What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 374.42_2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm trying to figure out what I need (or don't need) to do to set the overclocking in RMerlin's firmware. My bootloader version is 1.0.1.6 so:

1. My DDR clock speed already 666 and therefore do not need to run the ASUS DDR utility - is that correct?

2. With bootloader v1.0.1.6 does the overclock (Admin>Performance tuning) function increasing the CPU to 1000Mhz still work?

Thanks,

HB

RTAC68U / 374.42_2
1) Correct,
2) Negative.

You are welcome. :)

1) Correct,
2) Negative.

Thank you; that's a shame. Will #2 work in a future update or do I manually need to do this using something like SSH? I have zero experience with this - is there an idiot's guide somewhere that includes some recommended settings that (hopefully) won't set it into an endless reboot?

If the feature's being fixed for this bootloader in a future firmware then I'll wait as I do like the ability to be able to turn on or off using the router button.

Thanks again.

HB

RT-AC68U / 374.42_2 been running rock solid since release. :)

Awesome. Best router and custom FW ever.

You can overclock by logging into the command line.

nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit && reboot

Don't modify the memory speed. It can't be changed with the latest boot loader. Try 1000MHz first and run it for a while. Monitor stability and temps. After you've validated it, you can try higher. For the past couple of months I have been running 1200MHz for the CPU.

If the router hangs at reset, hold down the WPS when powering it on until the power light blinks. That will restore it to factory default again.

Thank you; that's a shame. Will #2 work in a future update or do I manually need to do this using something like SSH? I have zero experience with this - is there an idiot's guide somewhere that includes some recommended settings that (hopefully) won't set it into an endless reboot?

If the feature's being fixed for this bootloader in a future firmware then I'll wait as I do like the ability to be able to turn on or off using the router button.

Thanks again.

HB

May 31 16:51:24 pptp[1508]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto-diagnosis.phtml#lcp_timeout

Can you run the following command to see if the gre packets are being accepted?
Code:
# iptables -L INPUT
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
[B]ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:1723
ACCEPT     gre  --  anywhere             anywhere[/B]
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

You can overclock by logging into the command line.

nvram set clkfreq=1000,666
nvram commit && reboot

Don't modify the memory speed. It can't be changed with the latest boot loader. Try 1000MHz first and run it for a while. Monitor stability and temps. After you've validated it, you can try higher. For the past couple of months I have been running 1200MHz for the CPU.

If the router hangs at reset, hold down the WPS when powering it on until the power light blinks. That will restore it to factory default again.

Great - thank you I'll give it a go. Do I need set the over clock feature to off first or does this not matter?

Sorry, failing at the first hurdle - finding the router's command prompt. I found this on another thread:

http://192.168.0.1/Tools_RunCmd.asp

but this does not work for me with an error page saying settings have been updated.

I have tenet on windows 7. How do I access. Again using:

telnet 192.168.0.1

does not work. I have set router to allow telnet.

Thanks

edit - I've done it. Command on the W7 telnet is
o [router IP address]

Many thanks

Last edited:
Great - thank you I'll give it a go. Do I need set the over clock feature to off first or does this not matter?

I don't think it matters, unless you actually enabled it with the button. Leave it at the default off after a reset though. There's no need for it.

Last edited:
Sure I have no backup because router was supplied with 1.0.1.6.
So there is no previous version in wild or it depends on hardware?

Each bootloader contains some device-specific parameters such as the router's MACs, and the WPS pin. To flash someone else's bootloader, you will need to modify that bootloader first to inject your router's settings.

Bootloaders are almost never upgraded by manufacturers because they carry a very high risk of permanent bricking if the upgrade fail. Asus made an exception here with the RT-AC68U to increase the memory clock that was left too low, however bootloader upgrades aren't the norm.

And due to the high risk associated with it, I won't provide the matches and the dynamite for people to potentially blow up their 200$ router, sorry.

Each of the N66Us I have acquired have had a different bootloader too. Had a 1.0.1.2, then a 1.0.1.3 and now have a 1.0.1.4.

Yes, and I have tried with whatsapp, fb messenger, browser... Nothing was able to get through.

