower" ... but it's the first time that I can see such a diversification ....

Last edited:
Hello Merlin,
just one small question:
I would like to select channel #9 onto the 2.4 GHz band, but I see now that the channels have a letter associated to the number.
Anyway, I can select all the channels I like but the router transmits only on channel #1 ...
Hi,

You have to slelect first "Channel bandwidth = 20 MHz" then you can have any channel you want.

If you have 20/40 or 40 MHz then you need to make up your mind for a u (=upper) or l (=lower) channel. The corresponding upper or lower is then fixed. :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Hi,

You have to slelect first "Channel bandwidth = 20 MHz" then you can have any channel you want.

If you have 20/40 or 40 MHz then you need to make up your mind for a u (=upper) or l (=lower) channel. The corresponding upper or lower is then fixed. :rolleyes:

With kind regards

Thank you really so much, now it works.:)

So I assume there are no ways to have 40 MHz bandwidth onto the channel I like ...

Since someone was asking I just wanted to mention that downgrading to the SDK5 version of 33 fixed my streaming issues.

Thank you really so much, now it works.:)

So I assume there are no ways to have 40 MHz bandwidth onto the channel I like ...

Using 40mhz wide channels on 2.4ghz will occupy about 2/3rd of the entire available spectrum. The chances of it not having competing activity on overlapping channels is pretty small unless your location is somewhat isolated. Competing RF on your 2/3rd of the spectrum chunk will tend to have a negative effect on your throughput and stability.

The l & u suffix on the channel # selector is in fact allowing to pick exactly where you want your 40mhz wide chunk. (If you search my old posts I have shared links to what the breakdown are on l & u combinations)

If you have a compelling reason to do 40mhz on 2.4, setting the channel to auto should theoretically pick the main and co-channel with the least interference and would also move them around if it needs to later. Pretty much no router manufacturers recommend, or default to, forced 40mhz channels on 2.4ghz especially with user configured channel selection - this obviously would do more harm than good for everyone's wifi and with the flood of dual band multi stream N & AC devices over the last few years, hopefully people can stop trying to coax increased performance out of 2.4 at the risk of just interfering with more networks.

Last edited:
Since someone was asking I just wanted to mention that downgrading to the SDK5 version of 33 fixed my streaming issues.

I scrolled back to your orig post (#208), it would help if you mentioned what band you were using, just so people know.

Using 40mhz wide channels on 2.4ghz will occupy about 2/3rd of the entire available spectrum. The chances of it not having competing activity on overlapping channels is pretty small unless your location is somewhat isolated. Competing RF on your 2/3rd of the spectrum chunk will tend to have a negative effect on your throughput and stability.

The l & u suffix on the channel # selector is in fact allowing to pick exactly where you want your 40mhz wide chunk. (If you search my old posts I have shared links to what the breakdown are on l & u combinations)

If you have a compelling reason to do 40mhz on 2.4, setting the channel to auto should theoretically pick the main and co-channel with the least interference and would also move them around if it needs to later. Pretty much no router manufacturers recommend, or default to, forced 40mhz channels on 2.4mhz especially with user configured channel selection - this obviously would do more harm than good for everyone's wifi and with the flood of dual band multi stream N & AC devices over the last fee years, hopefully people can stop trying to coax increased performance out of 2.4 at the risk of just interfering with more networks.

2.4ghz band is ok....if there are no other wifi networks around....I live in an apartment with nearly 40 wifi networks....2.4 band is unusable for me....I would get maybe 2-5MB's....switched to 5ghz AC....World of Difference!!! 30-40MB's......go 5ghz if you can...shorter range...but well worth it.

Hi RMerlin. I have the RT-AC68U but am experiencing both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless dropout every few hours, the remedy is to power cycle the router. I have the latest Asus firmware. I know you are very busy but will be working on this router as a future project? I did have the RT-N66U with your firmware and it was rock solid, I am getting to the point where I may revert back to the
RT-N66U until Asus release a much more stable firmware or wait until you come out with something.

Hi RMerlin. I have the RT-AC68U but am experiencing both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless dropout every few hours, the remedy is to power cycle the router. I have the latest Asus firmware. I know you are very busy but will be working on this router as a future project? I did have the RT-N66U with your firmware and it was rock solid, I am getting to the point where I may revert back to the
RT-N66U until Asus release a much more stable firmware or wait until you come out with something.

I can't help with wireless stability issues, the drivers are closed source anyway.

RT-AC68U support is coming, no ETA. Won't be until at least the new firmware that Asus should release within a week or two.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!