What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 378.50 Beta 2 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

• Wifi on the RT-AC56U. Make sure it still works properly despite reusing the AC68U driver. Please report any change in stability, speed, range, etc... If some of you have the time, please test both the regular and the _dpi versions of the AC56U firmware, and let me know if you notice any difference in terms of wireless.
  • Trend Micro-related features on both the AC56 and AC68. AiProtection and Adaptive QoS.
I have just installed this beta2 with dpi on my AC56U, not the previous beta1, and a factory reset thereafter.

Wifi is working as usual and that dpi stuff works very nice. Here a screenshot while opening a youtube movie on my phone:

HvXLXvv.png

Some features will force it to disabled as they aren't compatible with it. That's why that setting is called "Auto" and not "Enable".

Thank you Merlin,

Yep, I disabled per ip monitoring and I was able to enable NAT Acceleration then.

Cheers,
D.

Is it possible to go over 100mv signal power on AC87U?
Unfortunately, this maximum value can't cover my area as Netgear R7000 did once.

No, as it is forbidden by the FCC's new rules, so Asus removed all the firmware code that handled reconfiguring the output and antenna gain for anything over 80mW.

RT-AC68U CFE still 1.0.1.6 ... how to force upgrade ?

After the upgrade you must do a factory default reset for all changes to be applied.

First of all, a big big Thanks to Merlin!

And a small bug found, when adding names and static IP to devices by pressing the device icon:
View attachment 3225

The DHCP page shows this:
View attachment 3224

The NAME for the added device is missing.

//Minglarn..

This is normal. The Networkmap only lets you configure a description, which is only used by the networkmap itself. The DHCP reservation page however is for the device's hostname.

If I modify Asus's Networkmap implementation, it will create new issues since the Networkmap page lets you enter content that's not valid for hostnames. That's why for now I am leaving it as it is, as there is no good solution for both cases.

My RT-AC68R was in 376.48 before I flashed the 768.50_beta2. It all seems to be just great, the CFE bootloader is 1.0.2.0. Thanks Merlin!

Please take a look at AiCloud, I can't login to the web client with a 20 char password.

AiCloud is closed source.

Regarding nmbd and smbd failing to start on my AC87U, I looked at the running processes on my AC66U and tried to start them manually:

Code:
/usr/sbin/smbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf
nmbd -D -s /etc/smb.conf

And now the services start OK. Some kind of race condition during boot perhaps?

I can't reproduce the issue here, Samba starts normally on my RT-AC87U, as well as on the development AC56U.

Still having custom dns issues...

So, my no-ip address was working under beta1 but my afraid.org host wasn't.

installed beta2 & configured custon ddns setup to run my afraid.org script. as with beta1 the page hangs waiting for a response from the ddns-start script which never seems to run!

script is chmod 777 so should be readable to all...

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/jffs/scripts# ll
-rwxrwxrwx    1 admin    root           232 Jan 27 14:33 ddns-start*
admin@RT-AC66U:/jffs/scripts# cat ddns-start
#!/bin/sh

wget -q http://freedns.afraid.org/dynamic/update.php?Medited0 -O - >/dev/null

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then

/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 1

else

/sbin/ddns_custom_updated 0

fi

manually running the script causes the DDNS page to respond with "registration successful" popup.

so, navigate back to home page and hostname appears there okay. try to navigate to said hostame from my phone, doesnt work. disable wifi so using cell coverage, page loads fine!!

RT-AC66U, although i would assume DDNS code common across devices

You must enable support for custom scripts under Administration -> System.

I can't reproduce the issue here, Samba starts normally on my RT-AC87U, as well as on the development AC56U.
Is there a difference in the start order when it is in AP mode? Mine runs as AP, but so does my AC66 where it works.

what bootloader version should my N66 be on when using this .50 beta2 F/W ?

My N66 is at 1.0.1.4. The N66 Boatloader is not updated as part of this release.

This has got me thinking about bootloader versions for my RT-N66U.

It is at 1.0.1.3 currently.

Is there any benefit to updating the bootloader on an RT-N66U?

What would the latest version be if I did?

And to keep this post on track; I updated to Beta 2 and no issues so far. :)

Hi Merlin, it seems I found a bug on AC68U with beta2: if I set some settings General tab on Wireless area (I set the language in Italian), after I apply the setting and the page reloads automatically, I cannot select the band anymore since the selector is gone. Reloading the page fix the problem. This didn't occur with 49.5. I reset all the settings

EDIT: In professional tab, it happens after I set for example 2,4GHz settings, then I select the 5GHz band and just after the page load, the band selector is gone. I reload manually the page and it re-appears

Try clearing your browser cache, or with a different browser. I'm unable to reproduce the issue here with neither Chrome or IE.

You must enable support for custom scripts under Administration -> System.

Of course! However, that wasn't intuitive, because the text on the DDNS page doesn't make reference to it.

And while enabling that option does mean the script runs automatically, I still cannot navigate to my afraid.org hostname, even though the same works when I switch off wifi and come in via my cellphone...

1. If SSID is hide, Site Survey scan (Scan Mode - Active) is not worked.

That's a technical limitation, not much I can do about it. Same if you use MAC filtering.

2. After save any WiFi settings changes, I can`t see WiFi frequency Group settings box.

Can't reproduce the problem here with neither Chrome or IE. Try clearing your browser cache, or with a different browser.

Asuswrt-Merlin RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_378.50_beta2 is not support MF823:

Asus added it to the rc/usb_devices.c source code, but they didn't add it to the webui - it's not on the original firmware either. Either you should set the modem to Auto for it to automatically use it, or it's a bug in the webui of Asus's code, not in my firmware.

4. If delete MAC-address from MAC-filter, and then add MAC-address, instead MAC-name I see MAC-address in all MAC table.

Make sure you only use letters and numbers in your device names. Cyrillic or symbols are not allowed, and will cause webui issues.

Of course! However, that wasn't intuitive, because the text on the DDNS page doesn't make reference to it.

I will probably add a warning on the page if one select Custom without first enabling custom script support.

And while enabling that option does mean the script runs automatically, I still cannot navigate to my afraid.org hostname, even though the same works when I switch off wifi and come in via my cellphone...

This is a completely different issue, either a name resolution issue (make sure the IP you get from "ping" is the correct one), or something on your network is preventing your NAT loopback from working (could be the destination of your forwarded port that has a firewall rule blocking it, for instance).

Hi

No problems so far with beta 2 , except for the VPN pages broken in some languages again ;) . PPTP Server tab and PPTP/L2TP Client.
Factory defaults and clear nvram, same problems.(IE,Chrome,Firefox).
CFE 1.0.2.0

Thanx

Which language?

This has got me thinking about bootloader versions for my RT-N66U.

It is at 1.0.1.3 currently.

Is there any benefit to updating the bootloader on an RT-N66U?

What would the latest version be if I did?

And to keep this post on track; I updated to Beta 2 and no issues so far. :)

People shouldn't mess with their bootloaders IMHO. The only times I ever upgraded one of mine was either because Asus wanted me to test something, or because they published an official upgrade that was required either to fix the memory clock, or to increase a partition size. Anything else is just not worth the risk, and will bring you next to no advantage. Quite often newer CFEs are mostly to support newer hardware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!