What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.48 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi Merlin, I can not set static DNS (fooldns) internet 3g dongle.
With tomato shibby work.
Help me.
router rt-n16.

Same. Don't hijack a thread aimed at tracking down issues in this beta build with generic support questions.

BTW, it's very strange. I rebooted the router another time and this time I was 15 min, before restart my WAN connection. Before restart the WAN, this is the situation I had (check the files enclosed; as you can see in WAN.png I was correctly connected and also my tray icon on PC reported I had no connection issue). When I restart the WAN, the connection to internet was restablished. With .47 and previous version I never had such problems with WAN connection, and it was always in PPPOE.

What could it be related to such issue? I didn't try to revert back to .47, but I'm quite sure the problem will not ocur in that case

You still have critical events such as the firewall and the nasapps service starts being skipped at boot because something on your router is getting stuck at boot time. Considering the amount of customization you have on your setup, you will have to start by reducing the number of variables to a minimum. Disable unnecessary services, and remove any customized config file.

Need more details:

- What's the Windows version?
- Can you access it by manually entering \\192.168.1.1\ (change to whatever is your router's IP)
- How are your shares configured on the router?

Windows 8.1

I will have to re-install the beta 2 and try to manually browse to it.

- I have the drive partitioned with ext3 and it's just a Media folder that is shared.

You still have critical events such as the firewall and the nasapps service starts being skipped at boot because something on your router is getting stuck at boot time. Considering the amount of customization you have on your setup, you will have to start by reducing the number of variables to a minimum. Disable unnecessary services, and remove any customized config file.

Hi Merlin, those are the files I have for the config and scripts parts on JFFS:

Firewall-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 51515 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 51515 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9091 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 4712 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 4711 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 4662 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 4672 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 4665 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p udp --destination-port 4662 -j ACCEPT
#iptables -t nat -I prerouting_wan -p tcp --destination-port 4712 -j ACCEPT
#iptables -I input_wan -p tcp --destination-port 4712 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 9097 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 7227 -j ACCEPT
#iptables -t nat -A prerouting_wan -p tcp --destination-port 7227 -j ACCEPT
#iptables -A input_wan -p tcp --destination-port 7227 -j ACCEPT

# General new connection rate limiting for DOS and Brute Force protection
#iptables -I INPUT -p TCP -m state --state NEW -m limit --limit 60/minute --limit-burst 5 -j ACCEPT

init-start:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/MAT_BIGGEST
mkdir -p /tmp/mnt/optware
swapon LABEL=SWAP

dnsmasq.conf:
Code:
pid-file=/var/run/dnsmasq.pid
user=nobody
resolv-file=/tmp/resolv.conf
servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq
no-poll
min-port=4096
bind-dynamic
interface=br0
interface=ppp1*
no-dhcp-interface=ppp1*
no-negcache
cache-size=4096
dhcp-range=lan,192.168.1.2,192.168.1.254,255.255.255.0,86400s
dhcp-option=lan,3,192.168.1.1
dhcp-option=lan,252,"\n"
dhcp-lease-max=253
dhcp-authoritative
read-ethers
addn-hosts=/etc/hosts.dnsmasq
interface=tun21
log-async=5

fstab:
Code:
LABEL=MAT_BIGGEST /tmp/mnt/MAT_BIGGEST ext3 rw,nodev,noatime 0 0
LABEL=optware /tmp/mnt/optware ext3 rw,nodev,noatime 0 0
LABEL=SWAP none swap sw 0 0

smb.conf:
Code:
[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = RT-AC68U
server string = RT-AC68U
unix charset = UTF8
display charset = UTF8
log file = /var/log.samba
log level = 0
max log size = 5
security = SHARE
guest only = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
pam password change = no
null passwords = yes
max protocol = NT1
passdb backend = smbpasswd
smb encrypt = disabled
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
force directory mode = 0777
force create mode = 0777
max connections = 5
obey pam restrictions = no
use spnego = no
client use spnego = no
disable spoolss = yes
host msdfs = no
strict allocate = No
bind interfaces only = yes
interfaces = br0 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
use sendfile = yes
map archive = no
map hidden = no
map read only = no
map system = no
store dos attributes = yes
dos filemode = yes
oplocks = yes
level2 oplocks = yes
kernel oplocks = no
wide links = no
[MAT_BIGGEST]
comment = Toshiba External USB 3.0 MAT_BIGGEST
veto files = /.__*.txt*/asus_lighttpdpasswd/
path = /tmp/mnt/MAT_BIGGEST
writeable = yes
dos filetimes = yes
fake directory create times = yes

Do you see something wrong in them that could cause those problems at boot?

