What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 376.49 is now available, for all supported models.

UPDATE:: 376.49_2 has been uploaded, resolving Asus DDNS and OpenVPN server webui issues
UPDATE 2: The RT-AC87U builds were moved to the Beta folder while investigating two reports of a boot loop issue with this release. Details in this post.
UPDATE 3: 376.49_4 has been uploaded, resolving issues including the RT-AC87U bootloop.
UPDATE 4: 376.49_5 has been uploaded, with a fix for security issue CVE-2014-9583.

The main changes of this release is the merge with GPL 376_3677, and the switch to a new IPv6 implementation.

Feature highlights:

• Asus's GPL 376_3677 has been merged in. Amongst other things, this release contains a lot of code updates related to the 3G/4G USB modem support.
  • I have enabled Asus's new IPv6 architecture, which replaces radvd+rdnssd with dnsmasq's new built-in router advertisement support and odhcpc. This should hopefully improve general compatibility and reliability with various IPv6-enabled ISPs.
  • Speaking of IPv6, DNSFilter now has some partial support for IPv6. The IPv6 implementation will work the same way as Asus's own, which means any available IPv6 server will be provided through RA/DHCP, and the use of any other server will be blocked by the firewall (as it's not possible to redirect them like DNSFIlter does with IPv4). So far, YandexDNS is the only DNS provider which offers IPv6 servers.
  • For the RT-AC87U, the DPI engine from the 378_3123 beta has been merged in, as well as the Quantenna driver from that same release (v36.7.3.23). This is not the same version as used in the recent .378_3562 beta Asus released, as I don't have the userspace source code to implement it - we'll have to wait for a GPL release.
  • The VPN webui has been reworked, to be closer to Asus's latest webui. This means that PPTPD and OpenVPN Server each have their own tabs now, and instead you can select between General or Advanced settings within each server tab. This should make it easier to keep in sync with Asus's own future VPN changes.
  • The USB 3.0 driver code from the kernel (xhci) was updated with newer code taken from the Netgear GPL. This code seems to be a backport of a newer 3.x Linux kernel. This is to possibly help improve USB 3.0 compatibility with certain drives.

Doing a factory default reset is recommended, but not mandatory. Feel free to try your chance at keeping your existing configuration (it worked fine for me), however if you encounter any odd issue, please make sure you do try a factory default reset before posting about it on the forums. I'd rather avoid the flood of "my 5 GHz band is gone" reports from 376.48 that could have been avoided by either applying the posted fix, or doing a factory default reset.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
UPNP

Any changes to the UPNP on this release?
Thanks Merlin!

Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the great work and just wanted to let you know that most LTE modems (tried E3272 and E3276) still do not work on ASUS AC87U properly.

Even to download the latest firmware from the server you're hosting it on I had to get my laptop and use my telephone as a router to start the download. If I tried it on my "normal network" with the USB modem the site would open a new tab, hang there for a couple of seconds and that's it. The download didn't even start and it's similar to other pages that get stuck on scripts or advert servers.

Latest firmware has the same issue, that way I guess it's time to get a real router that doesn't only advertise 3G/4G compatibility, but simply works.

Thank you for this great port Merlin..

Btw, is there any chance of adding support for Microsoft's OneDrive and Google Drive instead of just Dropbox? Regards.

Hi Merlin,

Thank you for the release. I really appreciate your tough work.

I have also found that 376.49_0 doesn't work with Huawei E3276 on RTN66u but it does on vanilla 376.3602.

I know that 4G support it's not your target becouse you're not using such hardware but are you able to look into it?

Edit: It is strange. I've flashed newest vanilla 376_3657 and I found that E3276 is not working. But it does on the previous one 376_3602. Weird...

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

I might have come across an issue... OpenVPN server1 is running but no users are listed at the bottom of the page. I've tried adding them but as soon as the page refreshes they disappear. when I run "nvram show" I can see the users details and I can log into the VPN as a client. It's a minor issue as the accounts I need are there but I can't edit (remove) them using the VPN webui.

DDNS

Cant seem to get DDNS to work with this version. I had used asuscomm.com as the host but it no longer works. (N66U)

I did a factory reset.

I type in the name and click apply, and nothing?

Regards

Last edited:
If you have problems on the Asus DDNS page (Apply does nothing), there is an easy fix..

Open an ssh session and type in:

nvram set ddns_server_x=WWW.ASUS.COM
nvram set ddns_hostname_x=CHANGEME.asuscomm.com /--CHANGEME should be replaced with the name you wish to have.
nvram set ddns_refresh_x=21
nvram set ddns_update_by_wdog=1
nvram set ddns_wildcard_x=0
nvram set ddns_ipaddr=YOUR IP GOES HERE ex. 123.45.67.89 /--make sure this is your EXTERNAL IP http://www.whatismyip.com/
nvram set ddns_return_code_chk=,200
nvram set ddns_enable_x=1
nvram commit

This fixed mine, Hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
DDNS working just fine with DNSOMATIC.

EDIT: No-IP.COM is present 2 times in drop down menu.

Last edited:
traffic is no longer being forwarded with virtual server/port forwarding instances.. all was ok with .48.1 ac68u

Have no problems with 376.49. Awesome firmware, thanks!

IPv6 LAN Address

The full IPv6 LAN Address no longer shows. Only the prefix shows (in the prefix field and the LAN address field).

Hi Merlin,

I've been a long time user of your software and have never had a problem. I just installed this version on my N66U (running in AP mode) connected to my AC66U. I run Norton Internet security and noticed this warning from Norton. When I log into the router admin page i get the following warning

Norton Rating

Safeweb Share
Norton Safe Web has analyzed 192.168.1.167 for safety and security problems. Below is a sample of the threats that were found.
Summary

Computer Threats: 2
Identity Threats: 0
Annoyance factors: 0
Total threats on this site: 2
Web sites rated "Caution" may have a small number of threats and annoyances, but are not considered dangerous enough to warrant a red "Warning". Proceed with caution.
The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system. Learn more.
The opinions of our users are reflected separately in the community rating on the right.

Threat Report

small-warning Drive-By Downloads Threats found: 2
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)

Threat Name: Malicious Site: Malicious Domain Request 2

Last edited:
Hi Merlin,
Threat Report

small-warning Drive-By Downloads Threats found: 2
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)

I really wouldn't trust Norton IS with anything, the request is coming from a unit on your local network, and has nothing to do with the firmware.

[*]The VPN webui has been reworked, to be closer to Asus's latest webui. This means that PPTPD and OpenVPN Server each have their own tabs now, and instead you can select between General or Advanced settings within each server tab. This should make it easier to keep in sync with Asus's own future VPN changes.
[/code]

Bug report: Upgraded my RT-AC68U to 376.49, then factory-defaulted the unit. While reconfiguring my settings, I observed that when attempting to add a new userid/password combination underneath an OpenVPN Server instance Server 1, clicking the + sign underneath Add / Delete to add the userid, and clicking Apply, the webui emits the message Applying Settings..., however the new userid doesn't actually get added.

That IP address is the IP address of the RT-N66U...