What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had to reset the router to default to get rid of this problem. There is any nvram setting that can affect the web gui functionality?

Of course you did.

(Should be the first thing to test, without restoring any saved settings, of course).

Can some explain a couple things?

Simpler share naming
(without the disk name)

So does this mean if I have /mnt/sda1/Torrents the share name would be only /Torrents? Where would this come into play?

NFS Exports - What is this used for and how is it different from Samba?

Last edited:
I have noticed that when the DNS Filtering is enabled in Parental Control, that a machine outside the filtering and with global filtering off, uses the routers DNS setting not the ones setup inside windows.

So the routers DNS is overruling a machines specific DNS.

If I turn off filtering this does not occur.

I just installed this version, and after restoring to default and then reconfiguring the settings, I hit reboot just to start it running anew. When it came back up, all the settings were lost. Anyone else?

I had to reset the router to default to get rid of this problem. There is any nvram setting that can affect the web gui functionality?

None that I can think of, but there's always the possibility of, somehow, having a setting contain totally unexpected data.

ipv6 breakage again

noticed this evening on Comcast ipv6 that my computers were no longer getting ipv6 addresses over dhcp. sure enough the RT-N66U no longer had an ipv6 address (lease expiry?) It looks like there are still bugs here.

restarting the router fixed it, but some tasks for my work require testing with ipv6, troublesome if it doesn't work reliably. This used to work quite well on the RT-N66U before the recent changes to ipv6 by Asus merlin mentioned.

noticed this evening on Comcast ipv6 that my computers were no longer getting ipv6 addresses over dhcp. sure enough the RT-N66U no longer had an ipv6 address (lease expiry?) It looks like there are still bugs here.

restarting the router fixed it, but some tasks for my work require testing with ipv6, troublesome if it doesn't work reliably. This used to work quite well on the RT-N66U before the recent changes to ipv6 by Asus merlin mentioned.

Personally I've had no issue with this. There has been one other report of this, but the other person experiencing it was unwilling to help me debug it. If you are willing to help out, could you do the following via ssh/telnet/RunCmd. Then paste the contents of the General and IPv6 System logs if it happens again to you.

Code:
nvram set ipv6_debug=1
service stop_radvd
service restart_dhcp6c
service restart_dhcp6s

Personally I've had no issue with this. There has been one other report of this, but the other person experiencing it was unwilling to help me debug it. If you are willing to help out, could you do the following via ssh/telnet/RunCmd. Then paste the contents of the General and IPv6 System logs if it happens again to you.

Code:
nvram set ipv6_debug=1
service stop_radvd
service restart_dhcp6c
service restart_dhcp6s

saintdev, ok done. I'll let you know if it happens again.

on another ipv6 issue, setting custom DNS servers in ipv6 used to work for me, doesn't anymore. if I set up custom ones and restart the router, again I don't get an ipv6 address. Have you tried this? I was using the OpenDNS ipv6 dns sandbox servers.

I will keep happening about every two to three days the n66 will lose its v6 address and a reboot will be required to get it back. This started in the 38 firmware and continued in the 39 build.

@ Saintdev I was not unwilling to help you trouble shoot this bug but I had already rolled back the firmware to 374_35_4sdk5 were there are no issues with v6.

I have problem with AC68U/Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.39_0 on TV Samsung UE40ES7000 (Cabled LAN utp cat5e). With the version 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 any problem!

what happens? simple; the television will turn off and turn on automatically every 4 minutes.

Before bringing the fw 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 you know how to recommend me thing I have to verify? have ideas?

Since it was impossible to use plex on tv i reinstalled fw version 38_2 while waiting for the next version fixes this problem.

Last edited:
For some reason I had poor speed test results on the 5GHz band with 39 even after reset, etc. Went back to 38_2 for now and speeds instantly went back to normal. Not sure why but I was able to reproduce on my AC66R and Macbook pro...

For some reason I had poor speed test results on the 5GHz band with 39 even after reset, etc. Went back to 38_2 for now and speeds instantly went back to normal. Not sure why but I was able to reproduce on my AC66R and Macbook pro...

the speed on the 5ghz band is crawling for me too with the exact same setup. ac66u and macbook pro. I am glad to hear that its fixed with 38.2. will flash first thing in the morning and see if it works for me. otherwise i am very close to replacing it with an airport extreme which i've recently experienced to be a rock solid router.

I installed this into the AC66 and it has worked flawless for the past few days.

One question though. Is there anyway to get a specific device (fixed IP within the NAT) to dial out through a VPN using the VPN client while the rest of the NAT is unaffected?

I am asking because I am trying to get Roku to dial out through a VPN service for content not available locally. However, that VPN service is slow and it's slowing down internet access for everyone else behind the router. Hence I am wondering if we can route the traffic just the Roku via the VPN, and everyone else normally.

Thanks.

These days using a VPN for servers out of your geographical location is old hat.

These days it's all about smart DNS services, these are special DNS addresses which you can just use in the router to replace those from your ISP. Unlike VPN there is no slow down with your connection.

I would recommend OverPlay Smart DNS and there are others.

SmartDNS or VPN? Both are great choices, but which is for you? SmartDNS if you only need access to streaming video or audio websites at the ultimate possible speed, GlobalVPN if you require encrypted access to all websites and protocols (Skype/MSN) via your choice of Country!

Last edited:
Bad wifi performance

Merlin, thank you for a new firmware! I've flashed it with factory reset from 38.2

Unfortunately, wifi performance is really poor. Even if I'm 1 meter from the router, I get a 50Mbps up and down and signal ratio near 70-73% (!). In other rooms of my apartment - no more than 30Mbps.

I use Thinkpad T420s with Intel Wifi Link 1000 BGN card. Are there any way to resolve the issue?

Thank you!

UPD: flashed EM with factory reset - situation becomes better (around 80Mbps).

Last edited:
These days using a VPN for servers out of your geographical location is old hat.

These days it's all about smart DNS services, these are special DNS addresses which you can just use in the router to replace those from your ISP. Unlike VPN there is no slow down with your connection.

I would recommend OverPlay Smart DNS and there are others.

SmartDNS is not the same as VPN in any way, shape, or form.

In addition, the Smart DNS services are not always faster. I did some extensive testing of lookups, etc and found that the Comcast DNS is significantly faster than any public DNS servers around me.

SmartDNS is not the same as VPN in any way, shape, or form.

In addition, the Smart DNS services are not always faster. I did some extensive testing of lookups, etc and found that the Comcast DNS is significantly faster than any public DNS servers around me.

Hmm, dunno what your point is, all I said was that a slow VPN is not needed and these days not the best solution for streaming from servers outside of your own geographical area. I didn't say they are same.

Additionally OverPlay SmartDNS is not a public DNS server and it's certainly is as fast as my ISP servers.

The point I'm trying to make is that a SmartDNS service doesn't route traffic through a VPN server and so it won't slow down the connection.

Anyway probably going off topic for this thread so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:
I just installed this firmware and noticed a really annoying bug...
I had configured everything and I wanted to test the WAN speed without acceleration, so I disabled NAT Acceleration and at the same time disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol(because I don't need it). The router rebooted and everything was gone... It did a complete reset. Don't know which of the 2 options caused this. But really annoying, back to set everything up again...

completely unusable range and performance for me on both bands on the RT-N66 - even using the EM builds after a full reset.

Have reverted back to last SDK5 build which is much better with about double the useable range from the router.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!