What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.5 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tnx!. Yes these lights are super super bright. I hope Merlin ( or someone else) can do a trick. Or I just turn the device facing the wall. 😊 The FW you mentioned is recent so I could try that on. Trouble now is to figure out which FW fits my needs/hobby, Atm I’ve script running but maybe I can do without them and divide some devices using vlans with the one you mention. Als I could grab my netgear switch and go from there… All fun and games..!
There's an LED control script in entware that survives reboots. From amtm enter "lc" to install and whenever you want to change it's setting.

*I have no windows pc’s but I got spammed with dns.msftncsi.com every minute seeing the NextDNS Logs, not a big problem for me but that’s approx. 40k+ hits a month. Is this standard for the new AX routers? Maybe i setup Diversion to counter these hits before showing up at NextDNS. But would defeat its purpose.

That is the router checking if the WAN is up. When the wan is down, users are redirected to a WAN down message. The definition for the host to check via DNS is under WAN on the left side and Duel WAN on the top. Strange place...

*I did looked for wired VLAN settings page, but reading the forums it isn’t there yet. I hope soon?
RMerlin has said that it will be a long time before that becomes part of his firmware.

*I have no windows pc’s but I got spammed with dns.msftncsi.com every minute seeing the NextDNS Logs, not a big problem for me but that’s approx. 40k+ hits a month. Is this standard for the new AX routers?
This has been the firmware's default for a number of years now. It was discussed extensively at the time. It's not specific to AX routers.

Likely an nvram variable value that could be manually adjusted and survive reboots stock /or/ Merlin.
As @Morris said, you can change it in the GUI at Administration - System (or WAN - Dual WAN) > Network Monitoring > DNS Query.

Last edited:
Ah perfect!

Thank you all for your answers.

• I will try the setting for dns.msftncsi.com, System (or WAN - Dual WAN) > Network Monitoring > DNS Query.
  • I wait patiently for VLAN page to arrive some day. Why so long must be for more stability than today in a later stage i think.
  • I definitely will look for the entware package for the bright lights ! From: amtm enter "lc"
Im getting there!

I will try the setting for dns.msftncsi.com, System (or WAN - Dual WAN) > Network Monitoring > DNS Query.

Even with Network Monitoring disabled the router still sends queries to dns.msftncsi.com multiple times a day.

Administration, System:

1702916704643.png

WAN, Dual WAN:

1702916738327.png

The same with current stock Asuswrt base.

Upgraded on my GT-AX11000 but noticed an issue where all my clients were connecting to the 2.4GHz. The 5GHz was populating with some clients after a restart, but soon everything was switching to the 2.4GHz. I guess something's wrong with the SmartConnect, but I didn't have the time to try a reset, so I reverted to 3004.388.4 and everything was back to normal.

Upgraded on my GT-AX11000 but noticed an issue where all my clients were connecting to the 2.4GHz. The 5GHz was populating with some clients after a restart, but soon everything was switching to the 2.4GHz. I guess something's wrong with the SmartConnect, but I didn't have the time to try a reset, so I reverted to 3004.388.4 and everything was back to normal.

Don't use SmartConnect. It's the client's job to decide where to connect. If you have clients that make bad choices, address them individually, possibly by using separate SSIDs for each band.

Don't use SmartConnect. It's the client's job to decide where to connect. If you have clients that make bad choices, address them individually, possibly by using separate SSIDs for each band.
Hi Morris, I'm evaluating the pros and cons. Separating the SSID is not viable, I have far too many clients...

I had a short period of time to cover the 2 challenges last night. The first one I tried was DNS Query. 99 seconds is max and dual wan can’t remember. Anyhow I tried to block these domains and then internet went down. Didn’t work unfortunately. The led script is great but didn’t lower the brightness rather than On/Off with scheduled timers. I have to think about these moments on or off.

Wrap-up: Wi-Fi Site Survey page still gives 10MHz 1 channel ( maybe broken or never fixed?) but no problem as I just use inSSIDer someday.
Moving forward: I give up on the dns.msftncsi.com reoccurring every minute heartbeat. Its baked-in by Merlin and Asus somewhere. It is what it is.

It’s a great router but I have to finetune some bits and bytes. And it’s fun to do!

Tnx!

Well, 3 days after reset.
Wireless uptime not get resetted, hurray!

Im happy. So happy.
Merry Xmas guys!

Attachments

• 20231219_135219.jpg
    20231219_135219.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 60
The led script is great but didn’t lower the brightness rather than On/Off with scheduled timers.
Got home from work this morning and while hitting the bottle glanced over at my router with its many LEDs blinking and thought how great it would be to see 3-D holographic images instead of the unknowable meanings from where I stood...

Got home from work this morning and while hitting the bottle glanced over at my router with its many LEDs blinking and thought how great it would be to see 3-D holographic images instead of the unknowable meanings from where I stood...
That's a fine bottle you're drinking from. Good Holiday cheer!

Gizmo bright lights

ehh what is this why no more speedtests
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Connection quality - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Retrieving data for WebUI charts

1703116049446.png

1703116067642.png

All's goodie here

1000106157.jpg

ehh what is this why no more speedtests
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Connection quality - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Retrieving data for WebUI charts
Because SpdMerlin is an add-on script you probably should post your issue or question to the add-on subforum. For example the SpdMerlin thread there:
More SpdMerlin threads:
https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin-addons.60/?prefix_id=19
Note that the developer may no longer be actively monitoring or updating that and other scripts he has developed over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.