What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am going to do a router power cycle, try to flash immediately after, see if that helps. If not, I might have to wait to do a full reset and reconfig from scratch. 😣
Things to try:
Try clearing Browser Cache.
Unplug any USB ad on devices.
Electrical Reset Router followed by immediate flashing.

Edit: you are on a new router, when you converted from stock to rmerlin you were supposed to do a factory reset with the box checked to clear the entire unit before setting it up.

If after the above, if it still does not successfully flash, then you need to "Restore" to get it going properly.

@John Fitzgerald The power cycle did the trick. Earlier, I did a power cycle when I tried the upgrade a second time but let it sit for several long minutes before having a chance to try the upgrade. This time, I grabbed my laptop, sat next to the router and did the upgrade as soon as the router came online after the power cycle. Worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Friends!
Tell me, why in my WEB GUI the processor load is constantly up to 50%, while in top I see that it is no higher than 2%.
It seems to me that it started after the transition to 388.6.

1706773442212.png

Tell me, why in my WEB GUI the processor load is constantly up to 50%, while in top I see that it is no higher than 2%.
The second line in the top output shows the system at 60% idle, so the GUI is accurate. There’s a high system utilization at 29%, which isn’t easy to explain. What happens if you kill the wan-failover script? Does it settle down at all?

The second line in the top output shows the system at 60% idle, so the GUI is accurate. There’s a high system utilization at 29%, which isn’t easy to explain. What happens if you kill the wan-failover script? Does it settle down at all?
I disabled (uninstall) the script and it had no effect.
The CPU load was removed only after a complete restart of the router.

1706786314136.png

1706786369938.png

I have another 86Pro on 388.6 with almost similar functionality - and everything is ok in terms of the processor.

1706787823223.png

Some strange situation, almost mysterious :)

Last edited:
@jeepr There's nothing particularly obvious in the logs. There may have been some VPN events around 08:10 and 08:58 in the morning. Overnight an Ethernet device connected to eth1 was flapping, but that might just be its normal standby behaviour. You'll probably need to change "Log only messages more urgent than" to "all" to get more useful information.

Is this something that's only started happening after installing this release? If not then it would be best to open a separate thread.
got sick and tired of the disconnects
reverted back to 388.5
no unscheduled disconnects

got sick and tired of the disconnects
reverted back to 388.5
no unscheduled disconnects
Did you even try a factory reset?

RT-AX86U - ~912 MB from 1024 MB
View attachment 56085
Code:
# grep "memory  :" /tmp/syslog.log*
/tmp/syslog.log-1:May  5 06:05:08 kernel:     memory  : 0xffffffc000000000 - 0xffffffc040000000   (  1024 MB)
Thanks! It seems that around 100MB of RAM is lost in some devices, but this has nothing to do with this release of Asuswrt-Merlin 3004.388.6. This issue may be discussed in a new topic.

Nothing is lost.

Simply different methods to count.

And, different methods to count from.

Nothing is lost.

Simply different methods to count.

And, different methods to count from.
I disagree, but as I mentioned, this is not the place for this discussion.

Not a discussion. Fact.

My returning "drop" everything issue I have. Wired/WiFi, everything drops. Simply looks like everything reboots. Could be hours between, or days.
Diversion/Skynet. My syslog server don't show any critical error. From the normal block notice to sudden restart.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    17.9 KB · Views: 11
My returning "drop" everything issue I have. Wired/WiFi, everything drops. Simply looks like everything reboots. Could be hours between, or days.
Diversion/Skynet. My syslog server don't show any critical error. From the normal block notice to sudden restart.
That doesn't show us anything useful as it's from after the event happened. The entries leading up to the event would be more interesting, as would the subsequent bootup messages in the router's syslog (not from the remote log server).

That doesn't show us anything useful as it's from after the event happened. The entries leading up to the event would be more interesting, as would the subsequent bootup messages in the router's syslog (not from the remote log server).
I try to grab it. But how long log can I grab directly from the router? If I'm "lucky" it happens with a few hours apart but most of times it would mean I'm logged out already from the router.

But anyways, via the remote server, nothing of value is shown before it happens.

And if my logged in desktop looses connection too, am I stilled logged in and can see the whole log from before the failure/disconnect?
If I log in and look at my logs now I literally just see logs 10 minutes back in time.
Or is would a temporary disconnect not matter and logout time is indefinite on that page?

If I log in and look at my logs now I literally just see logs 10 minutes back in time.
You should be seeing hundreds of lines of log entries stretching back beyond when the router rebooted. If you're not seeing that there's either something seriously wrong with your router or something (like the Scribe addon script) is interfering with your syslog.

Have you tried doing a hard reset since this problem started?

You should be seeing hundreds of lines of log entries stretching back beyond when the router rebooted. If you're not seeing that there's either something seriously wrong with your router or something (like the Scribe addon script) is interfering with your syslog.

Have you tried doing a hard reset since this problem started?
The log spam is Skynet blocked inbound/outbound traffic.

Yes, wiped twice in multiple attempts to trial and error.

The log spam is Skynet blocked inbound/outbound traffic.
If you are saying that Skynet is producing so much spam that your log file only goes back 10 minutes then you need to disable Skynet so you can do some sensible diagnosis.