What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.41 Beta 1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see a new WAN feature "Redirect to error page".

How does it work for a dual wan setup?

Quite frankly I have no idea. This option merely manipulates an nvram setting that Asus has implemented in the code. I looked at the code related to that setting, but I didn't dive into the Dual WAN code to see how they related.

Sorry, I did a search of this thread but could not find an answer. I do not have VPN enabled, but my VPN Status page shows OpenVPN Server1 as "Running". Why?

Asus and I manipulate these settings slightly differently. It's possible that it was a setting that was set to "1" in the stock firmware, and the switch to my firmware made the VPN start. If you disable it then it should be fine afterward.

Here is my output:

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Sun Apr 13 17:49:18 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66W:/tmp/home/root# ip6tables -t mangle -L -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 9466K packets, 7591M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 33507 packets, 3840K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 6022K packets, 7341M bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 47814 packets, 6990K bytes)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 5145K packets, 7282M bytes)
admin@RT-N66W:/tmp/home/root#

The rule does not show at all for you. I'll see if I can reproduce the problem with my RT-N66U (I only tested it with the AC68U, which has a different version of iptables).

I'm seeing the expected behavior, which is to say no error messages are showing up in my syslog (Comcast, IPv6). I don't know if an "I haven't seen the issue" response is helpful.

Not every Comcast customer is affected, it seems to depend on which node you are connected to. You are probably one of those who isn't affected.

Yep broken....

ASUS included needed driver for 4G high speed and E3276 above 20 Mbits, cdc_ncm, but they broke something else :rolleyes:

I can control the modem with this from putty

But I cannot figure out what else is needed...:(

We need a new "on-topic" thread for sorting this out and my english is somehow terrible. (and probably help)

EDIT some principles about this from dd-wrt
https://secure.dd-wrt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=874142&sid=a8f22085dd12871996e174d17b197112

EDIT/EDIT Connection script

http://paste.ubuntu.com/7250519/

--

Might be a good idea to create a separate topic for this indeed. Personally I have no way of testing anything related to 3G/4G USB dongles, so any issue there would have to be fixed by Asus, unless someone has a reliable fix to provide.

My very first post here.

@Merlin

Thanks a lot for keeping the firmware up to date!

I've installed 41 beta today (RT-AC56U). Run CMD option is not available anymore. Is it a bug or did you disable it?

P.S. I read elsewhere that you use the Intel AC7260 card. If you don't need WiDi functionality I would strongly recommend you to look for the Azurewave AW-CE123H card based on Broadcom BCM4352 chip. I was able to reach up to 47 MB/s when copying to the laptop from an HDD connected to the router via USB3.0 (RT-AC56U, 1000/800 MHz).

Run CMD option is not available anymore. Is it a bug or did you disable it?

It was removed, to improve the security of the router. If you need command line access, use SSH.

Per the release notes:

Code:
  - REMOVED: Removed the Run Cmd page as it was a security
             risk.  This is also needed to keep in line with 
             recent security fixes Asus applied to the
             httpd backend to limit what external processes
             it can run.

Parental Control Bug

Bug report: RT-N66U, Firmware: 374.40 (Merlin build)

Parental control
It is no longer possible to disable individual clients in the client list. Changes
in the list will not stick after applying.

How to reproduce: Uncheck a client in the list and then click Apply.

Has this bug been fixed in 374.41 beta 1? Thank you!

Hope I am not too late here...

As you work on future BETA and final release, what is the chance usb-harddrive re-mount option to be added onto webui?:D

Thanks,
/S

Not every Comcast customer is affected, it seems to depend on which node you are connected to. You are probably one of those who isn't affected.

I spoke too soon. I'm getting the neighbour table overflow message in the syslog.

Code:
admin@RT-AC68R:/# ip6tables -t mangle -L -v
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 45624 packets, 4136K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 4811 packets, 521K bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 15681 packets, 1477K bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 2756 packets, 281K bytes)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 17412 packets, 1756K bytes)

I'm also getting:

Code:
Apr 14 14:33:41 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Apr 14 14:34:29 kernel: br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address

I don't believe that's related, but am adding it as an additional data point.