Ok, after some digging, maybe the problem is related to init-start script: I guess I need to change the script to "pre-mount"; is that correct? Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: nope, i rebooted the router but the problem still persists...keep digging

Last edited:
Ok, after some digging, maybe the problem is related to init-start script: I guess I need to change the script to "pre-mount"; is that correct? Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: nope, i rebooted the router but the problem still persists...keep digging

Your init-start script is trying to mount a swap partition long before the router has even mounted USB disks. That needs to be moved to a post-mount script.

Windows 8.1

I will have to re-install the beta 2 and try to manually browse to it.

- I have the drive partitioned with ext3 and it's just a Media folder that is shared.

In addition to testing direct browsing, also please test changing the Master Browser configuration on the router. If you can browse but you can't see the router, it's probably an issue with the browser master service. It would be interesting then to know if it's currently provided by the router (if you force it on the webui), or by a random device on your LAN - could be any PC, router or NAS that has Samba on it - the master browser on a network is chosen by a weighted election.

SNMP Data

I have been running SNMP polling on the beta2 load. All interface usage polling is working very well (MRTG/RRD graphs are correct). I believe that I have encountered one potential problem related to the wifi client association table. In short, the SNMP data does not align with the webUI data, nor the wireless log data; the latter two being correct.

Example (with only one Wifi client connected, all other clients moved to a different access point):

SNMP
--------------------------------------
Name/OID: wl2gStationMACAddr.1; Value (OctetString): E4:8B:7F:3E:E6:32
Name/OID: wl2gStationMACAddr.2; Value (OctetString): D0:23:DB:67:0E:80
Name/OID: wl2gStationMACAddr.3; Value (OctetString): 88:53:95:C8:44:B0
Name/OID: wl5gStationMACAddr.1; Value (OctetString): E4:8B:7F:3E:E6:32
Name/OID: wl5gStationMACAddr.2; Value (OctetString): F0:D1:A9:37:A2:93

WebUI -> Tools -> Network
Wireless clients (2.4 GHz) Associated: 0 - Authorized: 0 - Authenticated: 0
Wireless clients (5 GHz) Associated: 1 - Authorized: 1 - Authenticated: 1

WebUI -> System Log -> Wireless Log
2.4 Ghz
MAC IP Address RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags
5 Ghz
MAC IP Address RSSI Rx/Tx Rate Connected Flags
E4:8B:7F:3E:E6:32 A.B.C.D -61dBm 65/6 Mbps 17:59:02 AU

It would appear that if I poll the entire .1.3.6.1.4.1.2623.4.1.1.8.2 subtree, rather than accessing .1.3.6.1.4.1.2623.4.1.1.8.2.1.3.1.2 and .1.3.6.1.4.1.2623.4.1.1.8.2.2.3.1.2 directly, the 'ghost' (cached) data is updated to reflect the current status correctly on the next polling cycle. I am currently polling the latter two subtrees directly to get the count of connected Wifi clients per band.

Last edited:
Missing Checkbox Options - Samba

Just went in to setup my Samba folder shares and the check box / radio options are missing for configuring the access to them. I don't know if this is just a beta 2 issue or not as I upgraded from .47 release. I hadn't previously configured Samba in the previous releases since doing a clean install of the firmware. I did have it working in previous releases.

Tested it in Chrome and Safari under Yosemite.

Just went in to setup my Samba folder shares and the check box / radio options are missing for configuring the access to them. I don't know if this is just a beta 2 issue or not as I upgraded from .47 release. I hadn't previously configured Samba in the previous releases since doing a clean install of the firmware. I did have it working in previous releases.

Tested it in Chrome and Safari under Yosemite.

When running beta software it's usually a good idea to check past discussions to know what kind of issues you might encounter. The issue you are talking about was abundantly discussed in this thread, including this screenshot, this explanation, and this resolution.

