What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.39 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

just copy and paste it into whatever you use for terminal access; telnet, ssh, even the 'run cmd' page could probably do it.

just executing the command wont make the changes persistent, so if it's useless you can just reboot the router

I will try that, what about the whole update the firmware, If i use the save settings with current firmware will i be able to still use them in new one?

backing up jffs should be a simple matter, really; enable sshd, download WinSCP, setup an SCP connection to the router and copy/paste the contents of /jffs to the computer.

or attach a usb drive to the router and;

cp -r /jffs /mnt/sda1

you could probably do this with ftp, too

other than that, you'll need to restore factory defaults when you flash the newer firmware. the built-in backup wont help

backing up jffs should be a simple matter, really; enable sshd, download WinSCP, setup an SCP connection to the router and copy/paste the contents of /jffs to the computer.

or attach a usb drive to the router and;

cp -r /jffs /mnt/sda1

you could probably do this with ftp, too

other than that, you'll need to restore factory defaults when you flash the newer firmware. the built-in backup wont help

so the built in back file wont restore (not compatible) my mac address for wifi and QoS and the other setting i made in the router on the new firmware

the problem is more to do with it backing up lower level settings to do with wireless drivers, which is bad. if you were using a bunch of routers on the same firmware, i'm sure the backup would work well, but not for upgrading

the problem is more to do with it backing up lower level settings to do with wireless drivers, which is bad. if you were using a bunch of routers on the same firmware, i'm sure the backup would work well, but not for upgrading

so in general gona have redo the settings either way after a firmware upgrade correct? if so i will hold off untill i see good reason like big security flaw being fix between 372.31 and I really dont feel like spending hours reconfigure the router

i understand; still, test that command out for the ps3, i'm interested in hearing how that goes

ok I tested it that command does not help PS3 Network test fails the d/l test ,say router does not support ip fragments when ever QoS is on, now this dont stop me access online gaming and download but I think it might be slowing the connection down as alot thing i d/l on psn download at half the speed if that of what i get.

Last edited:
i assume you mean the ssh client you were using, such as putty? basically, just making sure you dont add the command to cron, it's meant to be used 24/7. just connect to the router while qos is turned on, copy/paste the command and execute. then, test the ps3.

i assume you mean the ssh client you were using, such as putty? basically, just making sure you dont add the command to cron, it's meant to be used 24/7. just connect to the router while qos is turned on, copy/paste the command and execute. then, test the ps3.

yah I did that i still get ip fragment not support by router when QoS and according to the one speedtest site I got work threw the ps3 brower I getting about 8 mbit down and on my pc it more like 60-110mbit depend on time of day, there all wired too including the ps3.

Not big issue was only thing i found wrong with this router, maybe once day I will try one the new firmwares to see if it fixed it, but for now i prefer not to have to redo all my settings and reinput all the mac address filters I have for my wifi

damn.

is your connection PPPoE with a 1492 MTU ? if so, you should manually set it on the ps3.

otherwise, i haven't a clue as to what the deal is with the ps3. been a little while since i had mine, otherwise i'd play with it.

just to be sure, this command copy/pasted perfectly?

iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

(one line)

yah I did that i still get ip fragment not support by router when QoS and according to the one speedtest site I got work threw the ps3 brower I getting about 8 mbit down and on my pc it more like 60-110mbit depend on time of day, there all wired too including the ps3.

Not big issue was only thing i found wrong with this router, maybe once day I will try one the new firmwares to see if it fixed it, but for now i prefer not to have to redo all my settings and reinput all the mac address filters I have for my wifi

With todays fast home broadband why would you even consider using QoS? If you do constant downloads just limit the downloads speed. QoS is quite useless in any other situation that you don't actually fill up your pipe.

With todays fast home broadband why would you even consider using QoS? If you do constant downloads just limit the downloads speed. QoS is quite useless in any other situation that you don't actually fill up your pipe.

QoS is pretty useful when configured right. probably the most useful thing is that it can completely nullify the impact of torrents while gaming. tcp streams, though, need to be limited or a more powerful device used to get the same results at high bandwidth

whereas merely limiting torrent bandwidth still destroys in-game latency

Anyone else having issues with the 2.4ghz? For some reason, i get 1mbps download speed on ookla speedtest. On 5ghz, i get 40mbps.

On my mobile phone, i always get a notification that says internet is unstable on the 2.4ghz. When i check wifi analyzer, signal strength shows around -30db.

Ive cleared nvram, tried em and non em version to no avail.

Edit: this is on n66u

My router is the RT-AC56U.

Is anyone experiencing wireless dropouts using 3.0.0.4.374.39? I've noticed my Chromecast randomly disconnecting and sometimes my phone will stall out and then seem to pick up data again. This is the 2.4 GHz N band for the Chromecast and both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz N band for my phone.

I can't really pinpoint a cause or if I'm imagining it but since going from 3.0.0.4.374.38_2 to .39 I have more issues.

Is there a good way to troubleshoot this and generate real data?

I'm having this same issue on .39 and it was not present on .35 for my AC66U

So after trying so many things, I ended up installing the Merlin firmware for my AC66U, however it didn't solve my issue.

http://pastebin.com/vzaYtkNJ
What do you think is causing the packet loss on the 5GHz frequency? I'm sitting about 4M away from the router, but behind a wall. 2.4GHz works fine, no packet loss.
It's impossible to game properly on the 5GHz because of that slight loss.

RSSI: 45
Signal Bars - Full
780Mbit connection
USB-Wireless Card : https://www.asus.com/Networking/USBAC56/

You guys are my last chance at fixing this.

There is something funny on the pptp vpn server. It connects on my Nexus 5 and then it disconnects on its own within seconds. Whereas the openvpn both servers working at the same time. Both the udp and tcp modes work fine with openvpn but pptp is having problems maintaining the connection for more than 20 seconds.

DNS Unblock Services

Don't know the proper place for a request but if it is not acceptable here, please lead the way.

Since this firmware enables the use of different DNS per user, right now for filtering purposes, can we re-use for geo-unblocking? Like unblock-us DNS to access US or UK services?

Would greatly appreciate it.

Don't know the proper place for a request but if it is not acceptable here, please lead the way.

Since this firmware enables the use of different DNS per user, right now for filtering purposes, can we re-use for geo-unblocking? Like unblock-us DNS to access US or UK services?

Would greatly appreciate it.

I think the best way forward, would to allow a custom input for DNS server settings, if that's possible?

I think the best way forward, would to allow a custom input for DNS server settings, if that's possible?

It's already implemented for the next release.

Is anyone experiencing wireless dropouts using 3.0.0.4.374.39?

After running with 374.39 for 2 days I also see dropouts and poor performance on the 2.4GHz band on my RT-AC68U.

I'm now back on 3.0.0.4_374.38_2 which seems to work a lot better.

Its the easiest of ways of limiting the bandwidth for some devices. and I like to gove lower priorty on some devices It not perfect but it works.

Is this why when I tried to use my custom dns servers i got no internet? or are dns server handled slight diffrent with cable compared to dsl? cause I could never use my custom dns servers

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!