I'm also getting:

Code:
Apr 14 14:33:41 kernel: br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address
Apr 14 14:34:29 kernel: br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address

I don't believe that's related, but am adding it as an additional data point.

I don't have Comcast and I occasionally see those in my log. Not sure what causes it.

@RMerlin very nice release. The router is going much quicker now and it resolved my CPU issue with the Asus disk sync which now not using anymore 50 percent of CPU when activated. Thanks for the good hard work !

just updated to 41 beta 1 today and every time i transfer data on lan i lose internet

One little bug not sure.

Under VPN settings i see:

PPTP VPN Server - Stopped

OpenVPN Server 1 - Running Last updated: Mon Apr 14 15:57:23 2014

OpenVPN Server 2 - Stopped

OpenVPN Client 1 - Stopped

OpenVPN Client 2 - Stopped

Toggle is off for VPN server however i do have my HDD shared and currently logged into AICloud. I'm assuming this is causing this to be "running"?

Okay here is what to do to fix this:

Go to VPN settings, VPN server Tab. Look for Server mode drop down box change it to open VPN and the page will reset and the toggle will magicaly be on. Turn it off and bam, you will no longer have the VPN service running.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
@Merlin, Well the patch for the comcrap IPv6 overflow did not work for the 68U either. Here what the log shows again. :( Guess i will bounce back to 5047 for now because i cant stand the blinking 5ghz light. I dont mind solid lights but flashing drives me crazy. As always thanks for your hard work on these builds. Jim !!

Apr 14 16:13:24 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Apr 14 16:13:37 kernel: net_ratelimit: 761 callbacks suppressed
Apr 14 16:13:37 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Apr 14 16:13:49 kernel: net_ratelimit: 405 callbacks suppressed
Apr 14 16:13:49 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table overflow.
Apr 14 16:13:49 kernel: ipv6: Neighbour table ove

Last edited:
Has this bug been fixed in 374.41 beta 1? Thank you!

I didn't test it personally, but I know Asus fixed something related to PC's webui in either 4887 or 5047. 374.41 is based on 5047.

@Merlin, Well the patch for the comcrap IPv6 overflow did not work for the 68U either. Here what the log shows again. :( Guess i will bounce back to 5047 for now because i cant stand the blinking 5ghz light. I dont mind solid lights but flashing drives me crazy. As always thanks for your hard work on these builds. Jim !!

It's odd how it resolved the issue for some users (based on the feedback posted on Comcast's forums where someone came up with that solution).

I guess it's back to the point where Comcast will have to fix this on their end then. I know they blame the Linux kernel, but seeing how there are MEGABYTES of daily advertisements being sent to their customers and forwarded by the modem to the customer's LAN, I highly doubt this is something normal. Sure, maybe the Linux kernel should drop these rather than fill up the tables, but these packets shouldn't reach the router for starter. Especially not at the rate of daily megabytes of traffic.

I'll still take a look as to why the rule isn't applied for MIPS devices.

Would have rather seen cmd from GUI only enabled for an https connection to the web GUI as a middle ground between ease of use
I went from knowing zero about it to being very comfortable using SSH in less than an hour. It really is THAT easy. See Merlin's excellent explanation earlier in the thread and do a bit of searching.

@RMerlin very nice release. The router is going much quicker now and it resolved my CPU issue with the Asus disk sync which now not using anymore 50 percent of CPU when activated. Thanks for the good hard work !

This is something that was resolved by Asus (the issue was inside a closed-source component) with either 4887 or 5047.

It's odd how it resolved the issue for some users (based on the feedback posted on Comcast's forums where someone came up with that solution).

I guess it's back to the point where Comcast will have to fix this on their end then. I know they blame the Linux kernel, but seeing how there are MEGABYTES of daily advertisements being sent to their customers and forwarded by the modem to the customer's LAN, I highly doubt this is something normal. Sure, maybe the Linux kernel should drop these rather than fill up the tables, but these packets shouldn't reach the router for starter. Especially not at the rate of daily megabytes of traffic.

I'll still take a look as to why the rule isn't applied for MIPS devices.

Thanks Merlin, I know this is a comcast issue and you are just trying to help the log to not flood with the error. I have been in contact with the comcast v6 team and they say they are working on it but thats as far as it has ever got.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!