Edit: The test was on Asus RT-AC66U 2.4ghz

Did another test. I gave my 2,4 and 5G a separate ssid. After just switching from 2,4 to 5G gave me 30 seconds of Whatsapp. Back from 5G to 2,4 again 30 seconds.
Tomorrow I will take a fresh 68U out if the box and test again.

Thanks for the reply. On Another note I also got openvpn running and connecting correctly but later found out android doesn't support TAP mode which would work for what I'm trying to do which is basically connect vpn to my lan and rdp to pc's when needed without having to fwd ports from the wan.

Here is what I got when I ran iptables:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-N66U_3.0.0.4 Fri May  9 21:15:50 UTC 2014
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# iptables -L
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:1194
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTAB                                                              LISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:                                                              bootpc
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ftp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:8082
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:https
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:1723
ACCEPT     gre  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTAB                                                              LISHED
DROP       icmp --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ctstate DNAT

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FUPNP (0 references)

Chain PControls (0 references)

Chain logaccept (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level                                                               warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `ACCEPT '

Chain logdrop (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level                                                               warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `DROP '
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `ACCEPT '

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `DROP '

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `ACCEPT '

LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW LOG level warning tcp-sequence tcp-options ip-options prefix `DROP '

I had all kinds of problems with .42 firmware...

I had all kinds of problems with 374.42 firmware so now I am reverting back to .41 and everything works as it should...

I have an Asus RT-AC66U, and the problems I had with .42 was that I got Low-ID's on µtorrent (not connectable), an also the fact that 192.168.1.1 didn't work at all in Firefox, I had to use my asuscomm dynip https port 8443 in google chrome to be able to access the settings on my router.... But now I'm back at .41 and everything works as it should...

What may be the problem??? I also made a factory reset after uploading .42, and after that I configured all my settings manually but that didn't help...

Last edited:
I had all kinds of problems with 374.42.2 firmware so now I am reverting back to .41 and everything works as it should...

I have an Asus RT-AC66U, and the problems I had with .42.2 was that I got Low-ID's on µtorrent (not connectable), an also the fact that 192.168.1.1 didn't work at all in Firefox, I had to use my asuscomm dynip https port 8443 in google chrome to be able to access the settings on my router.... But now I'm back at .41 and everything works as it should...

No problem with uTorrent (I have it set to chose a random port) or Firefox here.

I had all kinds of problems with 374.42.2 firmware so now I am reverting back to .41 and everything works as it should...

I have an Asus RT-AC66U, and the problems I had with .42.2 was that I got Low-ID's on µtorrent (not connectable), an also the fact that 192.168.1.1 didn't work at all in Firefox, I had to use my asuscomm dynip https port 8443 in google chrome to be able to access the settings on my router.... But now I'm back at .41 and everything works as it should...

What may be the problem??? I also made a factory reset after uploading .42.2, and after that I configured all my settings manually but that didn't help...

Howdy.
or 374.42.2 is only for the RT-AC68 model.......

374.42.0 is for RT-N66 and RT-AC66 models.... ;):eek:

Unusual PPTP Activity

I have seen the following in my AC68U logfile several times in the past week and was wondering if I should be concerned. I have since turned off the PPTP VPN and have not seen any more. I did check the ip's and they are all from China.

Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: Client 183.60.48.25 control connection started
Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading ctrl packet length.
Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)
Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: CTRL read failed
Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: Client 183.60.48.25 control connection finished

I have seen the following in my AC68U logfile several times in the past week and was wondering if I should be concerned. I have since turned off the PPTP VPN and have not seen any more. I did check the ip's and they are all from China.

Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: Client 183.60.48.25 control connection started
Jun 1 14:56:36 pptpd[6773]: CTRL: Client 183.60.48.25 control connection finished

I've had the same thing appearing in my log since I turned on PPTP VPN. It's been like this for months.

Just to add I get the same IP address trying to access my network. It's usually accessed at the same time 7:45am.

There are lots of malwares, infected zombies or malicious users randomly scanning IPs trying to find vulnerable services, which might allow them to compromise the target network, and get control of remote computers as part of a botnet.

The general rule is, if you don't use a service, don't open it to the Internet. If you don't use the VPN server, keep it disabled.

You are most likely not specifically targeted, just part of a wide IP range scan.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!