Hello Merlin,

I am trying maybe all possible steps to reconfigure my N66W Samba share ...
I think it's a fail in source code in SAMBA 3.6

For now i temporary roll back to alpha4 build ( in this code you don't turn on Modern Samba for MIPS )

Hello Merlin,

I am trying maybe all possible steps to reconfigure my N66W Samba share ...
I think it's a fail in source code in SAMBA 3.6

For now i temporary roll back to alpha4 build ( in this code you don't turn on Modern Samba for MIPS )

That won't help me in figuring out what the issue is... It's definitely not a bug in Samba's source code itself, because Samba is used by millions of persons. It's far more likely a configuration issue, or a change in a default setting in 3.6. I can't reproduce the issue, and unless I can get some troubleshooting results from the few users affected, I won't be able to fix it, or point people toward what needs to be changed on their end to fix it.

Samba 3.6 is here to stay. I'm not going to revert back to the prehistoric 3.0.25 version.

When running beta software it's usually a good idea to check past discussions to know what kind of issues you might encounter. The issue you are talking about was abundantly discussed in this thread, including this screenshot, this explanation, and this resolution.

Thanks I had first performed a search of the thread, but my search query didn't turn up the one with the screenshot. I had seen the other two posts before but as they referenced just the USB and multiple partitions it didn't "seem" to be the same issue as I'm only using an SD card (which I forgot to mention in the original post), single partition and do not have any other attached drives.

Hello,

First of all, thank you Merlin for putting out so much effort in developing the firmware! I glanced through the threads and changelogs for latest 376.48 beta2, stable 376.47 and fork 374.43 and decided to give a shot for the latest beta for n66u which was running latest stock FW. I'm not sure whether it was a user error or something else but I managed to lose the settings to default after reboot, multiple times with different FWs. Simply put, what I did was:

1) Unplug all but desktop LAN, switch off all wifi devices, flash beta, power off with button, cord off 30seconds, cord back, WPS pressed 10 seconds during switch on and then relased. I configured the router settings by applying all the changes on every page. Then I decided to give it one reboot via webui to leave it running "fresh". Kaboom, all settings lost and I was greeted by the setup wizard. I configured the settings twice, rebooted afterwards via webui and lost the settings again.

2) Then I did the same procedure (with the factory reset to be sure) with the latest stable. Same thing, settings lost.

3) Then I lost my faith and flashed back to stock BUT decided to save the settings (learned my lesson finally) and do the final reboot with power off button, for some reason which I don't remember. After reboot everything was there. Okay, I noticed that probably it was necessary either to save the settings to disk (don't understand why this would have anything to do with the case) or reboot with power button instead of webui reboot. I never loaded the saved settings, just saved to disk.

4) I regained my faith and flashed with beta again, did factory reset, changed settings, saved, rebooted with power button and all settings were there. I even engouraged to do webui reboot afterwards and no problems whatsoever.

Do you guys have any explanation why power button reboot together with saving the file to disk would have anything to do with NOT reverting the settings to default? Did I do something wrong? I did the factory reset every time immediately after flashing the FW, before doing any configuration changes, i.e. I did not clear the NVRAM after doing the changes. :) I just realised that maybe logs would have been crucial but I was fiddling in the middle of the night and neither thought of saving the logs or writing to the forums. Same kind of issues are described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3008387d0ef340c30fe1a091fb94b506

Another question, what could be the reason for terrible ping both with 2.4GHz and 5GHz wlans? I had the same problem with the stock rom and with all of listed FWs which I tried? Although the connection is established, it can take up to 10 seconds before I get ping responds or web pages loaded. But then, after the initial lagging, everything is somewhat smooth until I leave it be for a while. This happens only with laptop (samsung series 9, 900x4d with Linux Mint 17 x64). Some hardware issue with my laptop? I did not have this problem with netgear. Do you recommend trying to change some specific setting? Could NAT acceleration have anything to do with this? Any improvements vs. flaws expected concerning the wifi issue, if I downgrade to fork 374.43? Thanks, and sorry for rumbling to the forums with highly potential TL;DR post. :)

Thanks I had first performed a search of the thread, but my search query didn't turn up the one with the screenshot. I had seen the other two posts before but as they referenced just the USB and multiple partitions it didn't "seem" to be the same issue as I'm only using an SD card (which I forgot to mention in the original post), single partition and do not have any other attached drives.

That's odd. Maybe the SD card has a hidden system partition, or a swap partition? You could check its partition table using the fdisk utility over SSH.

