What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 Beta 1 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anyone noticed a strange bug in the client-list system?

Wireless devices are shown with the signal-strength.
Wired devices with a RJ-plug icon.

But if a wireless device is not online (like my phone that connects only to check mail) then the wireless device is shown as an RJ-plus and is listed as connected by cable.

Any change of fixing this in the Merlin build?

Not sure how that could be fixed without doing quite a bit of rework of the whole client list system. Once a client is disconnected, the router can no longer tell if it was wired or wireless. The only info it has at hand is an entry in the ARP table. So, that's one I'll leave in Asus's hands.

There is a way to preserve the names. Under DHCP you can enter a list of MAC-adresses that should have a fixed/static IP-address. You can also enter a hostname. If you do this and save then the client list will use that name. The icon is lost however, but still...

Thanks but did you read the last sentence I posted under EDIT..

With this beta version, No matter what channel I set the 5GHz it says channel 36 and 20MHz in the log:

RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -92 dBm Channel: 36
BSSID: Capability: ESS ShortPre
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
HT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 36 20MHz (0xd024)
Primary channel: 36
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]

Mode : AP Only

With 374.43, all is normal:
RSSI: 0 dBm SNR: 0 dB noise: -89 dBm Channel: 153/80
BSSID: 08:60:6E:BE:06:B4 Capability: ESS ShortPre
Supported Rates: [ 6(b) 9 12(b) 18 24(b) 36 48 54 ]
VHT Capable:
Chanspec: 5GHz channel 155 80MHz (0xe19b)
Primary channel: 153
HT Capabilities:
Supported MCS : [ 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ]
VHT Capabilities:
Supported VHT (tx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9
Supported VHT (rx) Rates:
NSS: 1 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 2 MCS: 0-9
NSS: 3 MCS: 0-9

Mode : AP Only

No matter what I did reset, reboot, etc. I could not get the 5GHz to change from the setting above, Ch 36 and 20GHz same as Asus 376.1123...I will stay on 374.43. Router is 1st gen RT-AC66R...

Tried this on an N16.

My /configs under jffs disappeared after upgrade so I had to reformat. Only had dnsmasq.conf.add and was backed up so no biggie. Didn't expect to have to do this though.

Otherwise much more stable than 43, which I had only been using a few days (new ASUSWRT merlin user), but was rebooting about every day, even after NVRAM reset.

Figured I would give you this info and say thank you for the firmware!

My /configs under jffs disappeared after upgrade so I had to reformat. Only had dnsmasq.conf.add and was backed up so no biggie. Didn't expect to have to do this though.

There's a notice on the Firmware Upgrade page of your router warning you about the JFFS partition. That partition can change size if the new firmware is bigger or smaller than the current one, which can lead to loss of JFFS content.

What about dual settings for IPV6 in dual wan mode. For example, HE bind tunnel to static IP address which different for different wlan interfaces.

376.44 Beta 2 has been uploaded. Changes since Beta 1:

Code:
376.44-beta2 (29-Jul-2014)
  - NEW: HFS+ support for MIPS devices (N16/N66/AC66).  N16 also uses Tuxera now.
  - CHANGED: Updated N66U driver to Asus's 1071 build
  - CHANGED: Implemented RT-AC87U report of LAN port 4
  - FIXED: RT-AC87U port order was wrong on SYsinfo page
  - FIXED: Minidlna issues with Philips smart TVs
  - FIXED: Incorrect state report of port 1 on AC87U.  MAC and VLAN cannot be retrieved (AC87U)
  - FIXED: SSHD brute force protection wasn't working if Dual WAN was enabled and set to LB mode.
  - FIXED: Miniupnpd error flood in Syslog when using a Plex server on your LAN

NOTE: If you previously ran Beta 1, I recommend running the following commands over SSH after flashing Beta 2, to fix any potential incorrect nvram value that might have been left there by a bug in the 1779 GPL.

Code:
nvram set wl1_nband=1
nvram commit
reboot

After that, try again configuring your wireless settings. Let me know if those that were having issues changing channel/width are having better luck now.

I went back to using 374.41, as web pages load a tad snappier then this ccurrent firmware or 43_2.

After that, try again configuring your wireless settings. Let me know if those that were having issues changing channel/width are having better luck now.

I just tried on RT-AC66U & 68U and so far no channel issue in 5GHZ, in my case I have it set 149/80 and after restart it stay that way.

2.4 GHZ wireless channel also works on both and works with wide channel of 40 MHz as well.

I can confirm RT-AC66U doesn't have beamforming anymore.

376.44 Beta 2 has been uploaded.
Initial observation.

a. Wireless icon at top right does not report the "extension channel" for 5G connection. It only shows the control channel when mouse pointer is ontop of the wireless icon. According to inSSIDer I have the control channel and extension set properly.

b. wl0_country_code is set for US
wl1_country_code is set for Q2
regulation_domain is set for US
regulation_domain_5G is set for Q2
pci/1/1/ccode is set to US
pci/2/1/ccode is set to Q2
Are the Q2 settings above normal for a US RT-N66U B1 model? If not, what changed the settings?

