What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So how come Asus don't employ RMerlin?!

Because if they did, then I would have to follow the release schedule of their product managers, and deal with supporting like 20+ different router models at once, which would mean things wouldn't be any better than they currently are

Freelance development is quite different from business/corporate development. Being free of corporate politics is a plus.

Hmm, both work for me except for Bi-Directional.

Maby I have two left hands in that moment. I give it a try later one and lets see.

Octopus

I also noticed the memory stats are being incorrectly reported in the web gui

Can't reproduce here. Can you try booting with no USB disk plugged in (to ensure you don't have any swap configured) to see if it makes any difference?

Also post the output of the following command, run over SSH:

Code:
free -m

As I previously explained, favicon.ico is not part of the DLNA protocol. Any client that relies on favicon.ico is broken. The correct DLNA method is to push the icon through the DLNA protocol in the upnp:icon field, which minidlna does properly. I get the icons in both Plugplayer (Nexus tablet) and in Windows 8.1's network locations.

favicon.ico is for web browsers only. If your DLNA client tries to use favicon.ico instead of the upnp:icon standard, then they need to fix their code.

Hi Merlin, thanks for the update,this is not a issue with the clients, this (miscellaneous) issue has been around for awhile, you may get the correct icon with your router, but on the rt-n66 and rt-ac66 its broken, maybe its a MIPS build issue.
I also have a Dsl-n55u , this device show the correct icon in the dlna clients as once did the Rt-ac66.
Thanks for your time.

Maby I have two left hands in that moment. I give it a try later one and lets see.

Did you check the content of /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn when you try the different settings? (or server2 if you are using the second server instance).

Did you check the content of /etc/openvpn/server1/config.ovpn when you try the different settings? (or server2 if you are using the second server instance).

No i did not, next time I test again. I only use server1 atm.
Probably new try in next week.

Octopus

AC68P upgraded to 376.49 with full reset. Making progress with v6 issues, but noticed the following in the log regarding v4 DNS that I've never seen before with any other version. What does "for domain bad" mean and why is it showing up?

Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 2001:558:feed::2#53
Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 2001:558:feed::1#53
Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 75.75.76.76#53 for domain bad
Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 75.75.75.75#53 for domain bad
Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 75.75.75.75#53
Dec 31 19:00:23 dnsmasq[679]: using nameserver 75.75.76.76#53

Last edited:
Can't reproduce here. Can you try booting with no USB disk plugged in (to ensure you don't have any swap configured) to see if it makes any difference?

Also post the output of the following command, run over SSH:

Code:
free -m

Yup, it sure was the swap! resizing the swap partition from 8GB to 4GB fixed this issue.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I also solved the port forwarding issue I had.. using "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE" with .49 is a big no no (was running ok with .48.1)... had to rewrite the rules for local port and site-2-site traffic forwarding - new rules:

iptables -I FORWARD -i tun21 -o tun22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i tun22 -o tun21 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun21 -j MASQUERADE
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun22 -j MASQUERADE

do not know if it got lost in the board issues as did not see it.the clients list dhcp and static are reversed.dhcp shows as static and static as dhcp.no biggie but cosmetics right?
thanks for your great work rtn-16

My RT-N66U don't like to be maxed out on the 5 GHz band anymore, if I transfer files over NFS/SMB/SCP from my NAS to my computer using 5 GHz band the 5 GHz band dies for everyone, all devices timeout. You can still see the SSID but you can't connect to it, when this happens I can still connect to the 2.4 GHz band to access the router. Nothing gets written to syslog/dmesg when this has happened, and to fix it I have to reboot or execute "/sbin/restart_wireless".

Anyone else noticed anything like this when stressing the 5 GHz band heavily? I get the same issue on stock firmware so I dont know if I should blame the 6.30.163.2002 (r382208) driver or my router as the cause.

Tried with two different wireless adapters TP-Link TL-WDN4800 and Asus USB-N53. It only kills the 5 GHz when im stressing the 5GHz band with the TL-WDN4800 (approx 150Mbit/s), feels like the cause is that im not reaching the same high speeds with the Asus USB-N53(approx 110Mbit/s).

Tried to contact Asus Support in my country, too bad they where to no help, just said I should flash the latest firmware, that I already told them that I had on the router.

Anyone got a clue how to fix this, or to troubleshoot it further?

Best Regards
twau

Last edited:
do not know if it got lost in the board issues as did not see it.the clients list dhcp and static are reversed.dhcp shows as static and static as dhcp.no biggie but cosmetics right?
thanks for your great work rtn-16

They show fine for me. However Asus did mention in their own changelog that under certain situation the wrong state might be displayed.

Hi Merlin, thanks for the update,this is not a issue with the clients, this (miscellaneous) issue has been around for awhile, you may get the correct icon with your router, but on the rt-n66 and rt-ac66 its broken, maybe its a MIPS build issue.
I also have a Dsl-n55u , this device show the correct icon in the dlna clients as once did the Rt-ac66.
Thanks for your time.

Then this is a totally different issue, which has nothing to do with favicon.ico. I will have to check if the icon gets correctly copied on install with MIPS routers.

The first post lists the first (3) known issues as fixed. Does this mean they are fixed in this build, or will be fixed in the next, not yet released build?

The first post lists the first (3) known issues as fixed. Does this mean they are fixed in this build, or will be fixed in the next, not yet released build?

These known issues will be included / fixed in the next release.

I have had to go back to 48. There are 2 iMacs here and on 49 both wireless networks would not re-establish after they were put to sleep. It required the wireless network to be disabled and re-enabled to establish the connection again.
On 48 do not have that issue.

I have had to go back to 48. There are 2 iMacs here and on 49 both wireless networks would not re-establish after they were put to sleep. It required the wireless network to be disabled and re-enabled to establish the connection again.
On 48 do not have that issue.

Did you do a reset to factory defaults as suggested? Did you setup new SSID's, or, 'forget' the network settings on each i device and then re-associate? Also, which router do you have?

Did you do a reset to factory defaults as suggested? Did you setup new SSID's, or, 'forget' the network settings on each i device and then re-associate? Also, which router do you have?

I always reset to factory defaults, clear NVRAM etc.
Each device has the network cleared and re-entered.
Router is Asus RT-AC87U.
I have no issues on Merlins 48 or Asus firmware.
Issue was only on Merlins 49.
it is only issue I have, everything else was working great.
Both iMacs are the latest retina versions.

Last edited:
As I previously explained, favicon.ico is not part of the DLNA protocol. Any client that relies on favicon.ico is broken. The correct DLNA method is to push the icon through the DLNA protocol in the upnp:icon field, which minidlna does properly. I get the icons in both Plugplayer (Nexus tablet) and in Windows 8.1's network locations.

favicon.ico is for web browsers only. If your DLNA client tries to use favicon.ico instead of the upnp:icon standard, then they need to fix their code.

Hello Merlin
Thanks alot for your reply

Sorry if I made confusion, I associated the missing router icon with the 404 error but now I understand that favicon.ico is asked by samsung tv as "last chance" after realizing that it cannot retrieve the default icon trough DLNA

Thanks alot again for your explanation

BR
Ocram

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!