I'll have to see what happens with my own RT-N66U (I still have an SDcard in it for Entware) to make sure there's not a second related issue specific to the SDCard.

Hello,

First of all, thank you Merlin for putting out so much effort in developing the firmware! I glanced through the threads and changelogs for latest 376.48 beta2, stable 376.47 and fork 374.43 and decided to give a shot for the latest beta for n66u which was running latest stock FW. I'm not sure whether it was a user error or something else but I managed to lose the settings to default after reboot, multiple times with different FWs. Simply put, what I did was:

1) Unplug all but desktop LAN, switch off all wifi devices, flash beta, power off with button, cord off 30seconds, cord back, WPS pressed 10 seconds during switch on and then relased. I configured the router settings by applying all the changes on every page. Then I decided to give it one reboot via webui to leave it running "fresh". Kaboom, all settings lost and I was greeted by the setup wizard. I configured the settings twice, rebooted afterwards via webui and lost the settings again.

2) Then I did the same procedure (with the factory reset to be sure) with the latest stable. Same thing, settings lost.

3) Then I lost my faith and flashed back to stock BUT decided to save the settings (learned my lesson finally) and do the final reboot with power off button, for some reason which I don't remember. After reboot everything was there. Okay, I noticed that probably it was necessary either to save the settings to disk (don't understand why this would have anything to do with the case) or reboot with power button instead of webui reboot. I never loaded the saved settings, just saved to disk.

4) I regained my faith and flashed with beta again, did factory reset, changed settings, saved, rebooted with power button and all settings were there. I even engouraged to do webui reboot afterwards and no problems whatsoever.

Do you guys have any explanation why power button reboot together with saving the file to disk would have anything to do with NOT reverting the settings to default? Did I do something wrong? I did the factory reset every time immediately after flashing the FW, before doing any configuration changes, i.e. I did not clear the NVRAM after doing the changes. :) I just realised that maybe logs would have been crucial but I was fiddling in the middle of the night and neither thought of saving the logs or writing to the forums. Same kind of issues are described here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80954&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3008387d0ef340c30fe1a091fb94b506

Another question, what could be the reason for terrible ping both with 2.4GHz and 5GHz wlans? I had the same problem with the stock rom and with all of listed FWs which I tried? Although the connection is established, it can take up to 10 seconds before I get ping responds or web pages loaded. But then, after the initial lagging, everything is somewhat smooth until I leave it be for a while. This happens only with laptop (samsung series 9, 900x4d with Linux Mint 17 x64). Some hardware issue with my laptop? I did not have this problem with netgear. Do you recommend trying to change some specific setting? Could NAT acceleration have anything to do with this? Any improvements vs. flaws expected concerning the wifi issue, if I downgrade to fork 374.43? Thanks, and sorry for rumbling to the forums with highly potential TL;DR post. :)

10o2pw6.jpg

That's odd. Maybe the SD card has a hidden system partition, or a swap partition? You could check its partition table using the fdisk utility over SSH.

I'll have to see what happens with my own RT-N66U (I still have an SDcard in it for Entware) to make sure there's not a second related issue specific to the SDCard.

Here's the output from fdisk -l

Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 63.2 GB, 63249055744 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7689 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1               3        7690    61750272  83 Linux

Hi,
I am sorry if I missed this (I just did a search of this thread), but I have a RT-AC87R and this beta kills my 5GHz the next day , Meaning even my 5GHz light goes out, it does not even show on devices at all, UNTIL a reboot of the router? (will happen every 24 hours, after I get back from work since I installed it)

I first upgraded on top on the last beta, that was running great (the last beta), but last night I did a full reset and input of all settings manually and now after work again the 5GHz light is out on the router and nothing showing on any device. I also have a hard time even getting into the router (web log in page), or even get into it at all when this happens.

I am going back to the last beta for now.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
I am sorry if I missed this (I just did a search of this thread), but I have a RT-AC87R and this beta kills my 5GHz the next day , Meaning even my 5GHz light goes out, it does not even show on devices at all, UNTIL a reboot of the router? (will happen every 24 hours, after I get back from work since I installed it)

Are you running any custom scripts or configurations that is not part of the GUI? Also can you describe your configuration a bit more in detailed. I have been running the beta 2 now for the whole week without any radio or core routing issues with my AC87.