Aside from the anomalies above, beta2 initially is stable with my ancient 66U.:)

Have I to set i to 1? N66U, Beta1 flashed, now beta2 ;)

Code:
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_nband
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

376.44 Beta 2 has been uploaded. Changes since Beta 1:

Code:
376.44-beta2 (29-Jul-2014)
  - NEW: HFS+ support for MIPS devices (N16/N66/AC66).  N16 also uses Tuxera now.
  [/quote]

Cool :cool:

I had 3.0.0.4.374.43_0 intsalled and flashed this over it.

AFter finishing, it said on the scrren to manually reboot.

After manually rebooting, all setting were gone, back to original.

So I quickly flashed back to 3.0.0.4.374.43_0, and did a factory restore, and then uploaded the settings file ( saved before flashing to beta2).

But the username still was admin, DHCP reservations gone, DDNS details gone, guest network details reset, DNS filtering reset, URL filtering reset, country, some other system settings as well.
But on top of that, all my SAMBA/NFS and usb hdd permissions, all gone :(

Is this supposed to happen?  is the saved settingsbackup meant to have all those missing on restore??

Cool :cool:

I had 3.0.0.4.374.43_0 intsalled and flashed this over it.

AFter finishing, it said on the scrren to manually reboot.

After manually rebooting, all setting were gone, back to original.

So I quickly flashed back to 3.0.0.4.374.43_0, and did a factory restore, and then uploaded the settings file ( saved before flashing to beta2).

But the username still was admin, DHCP reservations gone, DDNS details gone, guest network details reset, DNS filtering reset, URL filtering reset, country, some other system settings as well.
But on top of that, all my SAMBA/NFS and usb hdd permissions, all gone :(

Is this supposed to happen? is the saved settingsbackup meant to have all those missing on restore??

I've experienced this myself coming from the last stable FW from RMerlin to the new Beta1 FW.

I know it's not recommended but what I did, is save the settings to a file before flashing, then flash to Beta1 and import the settings. At least here, I didn't encounter any issues :)

Code:
Jul 30 12:15:02 openvpn[1638]: WARNING: using --duplicate-cn and --client-config-dir together is probably not what you want
Jul 30 12:15:02 openvpn[1638]: WARNING: --ifconfig-pool-persist will not work with --duplicate-cn

I need "pool-persist", is it possible to remove duplicate-cn from default config?

P.S. I understand what this is not error.

Code:
Jul 30 12:15:02 openvpn[1638]: WARNING: using --duplicate-cn and --client-config-dir together is probably not what you want
Jul 30 12:15:02 openvpn[1638]: WARNING: --ifconfig-pool-persist will not work with --duplicate-cn

I need "pool-persist", is it possible to remove duplicate-cn from default config?

P.S. I understand what this is not error.

when you switch on 'client-to-client', or one of those last 3 switches anyway, the 'duplicate-cn' is removed.

verify by checking; /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn (with server enabled)

when you switch on 'client-to-client', or one of those last 3 switches anyway, the 'duplicate-cn' is removed.

verify by checking; /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn (with server enabled)

not for me(

Code:
# Automatically generated configuration
daemon
server 192.168.121.0 255.255.255.0
proto udp
port 1196
dev tun21
cipher BF-CBC
comp-lzo yes
keepalive 15 60
verb 3
push "route 192.168.123.0 255.255.255.0"
client-config-dir ccd
client-to-client
duplicate-cn
push "dhcp-option DNS 192.168.123.1"
ca ca.crt
dh dh.pem
cert server.crt
key server.key
status-version 2
status status

# Custom Configuration
client-config-dir /jffs/configs/openvpn/ccd1
ifconfig-pool-persist /jffs/configs/openvpn/ip-pool1 86400

SmartSync uses 96% of processor

Hi Merlin!

Just updated from beta1 to beta2 and decided to give Aicloud + SmartSync a try... until I figure out how to regain secure access to lighttpd (owncloud) and ssh.

In the new graph bar the cpu was at 100% all the time... until I disabled SmartSync (and keep AiCloud on).

The command TOP showed inotify using almost all the cpu constantly.
I have a RT-16N with a 320gb ext3 connected, using entware and firmware .43 beta2

Just wanted to report that. From now on I will go back to owncloud using a VPN to access it (which is more secure, i belive... but is harder to set up in my cell phone and mi wifes one... not to mention that sharing with others is out off the table for the momento :)

Other than the SmartSync thing, these new betas are working good ;)
Thanks!

I've experienced this myself coming from the last stable FW from RMerlin to the new Beta1 FW.

I know it's not recommended but what I did, is save the settings to a file before flashing, then flash to Beta1 and import the settings. At least here, I didn't encounter any issues :)

yeh, I did that before going from 43_0 to 44.beta2, but it had all those missing, then reflashed 43 fw and restored settings file, but they were still missing...:(

Installed Beta_2 and it killed my 5GHz band on my RT-AC66R. I ran the nvram commands as instructed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!